free hit
counters
New Evora Target Audience and Prices... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
auRouge

New Evora Target Audience and Prices...

It's not too long now till the new Evora pitches up :-)

I've been chatting to a few friends in and out of work about whether or not they'd buy a new Lotus and the answer is always the same... They'd love one but just wouldn't because they'd prefer an alternative.

Lotus Cars Ltd have started their new era of sustainable profitability as well as building brilliant sports cars.

But just who are they targeting apart from the eclectic group of individuals on here?!

The cars are not ridiculously expensive new but ain't exactly cheap... I've heard (purely speculation) that the Evora 400's are going to be about £70/80k...

This is a competitive market and Lotus has to get it's marketing and pricing right this time or I fear the numbers that they need to do well just won't happen, I'd love to see the Evora finally do itself justice!

What profile of person are they hoping will buy the Evora? Young/Old.. Male/Female (this is more important than one would first think) My wife likes my car but doesn't want to drive it like she used to drive my old 911. If I owned an M3 she would to be brutally honest be much happier! If your partner ain't on board and it's your only car then that's a lost sale IMO. I know lots of people with BMW's, Porsches, Jags and Audi's. None of them would buy an Evora because of it's current perception. These are the professionals with the money in their pockets and they'd rather buy a Porsche!

Arghhh :-(

I'm really interested in who buys an Evora apart from me!!

Would you spend £70k - £80k on a new Evora?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes if I had it. Next!

My evora is my only car and my wife wouldn't ever drive it out of choice.    But then i can't imagine she'd ever drive a car that i adore without some severe persuasion. She'd just rather take her beloved 500. 

I can't see that changing if i bought a 911 or an m3.   Maybe that's specfic to me.  :D

There are plenty of sports racers selling at mid £60k so i don't see a £70k evora being too much of an issue - it will never be the default choice but then i like it that way. 

I think good advertising is key. I remember when Lotus done that whole faceless people thing but they never really capitalised on it. There was a lot of hype and talk about it then nothing ever happened?I still dont really know what that was about...and am sure most other people didnt either. Lotus can make a good car but to sell it to the masses they need a budget Im sure they dont have.

Buddsy

• Like 1

yes i would and will IF it lives up to expectations.  

styling for me is as important as outright performance. IF they get the styling right at £75/85k there will be no market alternative, or try and suggest one ;) .... getting the styling right is bloody hard though... and its not clean sheet so......

...........fingers crossed.... 

• Like 1

First off Lotus needs the new dealers to build presence and get some marketing going to gain visibility. The curent Evora needs a facelift just to justify a relaunch. 

Pricewise the Evora currently falls into  the gap between Boxter/Cayman and 911. Potential buyers orient their budgets on one or the other and either have too little or too much money for the Evora. A 70k+ Evora clarifies the target positioning and may well be easier to sell, and certainly be more profitable for Lotus.

• Like 1

Ohh, yes I would buy a new Evora for that Money.

Well, relating Prices: You can buy a brand new Evora SR in Germany cheaper than a nearly full loaded S in 2012, actually. BAck then I opt for a new Evora because the used ones weren´t that cheap and the MY 12 alterations seemed to be worth the "upgrade". Competitor is - in my eyes - in Germany a 911 (no one, ever, asked me why I have not opt for a cayman / Boxster, it is only compared to a 911), Prices might be higher "on paper" but they do not much differ in reality concerning the "net" Price (a lot of 911 are used as Business cars) of a slightly used / almost new 911. In that category you do not buy a car because it costs 5 k less.

"My" plan went out  - I am very satisfied with the quality, only very small issues that were sorted out in an appreciated way by the local Lotus Service Point. I would buy the same car again at any time, it is like I expected it only much better....

As said before the main Problem is that no one knows that car. esp in Germany. It is not the Problem if the car has 50 bhp more or less, the car must "be brought" to People!

just my 2p    

I think good advertising is key. I remember when Lotus done that whole faceless people thing but they never really capitalised on it. There was a lot of hype and talk about it then nothing ever happened?I still dont really know what that was about...and am sure most other people didnt either. Lotus can make a good car but to sell it to the masses they need a budget Im sure they dont have.

Buddsy

They can't afford the sort of advertising spend they'd need to make a dent in the "i want a porsche" market.   To make yourself heard above the general "noise" is stupidly expensive.

The product isn't the issue, it's the lack of dealers IMHO.

I would have thought if demand was strong enough dealers would pop up?

Buddsy

Brand awareness is shocking. People out there still don't know what Lotus makes and specifically what the Evora is or can do. They all know what a Citroen Cactus is though!

I appreciate two different budgets but they need to sell more than 500 cars in the UK this time round.

• Like 1

There are plenty of sports racers selling at mid £60k so i don't see a £70k evora being too much of an issue - it will never be the default choice but then i like it that way.

