free hit
counters
'77 S1 - Steering Track Rod touching Anti-Roll Bar - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
wachuko

'77 S1 - Steering Track Rod touching Anti-Roll Bar

1977 S1

Learning about this cars.  Thanks to Bill I can see a lot of what he is doing to bringing back to life his recently acquired 1977 S1.

Question I had on something we noticed.  When turning the wheels to full lock (right or left), we see the steering track rod coming in touch with the anti-roll bar... can't be right.  What are the contributing factors to this??

A few photos:

3C873C23-9506-4E9F-8223-126C9B82EEBF_zps

Easy to see that the anti-roll bar bushings need to be replaced... but I doubt that is the only culprit.

1E67E069-EB75-48B7-B7C4-F1F6B5692804_zps

Suggestions?  I am searching but come empty on possible causes.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It looks like your wheels are off the ground (jacked up) in the photo ?

Its perfectly normal (yes, really !) when you turn the steering lock-to-lock ONLY if the front wheels are jacked up off the ground.  

Once the car is down on level ground the tie rod bars should clear the anti-roll bar completely.

It looks like your wheels are off the ground (jacked up) in the photo ?

Its perfectly normal (yes, really !) when you turn the steering lock-to-lock ONLY if the front wheels are jacked up off the ground.  

Once the car is down on level ground the tie rod bars should clear the anti-roll bar completely.

Car is on the ground... body is off at the moment.

IMG_0823_zps9d67f8aa.jpg

Yes, they all do!!

Paul.

Good to know.  Thank you Paul!

Without the weight of the body shell, same applies - the tie bars will touch the ARB.  

• Like 1

Without the weight of the body shell, same applies - the tie bars will touch the ARB.

Okay, good to know. Thank you.

I am so glad this has been discussed been going crazy having the same problem. body is off etc and have just reassembled the front end, been trying to diagnose the problem! Thanks