free hit
counters
Project Compomotive - Page 5 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
The Pits

Project Compomotive

That is bad news Jonny :cry:  Do they still use the rubber O ring when rebuilding them ?  Hope you get a full refund mate as that sounds f..,,in dangerous to leave the bolts loose.  Hope this saga ends up with good news will keep my fingers crossed for you mate.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unlike :2guns:Trevor, I can't blame the wheels for what's happened. I know the fix and will keep a regularly updated log of my tyre pressures thereafter just to annoy Mr Skedge!

It's pretty simple really, this utter filth:

TEforest4_zps8f4b1304.jpg

or this redemption of mankind:

opwforestdec15-2_zps7txgm8ym.jpg

:thumbup:

• Like 2

I have heard of WHEEL WHORES before that is an  internet site,:blush: but never until now have i heard of WHEEL WARS   JONNY vs TREVOR :P

They'll just go 'round in circles' until they feel the 'pressure' and get 'tired' out. 'Nuts' wheelie but it's been a Goodyear.

• Like 1

Real shame after waiting so long, Comps are not really hard to refurb either even if pitted.

I have done a couple sets myself but do have access to a lathe for manufacture of the cups or skimming.

The key is preparation without compromise and new seals, I use Loctite 574 as well to protect against future corrosion and as an extra seal.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I have some pics of the 14" version of the Dry sump/Essex wheels done as well somewhere which looked better than these when done.

Hope your wheels get sorted Jonny as they do look stunning on your car, I always wanted a set for my White/Red Turbo so dressed my BBS to give the look...

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Not quite the same and a lot of hard work but I liked them, certainly a car I miss!

Dave ?

• Like 1

Dave by far the best bbs wheels i have seen, i looked at the first picture and did not even notice that they where not even compomotives until you notice no studs :wub:  Well worth the effort in my eyes and i can see plenty of other people following suit very shortly !

• Like 1

Those Silver and black BBS look great. Any close ups?

I always wanted the real deal but could never find them at the time so did my own thing. Lex down under ended up with this car so won't see it again, I think he has since sold it also.

(Must get me another one sometime and hopefully an early Dry Sump with Comps!)

Marcus,I have PM'd you with the method and info. ??

Dave ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Impressive results with the BBS but you're missing out on years of crushing disappointment and extortionate costs. Where's the fun in that? ;)

Took me years to gather enough parts to make a set. Still ideally need 2 more centres so I can fit the earliest style fronts. Am working on that one!

Will be a relief when they are finished. I too can then worry about the sealing issues ?

• Like 1

Some pics of the gold on white look if anyone's into that. I put the car on my 'spare' set just to see what it looked like. No centre caps obviously but will be swapping back asap. Doesn't work for me personally but wouldn't have it any other way on a black, copper or red dry sump.

goldcomps_zpsrjiclomh.jpg

IMG_4615_zpskjhywlnk.jpg

• Like 1

Totally agree. The gold still looks good but has to be the 'bond spec' on a white car for me. 

A spare set of Compomotives is way off for me. Just one complete set would be a good start.

Those gold ones look best on either Copper Fire or black early Turbos. I don't think the Compomotives work on red Turbos personally.....not entirely sure why I think that is though. I think I've maybe just always seen early red Turbos looking right with BBS wheels. I've seen the Compomotives on the Lotus ad example but other than that it's usually BBS on red cars

IMG_5403.JPG

• Like 1

Yip - those definitely work, as Lotus and Bond intended back in '81B-)

I discovered I have another owners manual (cover only - in maroon, no manual). I think it might be the original one as I had to buy a later one back in the day to be stamped when it was serviced.

Inside it is this:

y3m-c5fLvdpQ3UhGBLDof22xp1_6hGbmoamm374k

as well as a wiring diagram and a service schedule (photocopy).

I have no idea why I have this because as far as I know the car has never been on Compomotives. It was built in July 1982, so presumably an old batch of owners manuals.

I now have 4 covers and 3 manuals. 2 for the Esprit and 1 for the Excel.

• Like 2

Good stuff, I have the manual and a copy of that sheet thanks to Barrie, I'm very confident the wheel refurbers would have just ignored it but good info to have on here anyway.

Chris it's clearly a sign of your car's true destiny! ;)

I got really lucky with mine as I have the owners manual (interesting that mine has the blue top instead of the gold as the one above - no doubt a carry over from the Essex model) the Compomotive wheel leaflet discussed (even though it has BBS wheels) together with the original Sales Invoice, wiring diagrams, Runnng-In bulletin written by the infamous Tony Rudd (a great read), Lotus factory fuel consumption test sheet, options list, option & specification sheet and a dealer directory & last but not least a "What you need to know about your car" sheet. 

This was all contained in the original Norfolk Motor Co. folder - not bad for a 34 year old car. You'll notice on the invoice that the car was originally ordered with a leather armrest even though it has a half-leather interior.......this led to a different leather arm rest (pic attached) to the usual style. Makes it factory original but individual which I love. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

When the factory produced three different styles of handbook within 12 months I guess being individual is what they were all about!

I bet there are other variations out there too but here is the correct version ;) <---- supposed to be a winky thing here!

IMG_4628_zps7l4p6tux.jpg

NOTE: Definitely TURBO ESPRIT!

IMG_4629_zpsuf3aqjl0.jpg

Well, mine is anyway!

:thumbup:

NOTE they all contain cars with Compomotive wheels!

• Like 1

My manual from 1987 - BCA lozenge (no ACBC) logo, still has the same section - Wheels .(split rim types)

No photos in it unfortunately.

And it's both an Esprit Turbo AND a Turbo Esprit.

I've started a "manual" thread :)

On 1 September 2016 at 21:23, The Pits said:

By the way don't EVER go to Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes. Having missed 3 events in my car due to waiting for them to rebuild the wheels I made it very clear that missing the Brands festival was not an option. I picked up the wheels last Friday only to discover two leaking badly plus 26 finger loose wheel bolts. All of the bolts were massively over tightened. They were all brand new bolts too and all 80 are ruined.

I'm only glad that I didn't try and drive the car like that. Disgracefully negligent and downright dangerous.

I'll be taking them back to the only guy I know who's ever successfully managed to seal a Compomotive wheel - Roy at Paul Matty's.

That's crazy. Sealing the split rim should not be a difficult job. :no

Anyway, to let you know Jonny, I have the same model as your car (I only have the model) sitting on my shelf right above my Mac. Love it.

The Autoart model with the mysterious gold wheels? As we know Bond's wheels were black and silver on the white car.

Nice models all the same and have shot up in value too.

Tell me about it Jonny, most are well over 100 pounds now, strange how they made those models so the tailgate opens,bonnet and doors etc but not the headlights :ermm: really like th eway they covered the esprits model range though s1,s2,turbo etc and even the Essex !