Project Compomotive

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

Compomotives? Here's why.

opwforestdec15-2_zps7txgm8ym.jpg

*faints*

This pic needs posting twice, I think.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 12/23/2015 at 20:59, The Pits said:

take a closer look at the tyres....

http://tredwear.com/

Jonny

Can you tell me the size of the lettering on the rear tyres.  For the curvature did you give rim diameter/tyre diameter or maybe a measurement inbetween?

Thanks

Phil

If I was doing it again I'd probably put the same size lettering front and rear but I wanted to copy the logos I had on the NCTs that came with the car. The earlier NCTs had the same size Goodyear logos front and rear, as per the Essex cars. That said, some might prefer the slightly more subtle smaller front tyre logo, which I have also seen on some other cars. Easier to order 4 sets of letters in the same size however.

Tredwear won't supply you with anything to make the fitment easier, you're on your own there. I made a template based on a rubbing from my original NCTs using crayon and large piece of paper. I made sure to also rub the wheel rim to get the curvature right and for the distance of the letters from the rim. Then I stuck the template in place and stuck the letters through the holes. Bit of a chore but happy with the results. Not many spotted they were Pirellis, even at Brands last year. You do need to keep an eye on them as quite a few letters have had to be stuck back down and you might lose a letter after a long drive, preparation of the tyre with a degreaser beforehand is key. But definitely worth ordering a spare set of letters!

Tredwear will probably have my order in their system somewhere so worth asking them first. It would certainly finish your car off nicely!

2bondsbrands8red_zpsjrqujqc6.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic bit of obsession. IMHO you got it right toning down the front sizes. By the way, in the USA, land of everything fantastic you could want for your car, there was at least one company, who would shave the original lettering off your sidewalls to fit whitewalls, redlines, or custom lettering.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Project Compomotive, the video.

• Like 1

Wonderful!

Would love to shoot something with a Copper Bronze car if either you or Hopo were up for it, but would be more inclined to wait for the Spring!

:thumbup:

Can you confirm the exact order you had with Treadwear? Size etc? I would like to order a set. Thanks, Henry

Actually I would like to get a set as well, so would be interested to know.

Thanks

Robin.

It might actually be cheaper for everyone to place one bigger order. I will contact Tredwear and see what they say.

If I was doing it again I'd get four sets of the larger letters plus a spare set. I have lost one or two letters since doing it so it's definitely worth having spares.

I have found the original rubbings that I sent to Tredwear in Feb last year so that's good, I can tell you that the large letters are 38mm wide by 25mm high. The smaller letters measure 28mm wide by 19mm high.

I doubled up on the order last year and it came to $175 shipped, just two sets of fronts and rears came to $145 so it was well worth doing at the time. Not cheap by any means but I'm sure there's a good saving to be had from a larger order.

I'll mail them now.

And yes Rob, your car would look $1m with a set of these letters on!

You're not by any chance needing a new exhaust manifold for said project are you - sorry to stalk you like this but I'm trying to my very best to get one for everyone who needs one:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Stephen

I fitted a brand new one 10 yrs ago and it hasn't turned a wheel in all that time so it should be ok....I hope. I would consider getting a spare but there is a heap of parts I definitely do need first!

Richard

OK I've been in touch with Michael (Hunt believe it or not!) from Tredwear. He's up for doing us a solid deal. Can we confirm some numbers please?

I would advise a minimum of 5 sets of Goodyear letters. One set for each wheel and a spare set for any letters you might lose. If you want more then say now. Also if anyone wants the smaller letters for the front wheels, now's the time to say so, otherwise they will all be the larger ones all round.

On 1. Januar 2016 at 12:23, The Pits said:

Project Compomotive, the video.

Jonny, 

if you ever need money and have to sell this car - call me first ;-) ... this is just a masterpiece ... I absolutely love it ... I am jealous ... 

;-)

Norbert

• Like 1

Thanks Norbert, it is a very special car and the realisation of a childhood dream. I used to say I'd only ever sell it for a Sport 300, now I'm not so sure. Fortunately there are no S300s for sale, nor have there been in years so I've been spared that particular torment!

My Turbo is having its cam belts done along with a thorough carb clean at the moment, I'm expecting it to drive better than ever when it comes back. Can't wait.

Right, the deal with the rubber letters is we can get a set for $50 plus $30 shipping. By combining our order we can each save on the shipping too so it's the best value for everyone.

We can get enough for 4 cars with a spare set each for $280. That's a very reasonable $70 each. A decent saving when you consider I paid $175 last year for my sets.

Of course anyone is free to go it alone if they prefer but it will cost $30 extra in shipping each time. Let me know what works for you either here or by pm.

Jonny, I think I should opt into this despite my car being in a million pieces, just in case I ever get it back together again.

Can you put me down for a set plus spare (5 in all).

:) 

It's getting there......

So I make that

Henry

Robin

Richard

Tim

Brooke

all x5?

Are you guys happy with large letters front and back? The larger letters are easier to put on I might add!

Lotus-Turbo-Esprit-1981.jpg

Smaller front letters: I think they look quite good actually but the people who know about these things will tell you that the pic above is how it should be done.

IMG_3291.jpg