free hit
counters
Just exchanged my Elise for an Evora.. - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blundey

Just exchanged my Elise for an Evora..

Hey Guys,

Just exchanged my Elise for the Evora. Had zero issues with the S3 Elise, was a real well put together car! Just totally impractical, hence the change.

Just bought a 2010 Evora N/A manual.

Few questions:

When doing my initial test drive for 20mins, noticed no issues...however upon driving 50miles and being home, ive noticed that pulling away in gears 1, and some times 2, i can hear a whirring when pulling away/slipping the clutch out. No real vibrations, or feedback, more a noise....which ive had on driving a few other Evora's which I avoided for this very reason. I originall spoke with the sales rep and he said most Evoras do this, but it was the Long ratio gearboxes that suffered the most and this one being a CR gearbox, is not that bad. Read a few posts saying lotus have identified this noise and call it clutch roar, and have fitted a hydraulic line to my2012 cars... Is this true? and is this what I have? Or should i be worried.

Sometimes finding reverse is a mission! Gotta really whack it over there...anyone else have this issue? All other gears are fine...sometimes first a little notchy getting in when rolling to a stop, but nothing I cant get used to...

Lastly the boot....when pressing the button twice, I noted a car before just opened....my one i have to open it myself and push it all the way up and then it holds.....should it make its own way up or does it require manual pushing all the way?

Thinks thats it for now! Car is a pleasure to drive....oh one more thing, how accurate is the PSI read out? Says one of my tyres is 26PSI and all the others are in the 30's ....

Thanks guys!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice move! 

The graunching noise when pulling away isn't uncommon. My first NA Evora did it and I never got to the bottom of why.

Reverse should be easy to select, even easier when the car is warm. Perhaps when it's in for a service you can ask them to check the adjustment on the translator.

For the boot, there's a recent thread on here on how to adjust the rubber stoppers, very simple to fix and not uncommon.

Thanks Bibs for the reply. A recent thread explains the graunching noise here I think: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/62045-clutch-pedal-vibrationbuzzing-feel/

I dont get the vibration feeling in the pedal so much, but I can hear and relate to the same problem...I think..

Reverse is tricky one, it seems ok sometimes, ie when stationary its dead easy, then other times its a bit of a find, and I end up putting it in first.  I only know its in reverse as the camera comes up :P

Re the boot, I saw that thread too, but even when I lift the boot on my own, I still have to push it up till it hits the top...then it holds...the sales guy said it was due to the weight of the boot....so im assuming on pressing the button twice, normal operation means the boot opens all the way on its own?

Sorry, gotcha now. I've had 5 Evoras and the boot didn't open on it's own on any of them. 

Hi Blundey,

I hope you enjoy your Evora. With regards to boot, when released, the boot will not go up on its own accord. It should however, go up on its own accord after about half way. I had the exact same issues as you and replaced both gas struts. Turns out that only one had gone buy I'd bought two so fitted them. They were only £16 each.

I then had other problem with boot not releasing properly so I wrote the thread regarding adjusting the rubber stoppers. It's a 5 minute job and you could even do it in the dark.

Gear selection should be easy and you should get revers no problem. The gears in my Evora are much better than my Esprit. In my Esprit, to get reverse without crunching, I always select 1st first then into reverse.

As for your first and second gear noise, this sounds like the throw out bearing noise other people go on about. I believe it's a common trait with earlier cars.

Regards

David Walters

One other thing to add; with every Evora i've driven, the gearbox is different. Not so much in what it is, but it's charateristics and quirks. 

Think of it as having a baby, They're all the same when they come out (I reliable source told me) and then you find out after a little what that yours has ginger hair. But eventually you'll love it like any normal baby. It's a feature. 

thanks for the replies guys. Will maybe look at changing the struts at some point then. Any idea where I order them from? Anywhere online ? I saw your posts, and looks easy enough :)

Im ok with the gearbox/noise quirk as long as its not going to die on me as a result! :)

That said, I did find a screwdriver sitting wedged inside my engine bay from the lotus dealership I bought mine from. Taking that out with spatulars (hands couldnt fit...and I have small hands!) solved alot of my engine/transmission noise.

