free hit
counters
Where to fit it all - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mdw

Where to fit it all

I have purchased most of the kit  to fit mapped ignition to my 88 n/a.  I could do with a few opinions on where to fit the coil pack and nodiz controller.   The nodiz is the same size a cigarette  packet  and I was thinking of fitting it in the bulkhead box where the OEM coil and other gubins are at the moment.  However they would like 500mm between it and the new ford  coil pack and I am not sure how much heat that should be exposed to.  Other options are the 2 above tank areas.  L/h side has less electrics running in that area but is close to the ht lead run.

The coil pack could mount on the engine side of the bulkhead box but then the nodiz would be too close if in the box.

Any opinions gratefully received.

post-1261-0-30751500-1421585168.jpg

post-1261-0-58582200-1421585384.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can anyone post a pic of the coil pack location and how its fitted  on a later esprit? Is it bolted to a panel or on a bracket mounted to the engine.

Thanks Derek.  Is that to keep it away from the exhaust heat? My problem is the ignition control box would fit perfectly in the old coil box but they want the coil pack ideally 500mm away from it.  There is a lovely clear space but is above  the  exhaust system.

Malcolm, if you look at the first photo in my engine removal thread, you can see the coil packs on the right hand side.

Thanks Ian.

Just replied in you engine topic, but can provide some photos for these thing to.

(This is for a modifed S3)

My coil pack is fixed to the inside of the removable panel that fits around the engine, on the drivers side, close to the fron fo the engine. The spark plug leads then all coil over the inlet cam housing and are bunched together through the middle of the throttle bodies and straight into the coil. You can just see the coil in this old picture of the engine, tucked behind the air inlet pipe/hose:

2013-04-11%2018.56.53_zpsrxh6999g.jpg

The ECU is fixed by a bracket to the side of the drivers side rear wheel arch, near the battery. I don't have apicture of this yet.

Scott

If there is anything else you would like pictures of then just ask!

Scott