free hit
counters
Porsche sold - I am serious now - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grahaml

Porsche sold - I am serious now

Well it sold easier than I thought - but I guess it is a good one - I cold have sold it three times over at least I reckon - must have been too cheap!!

So after taking on board all the advice from here (thanks) and my own thoughts I am looking for

Withe a budget of up to £20K (ish) - only if I need to (and my wife doesn't read this!!)

1. Prefer calypso red - but will consider others

2. V8 

3. S4S - a good one 

4. S4S - maybe a lower value needing a bit of work?

5 and 6. S4 as above

7 and 8. SE as above

in descending order of anticipated cost of course.

They all sound attractive in their own way.

I even just bought myself a stop-gap car (which I might hold on to as a backup for bad days)

Thanks for all the advice guys

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats on selling the porker..... it did look very nice.

Don't let that cash burn a hole in your pocket, take your time and find the right car......

on the other hand... prices are on the up and spring is just around the corner, so you'd better get a wriggle on!!

hope that helped.

Let the games begin!

V8 appeared yesterday - blue, in Holland but GB car RHD.  Doesn't look as clean as some I've seen advertised but it's a lot less money too.  Any opinions?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-v8-gt-coupe-354hp/3301063

Thanks

Pricey for a Cat D...

Well remembered! :)

Thanks - maybe give that one a miss.

For £20,000 try and hunt down a mint condition Turbo SE or an S4! 

I REALLY don't think you'll regret the S4 - there's a newly refurbed one being sold as it write this (in yellow!)

Yes! I was thinking of yours. If I hadn't bought that V8 last summer I'd have gone for yours. Alas...timing. 

All this forum chat is great and should be encouraged. But nothing will beat getting your bum on the seat of one or two of the cars you're interested in. The various models are essentially the same but vastly different.

Go and drive some.

I think I may know the history of that Cat D blue one. I used to be in contact with an owner from Blackburn who used to own a CAT blue V8 but my emails don't go back far enough to check. I'll do some digging and let you know.

Regards,

David Walters

All this forum chat is great and should be encouraged. But nothing will beat getting your bum on the seat of one or two of the cars you're interested in. The various models are essentially the same but vastly different.

Go and drive some.

I agree - but it's not so easy from here in Edinburgh.  Can;t just wander into a Lotus dealer and have a drive - Murray's didn't have any when I went there (and I have left details in case any do come in).

I think I will probaly need to be pretty sure of what I'm going to see - maybe do a trip to see a few but it can't easily be a casual look.

Happy to get the heads up on any car from Forum members though.

All encouragement and advice is appreciated though.  Thanks

I think I may know the history of that Cat D blue one. I used to be in contact with an owner from Blackburn who used to own a CAT blue V8 but my emails don't go back far enough to check. I'll do some digging and let you know.

Regards,

David Walters

Thanks David - all sounds a wee bit risky though - even if it is a "bargain" £19,000 is still a lot of money!!  But if you have any info it would be interesting

Graham

Your best bet is to be at one of the next meets in scotland, im sure everyone would enjoy telling you there cars better than the other, be good banter

Thanks Andy - Yes maybe a good idea - if I am still without (or maybe even better if have bought) an Esprit by then.  I'm not that good at being patient - although at least I have myself another set of wheels (Saab auto) which means I am mobile meantime.

Graham

So Graham, you had a taste of the V8 this morning and have had a few hours to ponder. I know you need to experience a 4-pot but any nearer a decision?

Many thanks Mark - that was very generous of you giving up some time and letting me have a good nose around your beautiful Esprit.  Also really nice just to chat Esprit for a bit with an experienced owner.

The trip in your car only reimforced my determination to have an Esprit - soon!  I  am still undecided though....

Some photos:

2015-01-24%2011.42.31-1_zpsosu1wjaq.jpg

2015-01-24%2011.28.34_zpsrpsmummq.jpg

Looking forward to LEGS breakfast gathering at Murray Lotus next Sunday - I can see some others that way and firm up (eventually) my decision

• Like 1

Any updates Graham? You've been very quiet...

Well I have been busy (ish). As well as doing lots of other non-car / non-Lotus stuff I have continued to scour the ads and even social media in my search.  I was put onto a Sport 350 in Berlin (#32) and tracked down the PO, the guy who rebuilt it, the current owner and others who know it.  It's got a bit of history - a cat D and a replacement engine.  I was very tempted as I would be able to get it for a goood price I thought.  I even got as far as buying air tickets to go see it - and back in a  day.  However after some more thought, I decided that there were just too many uncertainties and even although I lost the flight money (£450 ish) I didn't go.  The car hadn't been serviced properly in the current owners time, was overdue a cam belt change (£1300 at Murray Lotus!) and I would not risk driving it home 1,000 miles or so like that so it would cost for transport. 

http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified/240336869?asrc=st

In the meantime my budget (I have an understanding wife) has increased and I decided that I will spend a bit more (up to £25K - ish).  So after resisting for ages I have arranged to go check out the beautiful red S4S at Stocks coachworks.  

http://www.stockscoachworks.co.uk/cars-for-sale.php?s=1995-lotus-esprit-s4s

As I pondered just how much I was thinking of spending on a 20 year old car I looked again at the yellow V8 (similar miles, 5 years newer- and  V8!) that Bell & Collville are selling.  I had previously enquired to see if they had any flexibility on price - it's for sale at £26,995 - but it seems not.  However I just couldn't resist so I am going to have a look at that too.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-v8-gt---------------2000/2719339

This Friday (6th) I am flying from Edinburgh to Gatwick - hire car - drive to Surrey (B&C), look at V8, drive to Chelmsford (Stocks), look at S4S, drive to Stansted and fly home.  I expect to buy one of them.

There were a couple of other options; Paul Godfre's nice S4 - he was very helpful and offered unbiased information but I decided (at that stage anyway) that I wanted at least an S4S.  Then there was a nice V8 sold at auction (today) 61K miles a darker metallic red but looked nice.  Spoke to PO and it probably would have been a good buy.  I decided not to bid though and I see it sold at £19,500 (but with auction fees that would cost nearly £22K.

I was keeping quietish - for fear of so much advice putting me off, encouraging me, or whatever - but what the hell - I'm almost certainly going to buy one of them.  I'lll live and deal with the consequencies....

So.... I expect to have someting to tell you by Friday evening  - still undecided but that V8 is hard to resist!!!

Just in time for the nice weather we are bound to get soon?

have seen the s4s at Stocks,certainly looks nice

So what happened here then.......? Has there been a purchase?

well I can hardly believe it myself - at last I've bought an Esprit.  Very different from what I started out loooking at though.

I've bought a very nice Norfolk Mustard Yellow Esprit V8 - from Bell and Colvill

Hopefully collect it in a couple of weeks - a few wee things that they agreed to do as part of the deal

Edited by Grahaml

That looks a real beaut. Great color. That's going to feel a long couple of weeks till that arrives Graham. ;)

Enjoy :)

That looks very nice.