Time will tell, if it's £70k with toys included fair enough... If it's £80k with all the packs then I'm not sure! Let's see, maybe it won't be that much.. I hope not, I really want a 400bhp Evora with the ability to pass a 911!!

When it comes out I'm sure JMG's experience and leadership will ensure some proper strategic marketing.

Missing the free press and marketing from Clarkson and the world in 2009/10 will be put down to history and DB's head in the clouds management strategy!! Charismatic, visionary and cool but a useless CEO.

If it's in the £70-80k bracket I worry that it's going too niche and is neither a Cayman category or 911 contender and will again miss mass appeal and car sales.

I'm just an enthusiast who loves Lotus and wants to see themselves do justice as there's a bit of money out there now, really hoping they stick their necks out and grab the opportunity! I'm wondering also if like Kia and Ferrari including service plans and comprehensive warranty packages into the model might help people get over the hurdle of "Lots of trouble usually serious" and where is my nearest dealer!!

Lotus needs to tell the world what it is (re sell Chapman's Lightness religion, lean, fuel efficient and handles like nothing else can this side of a M F1) how fast it goes (as quick as a 911, hopefully!) and the brand exclusiveness they are buying into (It's not another mass produced accountants dream, it's a hand built British thoroughbred but still cheaper than a 911!!).

Remember Clarkson and Hammond deliberating over it... Hammond said it was expensive but Clarkson said "not when you compare it to an F430"!

Exciting times... Come on Lotus!

I hope that plenty of people buy them, that way I can buy a used one in a couple of years that will fall into my price range.

My wife loves my Evora, the looks, the sound, the comfort, but she really doesnt like driving it, mainly due to the offset pedals and limited rear visibility.  She would take her Subaru Outback every time if she was driving.

I love lotus, I'had have an elise, then an exile and now an evora, so I know exactly value and lack of lotus

I think every lotus is too expansive at all, the dynamics is amazing, the best one, but, interior, electronics, optionals etcetera are the same of 10 years ago... elise/exige seats? ridiculous compared to porsche or jaguar... infotainment? idem... 

and now, let's talk about the engine and gearbox... why lotus still buy toyota parts??? it could buy audi, renault, honda...

look at the jaguar f-type, at the same over's price you can buy an amazing, luxury car... 

it's the same for porsche...

I think the speech above it's about a new buyer who have tho choose between porsche, audi, jaguar, maserati, corvette... 

I'm in love with lotus, and despite that, I'll still buy lotus, I'll be in geneva to see the new evora and I hope to get one next year...

At the end I think JMG must identify the new lotus buyer and arrange correctly the price of the evora, not too expansive like a 911 s but like a cayman gts! (with the plus os 2+2 seats)

well, it's decided then, we need to get a load of Evoras and drive them through all the biggest cities across the UK and pick big national events to all meet at and leave the cars parked together in a prominent position. 

As the car is right all the market needs is to see the goods, the rest will follow  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

well, it's decided then, we need to get a load of Evoras and drive them through all the biggest cities across the UK and pick big national events to all meet at and leave the cars parked together in a prominent position.

As the car is right all the market needs is to see the goods, the rest will follow :thumbsup:

Haha!! Where when, I'm in !! Can you imagine more than 10 Evora's in the same place?! :)

• Like 1

I have hardly ever seen any publicity for Lotus., either in the motoring press or in 'Life style' magazines. The F1 team branding certainly helps to raise awareness without any doubt, and at least now, many more people around the world have heard of Lotus. Most people don't know what they are however, and it has never been marketed as something aspirational. I'm currently in the market for an Evora and would have probably bought one by now, but wish to see what the new model will be like. The pricing is key, it has to be seen to be reasonable value for the product offered. The Evora launch was a disaster. The S should have been the launch model, with the N/A coming later as a more economical alternative. At launch it was perceived to be too costly for the power and performance offered. On top of that, Bahar's phantom 5 rendered it obsolete at birth in the public's mind. I'd also suggest all the various packs and options offered where a little confusing, for that reason I hope they keep the SR versions going as it makes the marketing a bit simpler to understand. We here are all Lotus people for one reason or another, the problem is how to connect to everyone else. 

• Like 2

Bibs, you beat me to it with that post!  :thumbsup: I read the one before and thought I know just the photos!  That plethora of Evoras was taken in Aug 11 at Knockhill by my son when we managed to get more than 50% of all Evoras total sold in Scotland at that time together with the help of Murray Motor Co. (27 at the time I think it was) This was a LEGS gathering at a Race Meeting day and parade the cars at lunchtime to display them and let the public see them.  Seemed to be more than Lotus was doing at the time or since for the model.

I have a lot more photos where they came from inc. a great panorama stich together that is my screensaver at home.

• Like 1