free hit
counters
A quick question for anyone who has removed their radiator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loose Cannon

A quick question for anyone who has removed their radiator

....can you just remove the radiator duct without dropping all the rads, or does it support the whole lot?

My undertrays are off while the bumper gets painted and I'd like to repair the rad support (you know the mild steel drilled bits that rot from inside the fibreglass duct). It looks to be a lot easier off the car but i haven't got time/inclination to get involved in dropping rads/coolant.

This bit; DSC_9375.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure about your model but the rad pack comes out as a whole unit on my 88 n/a . So rad, undertray, oil cooler and fans all in one and its heeeeeeeeeeeeeavy. 2 man job to refit although you can remove it with one  and trolly jack with care.    Fit stainless nuts and bolts when  you put it back together if you can. 

I got some stainless plates from someone on here who had made a batch, thinking I would fit them "next time" the rads needed attention (they don't).

However I have noticed the MOT man looking at the old plates the last few times, so wondered about repairing them if possible

Have enough on my plate with the bumper TBH, so this might be next winter's nightmare job :scared:

Ahh its ones of those while your in there its easier but then the fun starts! The radiator cassette holds all all 4 rads, well assuming you have A/C that is, and you would have to drop the whole lot but then the oil coolers are in the way  :o you can carefully swing them out of the way, assuming you can free the bolt in the luggage bay that holds them! It will be easier with the bumper missing but not impossible with it in place.

post-1877-0-95021800-1422269975.jpg

It will be easier with the bumper missing but not impossible with it in place.

Right, well it's a good thing then that I'm going to the massive hassle and expense of remaking all the bumper hardware in stainless steel; so it will be easier to remove next time**

**© Lotus owners since 1957

• Like 1

Right, well it's a good thing then that I'm going to the massive hassle and expense of remaking all the bumper hardware in stainless steel; so it will be easier to remove next time**

:lol:

Mark

You appear to be in the G car section and I think you have a GT3 so not sure this will apply.  Last year I took out my rad, fans,oil cooler etc.  It is all bolted to the glassfibre cassette and comes out as a whole unit.  As Malcolm says is heavy and a two man job although with care and a trolley Jack I replaced mine alone.  Every bolt virtually was rusted. I cut a lot of them off.  Everything is replaced with S/steel.  It was a pig but the rad steel frame was cleaned,rust killed and painted with Por15.  I took the rad out of the frame it sits in.  Took me a while but well worth doing.  I also replaced the fan cowling from SJ's as mine was broken because the steel rings the fans sit in had rusted and expanded.  They were salvageable so had the POR15 treatment.  Otherwise I would have made some stainless ones.  Instead of pop riveting back in I put in S/S mushroom head bolts with nyloc nuts.  I think M4 but maybe M5.  I now know all this area is in good condition. As the car does not go out in the wet as a rule it should last for a very long time.

Moved to Stevens section.

The fiberglass duct does support all the radiators, you do need to remove all of it, but you can leave the AC condenser connected by moving it off to the side.

Actually no need to remove the bumper at all... Or the lower valence.  But it is easier with the lower valence removed.