The struts are from Lotus, I am sure I posted the part numbers on the thread. I would get your supplying dealer to get them for you FOC and fit yourself. It's the least they could do.

I have a 12 warranty with mine but the dealer was over 130 miles away. It would have cost me more in petrol, so I decided to get them from my local Lotus dealer. Plus it was more convenient for me to fit them than book my car back into garage and wait.

Also had problems with gear selection, which was resolved with the fitting of MY12 cables, making a significant improvement.

Edited by DJW

Mine is a LE 2009 model and hasn't had the gear cable mod done. I don't find any problems with selecting gear apart from when it's very cold and gears become a bit notchy. I tend to take my time changing gear whilst engine is warming up anyway so it's a bit of a safeguard for me not to push it until it warms up!

Do I need to try a 2012 to see if I notice any difference?

If yours is fine I'd be happy with it as it is. To upgrade to the MY12 cables will cost a small fortune if you're not in warranty and even if you are, they aren't a significant problem.

To be fair, my gear changes are pretty good touch wood....Ive found reverse now....think its more getting used to throwing it in the top corner....

So really I guess my only concern is the clutch noise, but from what I have read it appears to be common with no adverse affects..

Congratulations Blundey!!

It's an Elise you can comfortably use everyday. I went in to B & C looking for an S2 Exige S and came out with an Evora after my second test drive in the Exige. I REALLY WANTED THE EXIGE but at 3am on an icy road on my way to work... Nope!

The Evora has all the pro's of the Elise/Exige (Steering, handling and atmosphere) but with a bit more stance for everyday use.

Mine is also a Nov 2010 NA, feel free to PM me with anything questions.. Your car will be very similar.

Mine occasionally makes that transmission noise, it's nothing to worry about. I've almost done about 20k miles in mine and the transmission is solid. The not getting into reverse sounds a bit dodgy though. Get it checked if you're not sure. Mine slots straight in no question.

Only thing I'd say about the transmission (it's much better than an S2 Elise IMO) is that the changes can't be rushed.. Pause for a split second and feed/feel the lever into the next cog and it works faultlessly. If you rush 1st to 2nd in mine then you would hear / feel it crunch a bit. This sounds bad but tbh I've experienced it in many cars before.

Pause a bit and she should behave!! ;-)

Welcome Lee, any pictures of your new car? :)

As been mentioned they can be upgraded to the MY12 cables but these are costly, a lot is down to adjustment and found great differences between pre MY12 cars.

First thing to check is if the shifter returns to neutral when you release it. If it "sticks" left or right you will definitively need new cables. Otherwise have them adjusted properly.

Or do it yourself - http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/52231-gearchange-issues-dissected/?p=419692

Thanks guys, will upload pics shortly.

Re gear cables, they are fine...every gear goes in fine, its was reverse i was having trouble finding, but more user error i think... Been ok this morning...

My only real concern was the transmission/clutch noise, but this sounds common and not detrimental :)

Ilotus-evora-v6-2-S1555246-1.jpg

Very nice Lee, congratulations.  I saw your car a few times @ B&C, in fact here is a picture not long after B&C got it in :)

post-1877-1535283.jpg

• Like 1

nice! They had it detailed, so its come up a treat since that picture! Plus the front end was resprayed :D

MY10 evora here - mine has the transmission noise from cold and struggles a little bit getting into reverse when warm....and it's been idling for a bit.

Ie.....Drive the hour home from work, drive along my lane, leave car running and go to open garage, get into car and reverse maybe goes in the second time.

it's the only time i ever had an issue selecting reverse though and the dealers (Murrays in Edin) have said they all do it to a greater or lesser degree.   I have the new cables and i've just changed the oil . 

Edited by LazyDonkey

lol mines the other way around. Transmission noises only occur when the car has warmed up for 10mins or so. When cold I dont get it at all.