free hit
counters
Flushing heater matrix - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Flushing heater matrix

Any tips on doing this?

I've really noticed over the last few days of driving in the cold weather that I'm bloody freezing. There is warm air coming out of the vents but it's fairly pitiful so I was considering flushing the heater in case that's where the issue lies.

Are there any chemicals out there worth using or just the good ol' garden hose?

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You can disconnect the heater hoses in the engine bay and get the garden hose to them. Flushed both ways made a big difference to mine

Don't do anything until the car is at least three foot in the air on your new lift. No reason - just because. :D

• Like 1

The water circulates from the outlet at the back of the head and goes through the heater matrix, returning to the water pump. So it's best to flush it through the other way....stick the hose into the one that goes to the pump. Remember what goes in, has to come out...so make sure the hose to the head is either going into some suitable receptacle or is pointing somewhere safe.......

The front of my washing machine can tell you why......

A load of gunge may well come out, and it can be very messy......(!)

Best to build up the pressure bit by bit...full mains pressure instantly can be a trifle fraught; projectile vomiting isn't in the same league.. 

Edited to add the absolutely obvious.....make sure the heater is ON first!!

Thanks chaps. It's on the list of jobs to do and this advice should speed up the process

Pete

It could simply be an air block. Get the car up to operating temperature with the heater switched on. Then carefully open the bleed valve on the rad assuming there is one on the S2 and let some coolant out.

If you don't want to do a real mess in the engine compartment, you can always try flushing from where the pipes come out of the frame in front. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but the smallest passages are in the heater core, I doubt it could block elsewhere.

Good luck

And once fixed, use it as often as you can so things circulate...

Edited by Mesprit87

I had the pipes through the chassis blocked on the front end,s