free hit
counters
Clutch wont disengage... - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch wont disengage...

Here is a bit of a trick question. Maybe some of you have experienced this...

This 85 turbo I just bought used to have a fully functioning "recently replaced" clutch, however, after about 3-weeks of sitting outside in the rain, the clutch wouldnt disengage (which is when the PO got fed-up and decided to sell it to me).

The clutch pedal operates and feels fine, and the foot pressure is smooth and progressive, lots of throwout movement, just as it should be, however the clutch wont disengage the transmission.

Question: what are the odds of A) diaphram gone south, B ) clutch disc stuck to flywheel, C) siezed pilot bearing , D) disc bind on the input shaft splines, or E) something else?

My concern is if I assume it is a disc stuck to the FW (which I suspect) and do the break-the-clutch-disc-from-the-FW-trick either by applying hard throttle or brakes, and it is a siezed pilot bearing that takes the shock, I could be into some bad news.

Sure, the best solution is to pull the thing apart, but if it is a little rust on the fw face holding things up, thats a lot of work to go to just to emery the faces clean. However, if it is the pilot bearing, its best to not dick with it, and just pull it apart.

Anyone had such an experience with their Esprit? Any other tests anyone has tried to eliminate posibilities?

Any bets or odds on what it is??

Once we get this dammed freak snowstorm we had last week melted off, I will have another look (didnt even get time to garage the thing before it was covered to the top of the door sills... global warming my arse..

thx J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B. Clutch disc stuck to flywheel :P

I have never had this problem with my Turbo Esprit, but have experienced it on a few other cars Ive owned.

Im guessing the previous owner fitted some sort of uprated clutch set up , which seems to make this problem worse. :D

I unstick them by starting it in gear,driving the car up and down a deserted road with my foot on the clutch pedal, braking and accelerating hard. :P

I used to know an Italian fellow who would unstick the clutch on his Ferrari 275 GTB/4 by having his mechanic raise the rear wheels off the ground with a jack, whilst he started and ran the thing in first gear with the clutch depressed.

The mechanic would then abruptly release the jack! :D

Apparently it worked every time. :)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I'll vote for B) too....I have had this on my 1982 turbo, after she'd sat for a looong time. She was not in any state to drive on the roads, as all the removable body panels had been removed for refinishing. I jacked up, placed on stands, depressed clutch, selected first gear and started the engine. Then it was a matter of using a "heel and toe" action on the brake and throttle, with the clutch pedal kept depressed, until the clutch friction plate unstuck from the flywheel. All fine after that.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

This happened to my elite and esprit last week. This is how to do it. Seems a bit crazy but it works. Jack it up,put axle stands under it, i'd recommend level ground and decent stands. Sit in it, start it in 4th gear, warm here up, rev her up and hit clutch, brake and thottle at same time. Somethings gotta give and trust me it will be the clutch. How did i hit all three pedals at once i hear you ask, i pressed the throttle down with the jack handle. took me four attempts until i had the balls to floor the throttle, and i did inform the wife to get ready to dig me out of the hedge .

try it ,shane

I would go for B if it was my car: although if the G-box has been removed then the nylotron washer could be missing, this would allow the input shaft to weld itself to the crank. (possible with the PO knowledge or lack of it).

However if it was fine when parked up then it has to be B :)

Good Luck

Don't know if my answer is appropriate, but it won't harm anyway :)

Maybe check if there's enough oil in the reservoir ; by changing the clutch, there might have been air bubbles in the circuit, and now you'll need to fill the reservoir up again ...

Happened to me some time ago :)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Don't know if my answer is appropriate, but it won't harm anyway :)

Maybe check if there's enough oil in the reservoir ; by changing the clutch, there might have been air bubbles in the circuit, and now you'll need to fill the reservoir up again ...

Happened to me some time ago :)

thanks for the input.. all seems well in that department tho' J

I would go for B if it was my car: although if the G-box has been removed then the nylotron washer could be missing, this would allow the input shaft to weld itself to the crank. (possible with the PO knowledge or lack of it).

However if it was fine when parked up then it has to be B :)

Good Luck

good point!

If you willing to get out on the road with a stuck clutch. When its happened to me I just start her in 1st with the starter....then get to a stretch of road and alternate between heavy acceleration and deceleration (engine breaking) while my left foot hold the clutch down.

Works almost every time. Just did a freind's 86 Turbo a while back after it spend a few months (long story) in the shop. Even the shop was afraid to do it. In this case in the time I launched her in 1st at the bottom on the shop's service area (under the building) to the time I stalled her hitting strret level...the thing became unstuck.

In th worst case (as with a 74 Elite I owned a few years ago, you will need to spray about one can of WD40 into the bell housing while cycling the engine between cold and hot. The street run after that broke it loose. The WD stuff is a penitrant (spelling) not a lubricant so no damage was done.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

Hi Jan

Happens to my '83 Turbo after I wash the engine then park it in the garage. Clutch gets stuck everytime. Now I drive the car around the block first before parking it over night.

Make sure she's aimed straight and has a clear section of road. Put it in first, depress clutch, crank and off you go!! Cycle the acceleration as mentioned above and THUMP its unstuck.

When did you buy an '85? You still rebuilding your '83??

Louis

'83 Turbo

When did you buy an '85? You still rebuilding your '83??

Louis

'83 Turbo

Good advice guys.. thanks

Hi Louis..

I was in the market for an F348/355 spider but realized that 2006 is not the best time to buy one, especially in Canada. As it turned out this 85 showed up November 23, 2006 shortly after I had decided to wait 2-years for an F-car. I am pretty excited about it. This one will be restored and kept original.. (the 83 is taking care of my creative desires).

I couldnt drive it, so I dragged it home, parked it, and snow covered it that night.. I got her dug out on Sunday but the drive is still covered with enough slush (now that 90% of the snow has melted) that I still cant move it into the garage (now that I have made a spot for it.) Hopefully this weekend.

I did manage to get a few small things sorted on sunday (like the dryer hose!) and some parts ordered for it from DBE. It needs a full interior re-finish as the windshield leaks (it has popped free at the top) so the interior is soaked...the dash leather is all lifted and curled up. Once I give the car the once (or twice over) mechanically, I will deal with the cosmetic stuff.

The car is actually in pretty decent shape other than the few issues it has. It even has rose jointed rear suspension and Spax adjustables all round.. which is cool.. that why it sits so low.

Id like to find out more about the "development" engine in it tho'.

It has great potential, but was quickly on its way to being a basket case.. rescued just in time, I say.

My 83 is a big re-engineering project, lately Ive been mostly building molds for the new parts. Been working on the bonnet, louvers and tailgate bucks, and have made some new mirror shells that are a bit more stylish but still use the OE mountings. I have a local shop working on my UL flywheel and have most of the linkage bits for the UN1/ GT3 clutch conversion (thanks to Mike Rodrigues) I now have a Pectel T6 ECU, S4 throttle body injection setup, and Mikes digital Smiths speedo (so I can loose the cable and read a wheel speed sensor thru the ECU instead). I have all the servo drives for the heater control valves and flap doors, and a electronic controller for mounting the dash knobs. All fun but time consuming.

I am really looking forward to driving an Esprit again.. the 83 has been a work in progress for 2-years now!!

Jan