free hit
counters
A couple of quick 'car improvement' questions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stimpy

A couple of quick 'car improvement' questions

I'd like to replace the carpet in the Esprit (S4s).  

First - carpet.

==========

I emailed Coverdale carpets to ask if their Lotus Esprit carpet would work in the S4

Their website simply said 'Esprit'.

Anyway - here's their response:

This is (part of)  there response:

"Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  In our Lotus Esprit (1988 to 1992 model) this piece is included in our set.  Please note that we do not have any reference of this being suitable for an S4 so we are not sure."

So has anyone ordered from Coverdale - and if so do you have a later Lotus than the Coverdale "date range".

My main fear is the slits for the handbrake (for example )

Second question - brakes

====================

I emailed EBC to ask them which 'redstuff' brake pads would fit an S4S (bear in mind that the S4S has different wheels than the S4)

This is their response:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email i have had a look and i see what you mean normally i would say you have the Akebone front and Bendix/Bosch rear brake set up but i some browsing on the web on the S4 (good old Wikipedia) and the S4 does seem to be based on the 264Bhp model but with a Face lift.

And if you know you have the Brembo brakes from the 300Bhp model that would make sense. On these there is only one Brembo option F+R please see below.

Front Redstuff Pads:  DP31140C  £131.75  in stock  link
Rear Redstuff Pads:  DP3885C    £58.16    in stock  link

------

Of course there are a few minor detail errors in the response but you get the idea.

So - same sort of question - can anyone confirm the brake pads mentioned would fit on an esprit / OZ wheels / S4S type model.
Nothing is ever simple!!  I guess it goes with the fact they made less than 500 of the S4s's.

Many thanks in advance, as it were.

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Coverdale recently did a carpet set for mr.oogieboogie. He sent his old set up as a pattern and I'm guessing they did not make a template for themselves.

Thanks for responding, sailerbob - I feel the 'frustration' hormones gathering pace in my blood !

The wheels are irrelevant, the important bit is which brake calipers are used.  In the case of the the S4S Brembos were used.

Well I mentioned that I was posting the subject on a forum and found out that a member sent their carpet to them as a template.

She said she'd enquire more and get back to me.

Is there really that much difference between a mid 80's esprit and a '94 model?  AFAIK the dash is completely different (dials) however I can't see a reason to change the interior - the hand brake is surely in the same place (for example).

Having said that I haven't seen the interior of a mid 80's esprit so it's all guesswork.

I still have all the carpets except the two front floor ones as these are now in stockhom. Pics on my interior thread. Be warned they can be a bastard to get out especially in one piece.

I can confirm that coverdale did not make templates from my set. Good company and will use again to finish the boot

All the best

Their carpets require a lot of cutting to fit.

The coverdale carpets only require a little trimming as they will leave a bit of excess on some of the carpets.

I drove up to coverdale and explained what i wanted. Good service

Choice of edgeing i also asked for the handbrake lever opening to be made qtr of an inch wider which realy helped in fitting it as it looks like the lotus one is stiched on the car. Also got the boot floor carpet to have underlay which again made a massive difference

Bibs, Does this mean that one have to cut where there is normally a finisher, like a leather or plastic edging? (SJ version).

Cheers,

Jacques.

The trim is where it needs to be but for example the bulkhead piece us just a huge oversized rectangle of carpet.

It's not particularly difficult to cut them to fit............ As long as you're careful and sensible......

Edited by Zolder

I still have all the carpets except the two front floor ones as these are now in stockhom. Pics on my interior thread. Be warned they can be a bastard to get out especially in one piece.

I can confirm that coverdale did not make templates from my set. Good company and will use again to finish the boot

All the best

Oh well, that's a shame, seems to be an odd thing not to keep a template to attract more customers like...... ME!

You say "Good company" - if the pictures and descriptions are to go by from their website then it does sound like their carpets are good quality.  Personally I'd like a good quality, and a good deep shag

Buy a set from SJ sports cars, they know what fits what!

Cheers - I  will enquire.  I must admit - though - the coverdale stuff does look like top quality

The trim is where it needs to be but for example the bulkhead piece us just a huge oversized rectangle of carpet.

It seems a problem with many 'made to fit' carpets.  I re-carpeted the Stag twice and there's always stuff you need to cut off

All the same, took a couple of full days to fit, pretty much every piece needed to be trimmed.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/5621-carpets/#entry89179

"Interesting" link!!

BTW (as an extra bit of info). Once the carpet is out i'm going to spread dynamat everywhere, with a thin foam based pieces in certain places.  The S4s is surprisingly quiet - almost 'luxury' quiet - despite the barking that happens out the rear.  With dynamat it's going to be (I hope) just like a luxury car. 

LOL- on the first check before posting 'dynamat' was replaced with dynamite! Quite funny in the first paragraph.

Dynamat is not that heavy and has improved other cars in my 'collection'

Ok - slightly off topic, however I'd like to share this with everyone.

I have damp carpet on the driving side of the carpet (nothing major, but very unwelcome)

The Stag has a serious issue - the rear seat's carpet is quite badly damp.

I watched Wheeler Dealers a few days ago and Ed China came out with a brilliant way of finding where the water is coming in (genius and so obvious when you think of it).

Here's the solution...

get a fog machine-  the sort they use in discos - and let it run in the car for a while.  The place where water is coming in will have smoke forced out.

Mr china said that you can hire a fogger for about £40.  Maplins sell one for £40 - and fills my living room completely.

Personally  I think that's a brilliant idea.

Talc is much cheaper, easier and smells nice too. 

Dynamat is not really a sound insulator, its function is to reduce resonance, You'll be doing a lot of work and adding a lot of weight for negligible gain in an Esprit.

The ordinary dynamat will reduce 'booming' on the large plastic behind your chair/head. (It's usually meant for large expanses of steel)

When cut accurately and stuck around the two rear speakers it tightens up the bass and there's less colouring of the music leaving it more 'studio sound'.  I'm a bit of an AV/analogue audio nut.  Although I wouldn't recommend fitting a turntable in your Lotus.

The (dynamat) lightweight stuff is for other parts of the panels and floor

The ordinary dynamat will reduce 'booming' on the large plastic behind your chair/head. 

Large plastic? 

Large plastic? 

colloquial definition of the bit behind the seats.