free hit
counters
Replacing core plugs - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
langleytw

Replacing core plugs

Has anyone done this?

Any tips? They don't seem to want to move.

Not much info in the 'search' files.

Thanks,

Tom.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bought new ones to do but looking at the hassle removing the old ones and sealing them I decided to the the old ones alone.

Buddsy

Core plugs...?? I assume you mean the big brass thingies that screw in to the side of the block, and have a hole for a hex Allen key in them. My feeling was that if they aren't leaking, they aren't likely to and are.. as Buddsy has said...best left alone. Nothing to be gained by removing them....unlike the usual dished steel things they won't rust through!

John I assumed he meant the dished steel plugs to blank off the cooling holes from manufacture of the block. I know they can rust through...

Buddsy

Yes, I was referring to the steel core plugs or freeze plugs as their sometimes called.

Most I have come across just spin around after a good tap and can be removed. But these seem to be really firmly lodged in. Perhaps it's yet another 'leave well alone' moment.

Tom. 

I replaced some on an A series engine so thought I would do mine in the Lotus engine when I rebuilt it. I found the same thing that they didnt really want to come out so I left them alone. 

Buddsy

It has core plugs? Of the steel variety? Blimey. Either I've never found them or I'm still woozy from the anaesthetic when they put my shoulder back together on Tuesday! Where are they, then?

Aha! The only core plugs I remember are in the cylinder head on the exhaust side...when I first took mine apart in 1989(?) the alloy had rotted away and the head needed extensive alloy welding and remachining. Seemed little point in fabricating a place to put core plugs....so all trace of them was eliminated, and the engine hasn't had core plugs since then!! Great!!...I'm not going daft.....

Im not going back out to check but I think I noticed one on the back end of the cylinder head. 

Just checked the 88 parts  pdf and yes one on the back of the head.

One medium one each end of the head, several small ones inlet and top of head, large one in the block behind the water pump....I think.

I'm leaving well alone!!

If it ain't broke......as the saying goes!!