free hit
counters
Out and about today - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
sew

Out and about today

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but it still amazes me how bad the roads in Kent (and probably the whole of the UK) are. I took the Esprit out today as it was a lovely dry, sunny day. I think almost every road I took there were many times I thought the car had broken in two. I know in proper sports cars you feel so much more and I don't mind the bumpiness, but it's the really deep holes and terrible repairs that make me wonder what damage is being done. I always check the alloys afterwards to make sure they are in one piece! Still, it was nice to get the chance to put a Lotus on the road today

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The B roads heading south west to Ashford and beyond are nice, well surfaced and fast. I'm in West Malling and there's nothing that much fun around here unless I head in that direction or out and about around TW.

Try driving through Edinburgh, worse surface roads I've seen in the UK! 

I used to live in Ashford and the Brenzett straight on the way to Rye was always a favourite. I used to take my old S4s along there.

Although the Police used to patrol that stretch. I think when I get more time I will head out further a field. Although I love driving the Esprit it's a shame about the roads being so bad.

On a cheery note, the car got a lot of admiring glances today. Makes it all worthwhile

We'll have to arrange a Kent run down there. Military Road down by Rye is epic fun :D

Or a quick hop across on the Eurotunnel. Haven't taken a sports car over there for ages. The roads seem quite smooth on the way down to Le Touquet. Maybe not this week though eh?? Damn Operation Stack!

Hi sew, Bibs, I'm glad I found this thread as I am fairly new to the SW of England and am still trying to figure out where the best roads are. 

@Bibs, if that road trip to Rye turns into a group event, count me in! 

Give West Sussex a miss. All the roads are cratered and now the manhole covers are sinking and these never get repaired. There has been a warning bollard in the road near Felbridge traffic lights over a sunken manhole for getting on 2 years now. So much traffic that I guess they would rather leave it than have the massive jams that would build up if they took time to make a repair repair. 

Thanks for the warning, Mike. I've encountered a fair few such roads in my travels and it reminds me of an auto-slalom course. Entertaining for about a minute until the suspension smashes against the stops and the fillings in my teeth start shaking loose. 

Do you have a thread documenting your engine rebuild, by the way, as it would be cool to read about it!

Report on the BBC yesterday "drivers claim £3.2 million for pothole damage" :realmad: