free hit
counters
Lotus Racing Exhaust - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Steve Banks

Lotus Racing Exhaust

Best plan :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I guess everyone has a different opinion of what is loud. :turned: I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just find it perfect volume.

Any videos still appreciated when you find some time, Steve.

I seem to remember at the demo day at Goodwood we were keeping the Exige V6 in 4th gear through the chicane to prevent it exceeding the drive-by noise limit. Can't recall which mode we were in.. probably Touring.

Well, I have some more info on the warranty. They have stated that all parts replaced on the car (supercharger) will not be covered by Lotus, but the rest of the car still will be. (ie. if the air con packs up, or the car develops rattles etc then is still covered). The best bit is that the new supercharger etc will be covered by them for the 3 year warranty period.

They outlined that if you replace your exhaust for example (which all dealers offer), the rest of the car is still covered (and that the exhaust has a bigger impact on the engine than the SC).

So, I feel good about proceeding.

p.s. I'm working out the best way to film the new exhaust and capture the sound...

Edited by Lancelin2k7

2015 Orange Exige V6

If you've changed the charger and the engine pops, Lotus won't cover that under warranty...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

2n733uv.jpg

2118iys.jpg

So, the supercharger upgrade and ecu changes were completed and I then drove the 880km back from Sydney to Melbourne and she is purrrrrring beautifully. The airbox was also replaced with an induction kit. 

I am extremely happy with the performance gains. On the dyno she is around 435bhp and torque is just incredible. 

In terms of real world driving, the car is much more responsive. There's a little less room to see out of the rear window and there's a slightly louder hiss from the supercharger, but it actually feels and looks like stock!.

There's also an intercooler option to put the car up to almost 500bhp, but that's a bit too much for me!.

2015 Orange Exige V6

Lancelin2k7 - Looks the goods - I was talking to Stu about this the other day.

Where abouts in Melb are you, would love to come and have a look!  

So, the supercharger upgrade and ecu changes were completed

Very nice, you must be pleased with that! Got to love superchargers :)

Black n gold

Steve,

That sounds like a properly engineered upgrade and the CC version would be interesting, I'll have a look on their website. Did they touch (upgrade) the gearbox?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

2n733uv.jpg

2118iys.jpg

So, the supercharger upgrade and ecu changes were completed and I then drove the 880km back from Sydney to Melbourne and she is purrrrrring beautifully. The airbox was also replaced with an induction kit. 

I am extremely happy with the performance gains. On the dyno she is around 435bhp and torque is just incredible. 

In terms of real world driving, the car is much more responsive. There's a little less room to see out of the rear window and there's a slightly louder hiss from the supercharger, but it actually feels and looks like stock!.

There's also an intercooler option to put the car up to almost 500bhp, but that's a bit too much for me!.

:thumbsup:

That does look very neat, very OEM. How much power/torque can the stock engine and gearbox take before you need to start upgrading the internals?

Bloke79 - pm me. I'm around Port Melbourne.

Trevsked - they didn't touch the gearbox. When speaking to the guys at ssc, the transmission and gearbox can take a whole lot more. They have a car that has done a few endurance races at over 550bhp and it's been fine. 

Basically the upgrade replaces the supercharger, airbox and reprograms the ecu. Combined with the lotus racing exhaust, the results are incredible. In tour mode the dpm tends to cut power to prevent wheel spin, but in sport mode its brilliant, havent had any wheel spin yet. I would say the 0-100 time has reduced, and in 2nd - 3rd the increase is dramatic. Even in 6th, the power increase is very noticable. Like I said earlier the supercharger is quite a bit louder.

I highly recommend the upgrade, the ssc team is incredibly professional, know their stuff and super friendly. 

Edited by Lancelin2k7

2015 Orange Exige V6

Sounds good, what sort of cost though?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Just thought I would post an update for anyone considering doing this.

At present, I can't really recommend doing the supercharger upgrade. SSC had to take the car back for a week to reprogram the car and to be honest, it was a struggle. Their communication really made me feel quite uncomfortable and like I was bothering them. I was told one thing then another happened and when I asked for an update they were very reluctant to respond. (in the end I felt like I was hounding them just to get a response).

They also ended up having to put a bigger pulley on the supercharger, which in turn is now hitting the bodywork every now and again. I've reported this to them, but alas, not response. Unfortunately it seems they are just another company that only have time for you if you are spending more money.

The extra power is awesome, but looking back I probably wouldn't do it again.

2015 Orange Exige V6

Shame to hear this - hope you get things sorted soon.

Thanks for the additional feedback. It's always good to get it - both positive and negative. That's what makes forums a really useful resource.

It's always very disappointing when things start to go wrong after you've spent a lot of money, but we all know that things CAN go wrong and it's how the supplier responds to problems that mark the good from the bad.

I hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

That's really poor, I better pass this message to my mate who is going to send his car up for upgrade later this year.

Sorry to hear Steve...

Did they end up resolving your issues out of interest?

Just thought I would post an update for anyone considering doing this.

At present, I can't really recommend doing the supercharger upgrade. SSC had to take the car back for a week to reprogram the car and to be honest, it was a struggle. Their communication really made me feel quite uncomfortable and like I was bothering them. I was told one thing then another happened and when I asked for an update they were very reluctant to respond. (in the end I felt like I was hounding them just to get a response).

They also ended up having to put a bigger pulley on the supercharger, which in turn is now hitting the bodywork every now and again. I've reported this to them, but alas, not response. Unfortunately it seems they are just another company that only have time for you if you are spending more money.

The extra power is awesome, but looking back I probably wouldn't do it again.

Unfortunately not. Still haven't heard from them. I have emailed and left a phone message, but nothing back. I think it's an easy fix, so I'm going to do it myself, just going to file away a small groove in the boot surround. I think that fact that I am an interstate customer is putting them off dealing with me. I really just hope that I don't have any major issues in future!.

2015 Orange Exige V6

Sorry to hear.

FWIW - Darrin (Owns RTR in Melbourne) had them fit an intercooler kit for the factory supercharger, unfortunately, that required cutting of the factory sill as well.

Unfortunately, this sort of mod looks like the type that's no longer reversible, which is a bit of a draw-card for this sort of stuff.

Well, this mod should be reversible as I still have my original supercharger and airbox. Would then just require a reflash of the ecu and would be fully reversed, except for whatever small groove I make in the boot.

I didn't go with the intercooler as it completely blocks the rear view (the new supercharger blocks most of it anyway, so maybe should have done it) and the guys at SSC didn't really seem too confident about doing it... In fact they talked me out of it.

2015 Orange Exige V6

Heh - If I'm honest, rear visibility isn't great at the best of times, thank god for the reversing sensors.

Yeah - from a packaging perspective, I think the factory intercooler/supercharger upgrade the Evora400 has looks like the best compromise.

Out of interest, why did they have to fit a bigger pully for the supercharger?  Won't that make the car make more boost?