free hit
counters
Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ginger pig

Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter

All,

Closing the gate once the horse has bolted; I know, as I have already purchased the rubber gaiter from SJ Sports Cars.......... and unfortunately split its collar in the process of fitting but does anyone know of any decent rubber gaiter substitutes.

I have tried two or three generic gaiters that were not wide enough in the base to cover the hole.

Just to give you an indication; the original gaiter costs £30 plus VAT wich seems an awful lot.

Does anyone have any fitting tips?

I tried fitting from the top and it was an incredibly tight fit over the shaft but then over the flange, the pressure was too much and it split.

Mark P

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For 30 quid I'll mail you one from oz. I'm so confident you'll like and won't ever need to buy another, it I'll give you a refund if you don't and send it back. I'll pay return postage too.

The lotus (or SJ) for that matter all have to be trimmed so that they produce a snug fit over the stick. Its impossible to fit without trimming - guaranteed 110% split.

school074.jpg

school076.jpg

Edited by s4simon

Ooohh, that looks much better. Mine split too. I have the early gearstick on my 1990 Turbo SE (still Renault gearbox, of course).

Does your model fit that?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

All,

My one is a 1990 SE; so again the shifter shaft looks thinner but even with copious amounts of lube (washing up liquid) the boot was never going to fit......... so to clarify; is the consensus of opinion that you have to trip the top?

Mark P

Jacques, unstretched the ID is 22mm. What's the diameter of your shaft where it would fit?

These Lotus rubber boots are universal.  They fit a lot of applications and therefore must be trimmed to suit the application being used for.  That's why they're cone shaped, so that you can trim to the exact requirement.

I remember asking the same question back in 2003 when I replaced mine. 

To get these rubber gaiters to fit, you need to first dunk them in very hot water for about 15 mins to soften the rubber so it stretches. You then need to squirt neat Fairy Liquid on the rubber where it has to slide over the gearstick. Put some on the gearstick shaft too. This makes it very slippery. Pull it over the gearstick shaft and you'll see it stretch. Just make sure it has softened first. It takes a bit of confidence to do this as you'll be worried about it splitting. I'd split several before some kind soul gave me this advice.

Hope this helps.

Alan

My gaiter is also split, which explains the centre console getting damned hot after about half an hour. I shall order one and see how I get on fitting it, I do have an idea or two to facilitate the replacement, but we shall see.

Does anyone know the approximate base diameter of the rubber gaiter?

Hoping to find one at Beaulieu tomorrow but without stripping out my centre console to measure it I don't know how big it needs to be...

I read here that most of the generic ones aren't big enough so don't want to buy something thats not suitable!

The boot from SJ does indeed fit. The top needs to be carefully cropped, though. Take note of how much the previous gaiter had been cropped as a guide. Press out the roll pin to remove the yellow scroll section on the lever. Soak it in very hot water first. Use washing up liquid as a lube before sliding it over. Refit the scroll. The bottom flange needs a little stretching, so use a bead of Sikaflex to hold it down to the plate, before screwing down the clamp ring.

• Like 1

The boot from SJ does indeed fit. The top needs to be carefully cropped, though. Take note of how much the previous gaiter had been cropped as a guide. Press out the roll pin to remove the yellow scroll section on the lever. Soak it in very hot water first. Use washing up liquid as a lube before sliding it over. Refit the scroll. The bottom flange needs a little stretching, so use a bead of Sikaflex to hold it down to the plate, before screwing down the clamp ring.

Thanks Ian. I'm fine with trimming down the top for the lift tube but what I need to know is what's the diameter of the bottom flange? 

Thanks Ian. I'm fine with trimming down the top for the lift tube but what I need to know is what's the diameter of the bottom flange?

Dunno. The SJ one is a teeny bit small, but the best fit I could find, though. Or you could whip the top off the thing and have a measure up?

Dunno. The SJ one is a teeny bit small, but the best fit I could find, though. Or you could whip the top off the thing and have a measure up?

Yes, I know but I'm out of time as its Bealieu tomorrow. If I see one cheap enough I'll just have to get the largest I think it might be...

I'll take a guess at about 125mm diameter, then.

That's good enough for me! Thanks Ian.