free hit
counters
Is there a height limit for the driver in Elite 75/83? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Iome

Is there a height limit for the driver in Elite 75/83?

Hi! I am looking for a car project, something from the 70's. And Lotus Elite is a very beautiful car. I like it very much, but I've never seen it live. Some of the older cars, especially sportier ones, can be limited in size. But I wonder how about Elite?

I could only found something about Elite 14: "The cabin space was to be designed for an averaged sized driver and passenger. Chapman, incidentally, felt he was average size so used his own 5 ft 7 in height. Luckily, when the prototype was built this space was increased to accommodate a 6 footer as well!" (http://www.lotuseliteworldregister.com/members-cars2/elite-history)

But 75 and 83 are more general road cars. So I'm 6'3" and that's probably not a problem, right? Enough room to be comfortable? Just to make sure before making a bid on ebay. :) Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Excellent, thanks!

I'm from Finland. Elite is a very rare car here. Although there is one for sale here, but at near 17t euros, I'm looking for something more affordable.

I'm 6'3" and I fit nicely, seat back fully, and tilted back, but very comfy on a long run. Not much headroom, but enough, and more than many, surprisingly. But the footwell is narrow, if you have size 13 feet it could be interesting! I can't wear my boots in it, so change into some narrow slip-ons.

The pedal arrangement is a bit on the tight side.  I have to wear racing shoes to drive one so that my feet aren't getting caught on the pedals.

I'm 6'3 with size 12 feet and longer in leg than body, so I have more headroom and there is plenty of leg room.

Long journeys in an Elite, Éclat or Excel are a breeze.

Just about to do 10 hours in one next week :D

• Like 1

Don't worry ,with old age comes shrinkage, I used to be 5' 8 1/4"  [ big enough to be a bobby at the time ] but alas now I

think I'd be lucky to make 5' 7"    might have to get a cushion for the excel at this rate

cheers all  Ian

Thank you everyone! Great people here in the forum I see. Now, thanks to the information you gave, I bought myself an Elite. And I think I might need some more help from you, but it's probably better if I make new thread for that...

Thank you everyone! Great people here in the forum I see. Now, thanks to the information you gave, I bought myself an Elite. And I think I might need some more help from you, but it's probably better if I make new thread for that...

Do post some pictures.

As for your size I doubt you would be comfortable in the back seats. The road tests of the day stated that yes, four full size people could be transported but comfortwise the rears were really for children. However, how many drivers sit in the rear? (my mother in law is one!)

Hi folks - first post from wannabee Elite/Éclat owner.

I've just been to see a 1978 Éclat which is just up the road from me and at 6ft 5in, I can confirm that I can get in OK - not loads of room obviously so won't be swinging any cats but where there's a will etc...

Really not sure why they bothered with rear seats but they look cool even if they won't be used by passengers!!

Car is great - a truly unmolested gem it seems but at just north of £6k, I think I'll keep looking.

Still looking at how I might move the seat rails back a bit - I was surprised at how comfy the seats are - not a great fan of the Esprit type seats - my butt is a bit big for bucket seats so these were great but the bases are quite thick which impact on headroom. The headlining sags which obviously didn't help but I am chuffed as I can now look in earnest, knowing I'll fit :)

The red one?

That dealer bought it at auction for 3 and a bit.

They are out there.... you just have to be patient and decide what you want, then be prepared to travel and buy the right car.

Dan

I've been watching your car but I'm undecided on a minter (or as close to as possible) or a project.

I know everyone will tell me to buy the best I can afford (and they are probably right!) but I love a project.

Part of the reason I am attracted to the Éclat/Elite is the separate chassis body shell.

I've done a nut and bolt rebuild of a s3 Landrover which has probably cost £7k+ and I may be lucky and get over £3500 when I sell so I already fit into the mad bast**d category, but I reckon that means a Lotus should suit me fine :)

If your car is still available when I am in a position to decide, I'll get in touch - otherwise best of luck with it.

Dunc - yes that's it but I reckon it's a bit rich for me. Wish I'd got it at auction though :(

Dan,

If I remember correctly you're only selling the blue one because of another project :unworthy:

I've done a nut and bolt rebuild of a s3 Landrover which has probably cost £7k+ and I may be lucky and get over £3500 when I sell so I already fit into the mad bast**d category, but I reckon that means a Lotus should suit me fine :):unworthy:

eminantly qualified to own a Lotus, so welcome to the club!