free hit
counters
Virtual desktop? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chillidoggy

Virtual desktop?

Can you use a virtual desktop with Espritmon? Where you run can earlier versions of Windows, I mean.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just a thought for those like me who don't like the idea of using old laptops.

Check your PMs, Bibs?

I don't think that will work since the virtual version of Windows doesn't have direct access to the hardware like the com port... It all goes through HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Why would you revert to an older version of Windows? Espritmon should work on Windows 7 and Windows 8 (I have tested it on several Laptops, both Dell and ASUS with Windows 7, both the 32bit and 64 bit versions) and on a Tablet (ASUS Vivotab smart) with Windows 8. In all these cases I have been using a USB to serial converter (none of the laptops had the old-fashioned serial port). On the tablet I had to use a micro-USB to USB converter, but that was all.

What exactly is the issue when you run Espritmon?

Best regards,

Erik

I haven't run Espritmon yet. I asked the question because it seems from my research on TLF that the software 'prefers' older versions of Windows, and I have the opportunity to load one of those onto a laptop. I don't want to load the latest version of Windows on to it if it means I cannot then use Espritmon successfully. Hence the original question about whether a virtual desktop could be used specifically for that purpose.

I suppose I should have asked:- "What's the best version of Windows to use with Espritmon? Or will it operate with any version?"

It's Freescan that runs on the older versions more happily. To be fair, it's software which hasn't been looked at for 10 years, which explains that... 

Ta.

The laptop I have was using Vista, but I have copies of most older Windows operating systems, any of which I can use. You reckon it'll be OK with Vista, then?

Download it and have a go. Erik wrote the software btw, so if he says it's good on all versions of Windows I'm sure it will be :)

Unless you can plug an ALDL lead into an iPad, then I guess the answer is 'no'.

You can use Excel on iPad to view logs, but for the optically-challenged amongst us, it's a pain in the arse.