free hit
counters
Fitting brake pads - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I need to replace the pads (front) on my S4s.

The question is - is it a 'standard' job - by which I mean taking the lid off the brake fluid, Pulling out the pins that keep the pads where they should be, sliding the old pads out, push the brake 'pistons' back enough to take the thicker new pads, copper grease on the reverse of the new pads - slide in, put the pins back in - no heavy breaking of 100 miles   ???

I had a sapphire cosworth and I tried to replace the pads on that, only to be told that I needed a special tool for the job.

I've done a bit of searching on the forum but can't quite get the answer - although one thread had a picture of the brake/disk assembly which looked like the 'generic' disk+pads I'm describing above (2 paragraphs back).

Thanks in advance

Steve.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are no special rewind tools needed for the front brakes, the Pistons do just push back in.

Make sure you don't overflow the fluid reservoir when pushing the Pistons back, if needed, remove some fluid using a straw dipped in the reservoir and a finger over the end....

Thanks for that - great news - no labour charges.

And - yes- I missed out the bit about stuffing a clean lint free material in and around the brake fluid container (plus I'll take your idea on board)

Most will probably know that my S4s was treated like a 'dog for christmas' (if you get what I mean) but gradually it's getting healthier and healthier.

I noticed that the disk brakes were rusty for about 1 inch of the edge of the disk.  This will be due to non-use in a seaside setting.

I might get the elbow grease out and carefully lift the rust off.  If  I don't do that then the pads will be ground into shape by the rust and have much less life to them.  

I've used green stuff on the Stag and there good.

This is going to sound a bit 'cosmetic' but the green stuff sheds very little brake dust !!

Thanks again for the info - much appreciated  - it was a pain getting the shagged pads back into the cossie's brake system.  Very annoying!

Green Stuff pads are inappropriate for an Esprit. They're bottom of the EBC range, why would you use the bottom of the range on a supercar? Splash out on yellow or reds.

I mentioned 'green stuff' as I found they were good on the stag,

I'll check out/investigate the other model pads (along with this and other forums speak of them.

"Oh God" - whats that about

To add to the confusion another pad that gets good write-ups is Mintex but I cant remember which ones.

While I was searching round the forum, before starting this thread, I did see the ferrodo name pop up with a thumbs up - so to speak.

3 people with 3 different recommendations! Bloody hell nothing is simple and straight forward - I need a 3 sided coin or start a voting system (AV) that the liberal democrats started a referendum for.

Ok - thanks for contributing - I'll search all over the web (not just Lotus) and see how they all fair.

This really goes off-topic but I don't want to start a whole new thread but....

I was walking back to my car in the carpark and I thought to my self  - how would you go about getting fuel in the car if the button system fails?  Hmmmm.....

I was walking back to my car in the carpark and I thought to my self  - how would you go about getting fuel in the car if the button system fails?  Hmmmm.....

Pull one of the levers in the boot :)

Edited by sailorbob

I run greenstuff pads all round, renewed with the same, they suite the car, and fast road driving. The harder pad you go more pedal pressure you need and the longer it takes to get them to operating temperature.

I also recommend you change/renew the shims at the same time. Check and lubricate the slides, check the runner boots.

If you intend doing track days then yes look at harder pads, but they need temperature to become effective.

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

EBC state green stuff are for hot hatches and cars of less than 200bhp. Bottom of the range.

Although I will never take it on the track that site is pretty compelling - more-so as its the manufacturers website.

Pull one of the levers in the boot :)

Thanks for that - committing to memory part of the brain............done

:)

I run greenstuff pads all round, renewed with the same, they suite the car, and fast road driving. The harder pad you go more pedal pressure you need and the longer it takes to get them to operating temperature.

I also recommend you change/renew the shims at the same time. Check and lubricate the slides, check the runner boots.

If you intend doing track days then yes look at harder pads, but they need temperature to become effective.

Thanks for the extra advice re - other related work

Bugger.

I went into the front 'bonnet' to fill up the screen wash.

Then I remembered that the brake fluid end of the business is a weird one (not like the later 'standard' type).

With warning like 'Warning High Pressure' I'm starting to back off.......

LOL!  The worse brake problems were on the Elf.  Bloody brake shoes.

Bloody circlips drove me mad(der) 

BTW - I rate the Stag as the most handsome car in the world.

The lotus is the most beautiful/stunning car in the world.

(not including prototypes and 'one-offs')

Dont worry my wife filled her washer fluid up with anti freeze the other day

I can see a benefit - i.e. if you don't like the colour of your car then squirting the screen will get rid of the ice/frost.   :-) 

Why is the emotion-icons :-)  and   ;-) not included under the basic smiley button?  You have to click 'show all' to search for the 'most used by a mile' emoticons .

Just a thought.  End of moan ........  :-D