free hit
counters
Exige S Automatic - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LF1

Exige S Automatic

Has anyone ordered/driven one yet? Come on you can admit it!

If it helps, I've got an Porsche PDK and love it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No but looking forward to it. Am I right thinking it's out March?

Trevor.

Yea, I really fancy trying it out too. I can't believe it would be offered unless it was pretty impressive, the figures look good. Only problem is I would want to try it on track, not the road.

Shouldn't be a problem, one of the B&C days bound to have one there.

Trevor.

Thinking about swapping my Exige soon, it'll be 2 years old in April.

I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a V6 automatic. In my opinion the manual box is the one thing that lets the car down.

I ordered the previous car 18 months before receiving it and only had a short test drive, so Ideally I'd like to try the automatic on track and a 24 hour test drive before making a decision.

You'll be able to test it in track I'm sure but there aren't many dealers if any who will allow a 24 hour test drive.

You'll be able to test it in track I'm sure but there aren't many dealers if any who will allow a 24 hour test drive.

This is the problem with only having a small dealership network.

When I owned a porsche, I had the dealer offering 24-48 test drives on pretty much any model.

I think the long term test drives would probably depend on what a dealer has on demo and demand for it as a demonstrator at that time.

I found the same with Porsche, they would only let you have it for a few hours when the cars first came out, but let me take one to France for a week a few months later when mine had slipped it's build date. So timing probably has a lot to do with it.

Agree with Bibs though, unlikely for any Lotus dealers to be running the full range of demonstrators, particularly when there are both manual and auto options now. Even the biggest Porsche dealer was only running PDK Boxster S and Manual 2.7 when the 981 was launched, so only 1/2 the range.

Maybe Hethel should put together a day to try out the cars on track? I know for certain I want to try the Elise S Cup on track and would really like to try the Exige Cup against and the Auto and see how they compare to my car, no doubt I'd come away ordering one of the three, so probably not a good idea.

Maybe Hethel should put together a day to try out the cars on track? I know for certain I want to try the Elise S Cup on track and would really like to try the Exige Cup against and the Auto and see how they compare to my car, no doubt I'd come away ordering one of the three, so probably not a good idea.

This would be a great idea!, something along the lines of what Porsche offer at silverstone.

This would be a great idea!, something along the lines of what Porsche offer at silverstone.

The Porsche offering is not all that great (style over substance), they put you in the whole range and do scripted drives. Only one session of the day allows you to actually push the car a bit on their road track for a few laps (not the GP Circuit). We have done a couple, the one you get with the car purchase is better because you get to do a lot of activities in the one car, but they want to charge you £1k to do it properly for the day. Last time we were there the best bit was picking my Elise back up from it's service and driving it home!

I confess, I bought one. I test drove the manual and wanted one before the end of the year, but all the dealer had in stock was the automatic. It's the 1st automatic I have owned, so am still getting used to it however when you have it in touring mode it has the annoying habit of changing gear mid corner. Okay, no problem I shall just use the flappy paddle to tell it which gear I want, however if you don't touch the paddles for 60s it reverts back to fully automatic. That's a bit infuriating, and if there is anybody out there who knows how to stop that from happening I would like to know? The only workaround I have found is to drive everywhere in sport mode where if you select paddle gearshift it stays in paddle gearshift.This has the added bonus of putting a huge smile on my face everywhere I go. The throttle blip on every downshift appeals to the repressed schooboy in me (I'm sure you can heel-toe every downshift in the manual, but that may get tiresome). The upshift as everybody has mentioned isn't razor sharp, however it just requires a bit of anticipation. So far I'm enjoying thouroughly, and haven't once missed my old manual AM Vantage.... which I guess is about as high praise as I can offer!

• Like 1

I confess, I bought one. I test drove the manual and wanted one before the end of the year, but all the dealer had in stock was the automatic. It's the 1st automatic I have owned, so am still getting used to it however when you have it in touring mode it has the annoying habit of changing gear mid corner. Okay, no problem I shall just use the flappy paddle to tell it which gear I want, however if you don't touch the paddles for 60s it reverts back to fully automatic. That's a bit infuriating, and if there is anybody out there who knows how to stop that from happening I would like to know? The only workaround I have found is to drive everywhere in sport mode where if you select paddle gearshift it stays in paddle gearshift.This has the added bonus of putting a huge smile on my face everywhere I go. The throttle blip on every downshift appeals to the repressed schooboy in me (I'm sure you can heel-toe every downshift in the manual, but that may get tiresome). The upshift as everybody has mentioned isn't razor sharp, however it just requires a bit of anticipation. So far I'm enjoying thouroughly, and haven't once missed my old manual AM Vantage.... which I guess is about as high praise as I can offer!

thank you for your feedback. I will buy an automatic soon.