free hit
counters
Evora GTE Registry - Page 37 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TBD

Evora GTE Registry

@21gg I am planning to go to Stratton’s for a test drive. 

The process is gaining momentum and I even have the wife’s blessing. 

Waiting for Alex to speak to his project manager to come back on a bunch of questions but the full carbon interior, Swindon engine and the fact they were part of the original gte stock are making me think the risk is well worth it.

will keep you updated but hoping in the next 2-3 months as they get the car ready for sale, it will be mine. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No, I fully intend to take the gte, why I was asking what they are like on track. 

If they aren’t any good, which given people’s opinions I doubt, then I will buy something else to track. 

This is all assuming a deal is done of course, she needs to go how she looks and I haven’t dealt with Stratton before so I don’t know how well they build a car. 

It will be good/great on track. Gav’s red one certainly is (although that has got pretty trick Ohlins suspension and other bits). 

It is just that tracking a GTE would be a very high risk option. Have you seen how much Mansory like to charge for their parts??!? They make Lotus parts prices look like exceedingly good value. 

(Evoras also need to be modified a reasonable amount before they are ‘great’ on track. Would you really want to modify a GTE? If you want to track an Evora, you would be much better off finding the cheapest ‘S’ that you can and working up from there). 

Yeah I don’t mind altering it as long as it’s parts that can go back to standard should I ever want to sell. 

Part of the appeal is the 430bhp Swindon engine, saves me ever wanting a komotec or ssc upgrade.

its because it’s a gte I am changing, otherwise i’d Stay with the 350. 

• Like 1

I would do some more digging re the engine, if I was you. ISTR that the original Swindon engine never worked with the OEM ECU and dials. It might well ‘just’ be a standard Evora S engine with Swindon cams. 

• Thanks 1

Tarmac Terrorist will be able to shed more light as I think he has the same engine in his but running on a standard ecu. He also tracks his quite a bit.

Have agreed first refusal on the car 😬 

planning on visiting the workshop, drive their demo and meet the guys building the car.

they are full GTEs with upper and Lower suspension.

the Swindon engine has its own ecu so putting out between 420-430 bhp.

Everything is original, seats, interior etc. 

Starting to get excited, just need to check the warranty fine print and negotitate price/trade in?

• Like 1

Wich one do you want, the mat white?

The one for demo are the Green?

So they tell you they plan to install suspension like the GT350 onto all the cars?

Why be classic when you can be unique

Just had a call that the Italian guy doing the ecu calibration etc actually owns a gte and want to swap it for one of these, they are now checking it isn’t the white one.......🤞

all the cars have the gt350 suspension already babas, Alex advised me they are 100% the same but with a full Swindon engine. 

Ok great news :)

So white and chrome are booked, who's next :P

17 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

It will be good/great on track. Gav’s red one certainly is (although that has got pretty trick Ohlins suspension and other bits). 

It is just that tracking a GTE would be a very high risk option. Have you seen how much Mansory like to charge for their parts??!? They make Lotus parts prices look like exceedingly good value. 

(Evoras also need to be modified a reasonable amount before they are ‘great’ on track. Would you really want to modify a GTE? If you want to track an Evora, you would be much better off finding the cheapest ‘S’ that you can and working up from there). 

Tbh, the red GTE was very good on track even before the Ohlins were fitted. The first drive I had in it was on a trackday at Donnington Park. 

It surprised, no, shocked me just how good it was. After fitting the Ohlins, I'd actually go as far to say the stock Bilsteins are better on the track than they are on the road. The smoother surface the track has lends itself better to them.

The real difference the Ohlins have made is on the road. If you think the Evora drives good with the stock bilsteins, you should try one with a set of TTX that have been set for the road, the difference really is night and day and instantly noticeable. The std Evora setup feels somewhat 'crashy' by comparison, and that's saying something!

I'm only going from my own experience but I had to do a couple of mods to the red car for track use which was some heat management issues in the engine bay and replace the front discs and uprated pads.

I've already said the std discs don't stand up to much punishment on track, especially if used with uprated pads. I also found the boot compartment was getting frightfully hot. The Swindon back box is big (it's not just the engine you get, it should have a full swindon exhaust system also, manifolds, cats, link pipes and back box), which has nimbus heatsheild around it but it also seems to act like a heat blanket and doesn't let any of that heat out. Coupled with the very fine mesh that mansory used for the diffuser trim it's basically an oven in there with no airflow and was getting far too hot for my liking!!

I swapped the glass engine cover panel out for a GT4 louvred panel to allow heat to escape from above and I also changed the diffuser out for a GT4 one (both reversible mods). This also required a new exhaust backbox to be made (single tip, straight though, side exit like the GT4 cars run, rather than the centre exit of the stock evora). The backbox was very easy to make and fit upto the Swindon centre pipe, the Swindon system is all on 'V' bands for quick change and the diffuser swapped straight over.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

Yes it has the full system back to the manifolds, sports cats etc. 

They said it has an auxiliary fan on one side and a duct on the other to aid cooling and that their cars hadn't suffered from heat, how true this is, is anyones guess. 

First track day will show what is needed but the GT4 louvred panel is a great idea and as you say, reversible. 

they have confirmed the italian guy doesnt want the white car which is just excellent news. 

will also allow a fund for replacement of the brake discs etc - what did you opt for Gavin?

A set of these (at first) which are the front brake calipers and discs from the GT4 race cars, theyre bolt straight on, no other mods required.

You'll need a set of the disc springs though, theyre fully floating discs and are noisy without them.

Don't know how many kits Dave has left, I know he had a limited number of them, might be worth a call to see. There a bloody bargain at the price he's now asking for them (maybe his last set...).

https://www.seriouslylotus.com/braking/evora-big-brake-kit-not-400

I've since upgraded the whole brake system to the full GT4 kit which runs the same size calipers and discs above on the rears also. Gone is the ABS and servo and is replaced with a new pedal box which has dual mastercylinders and bias adjustment. 

Heat problem I found is in the boot/exhaust area, that duct with the fan fitted is on the  front of the engine fed from one of the two scoops just behind the doors.

19 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I would do some more digging re the engine, if I was you. ISTR that the original Swindon engine never worked with the OEM ECU and dials. It might well ‘just’ be a standard Evora S engine with Swindon cams. 

Lotus gave Swindon full access to their ecu for reprogramming so yes it all works. If you plug in lotus tech center, the line in there that is suppose to give you the ecu code revision number simply says 'swindon'.

Nobody at Lotus really knew what had been done(certianly no one who was left working there at the time anyway).They couldn't tell me anything about the ecu or the code it held, so, out of precaution I took it to a rolling road to check AFR/knock/anything untoward before I took it out on track. 

We did a minimum of 10 runs that day all pretty much back to back. All of them were between 382-385hp. Guy on the dyno commented it would do that all day (and he was right, it does).

It wasn't the 420hp I was expecting  from it (the engines were known as the Swindon 420's not 430's btw) but non the less, I was super impressed with the curves on the graph (couldn't have drawn them better) and how consistent all the  runs were. Whenever I've stood watching dyno runs before on lotus you usually see the power dipping with every run after the first 3 or so.

I spoke to Swindon themselves around the same time as the dyno run. They said all it required was a pulley change to a smaller one to up the power on it. Btw, the Swindon engine package consisted of uprated cams, stronger con-rods, full exhaust system, larger airbox and their ecu tune.

IMG_20151004_171146.jpg.c620a4799499ce84ffe71e4db7c01fae.jpg

I decided not to bother doing anything with power upgrades on it. The car weighs in at 1400kg with half a tank of fuel onboard, add in a couple of passengers and you're well up over a tonne and a half! Adding an extra 40hp isnt going to make all that much difference imo, not for long anyway as you'll soon get use to it.

What it will do though is consume more fuel, more tyres, generate more heat in the engine bay which may cause power to drop off after extended periods on track (which is commonly noted with the komotec kits). 

After seeing the dyno results and the consistency of the power being delivered from it, I decided that it was good enough and plumped to spend money on the brakes and suspension instead. I personally get more of a kick out of the braking zones and the corners than I do accelerating down the straight. Imo it's where all the skill of track driving is and where it challenges you the most so my first priority is to make the car perform well in those areas. 

Gav, that will be pretty much my line of thinking. Great to gather your thoughts on the Swindon engine, it seems a peach, I was worrying about reliability and consistency but it clearly has that in droves.

With the 350 in race the traction control is unbelievable. 

What is the GTE like - hard to control? Is it just an on/off?

WOW - that is simply ridiculous. Love it. 

Who still owns a GTE on here? Can we get some more pics please owners :) 

I don't know about the Stratton cars, still sounds like they have work to do on them to get them ready.

When I got my car the abs and traction wasntnt working  on it (found out on the back straight at Donington in the wet first time out, that raised an eyebrow or two!!). Modern day car electronics are not my thing, the mechanical aspect, yes, electrics, no!  I took it back to Lotus Motorsport when they were open to ee if they could find the problem, after a day of paying the tech to get nowhere I put plan 'b' into action which was to fit the full GT4 brake kit and ditch the abs/sevro altogether (which I'm pleased I did).

385 hp doesn't sound much these days in the world of 700hp supercars but I have to say, that 385hp with no abs, no servo (which means you're physically stopping 1,500kg with your right leg) and no traction control focuses your attention somewhat. You have to drive it by the scruff of it neck, a proper man's car in my book! 

• Love 1

I've just find a pics of the GTE's when they were waiting on a parking at the factory before the rebuilt

FB_IMG_1527668736334.jpg

• Like 1

Great photo, do you have any more?

The last GTE graveyard at the factory before most were re-buit. The yellow car turned into my Arctic Silver one once it was completely stripped and rebuilt.

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

• Like 1

whatis the story with the GTE .. why were were they all there waiting to be rebuilt?  were they a one make racing series, then re sod to customers on completion?

Just do a search on here for the detail. It's discussed on here and elsewhere a lot.

The short story is they were made for the Chinese Market, it fell through, they sat in a field for a few years, nearly had a 400+bhp cosworth tuned engine, 20 or so where salvaged and sold with mainly S SR running gear, interiors and supercharged 350bhp engines.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

1 hour ago, andyj007 said:

whatis the story with the GTE

In a word? Bahar. 

(Otherwise, in many words, read this thread from the beginning:) 

• Like 1

Thanks @Sizona it was exactly at this place I saw the GTE when I came to visit it 😉