free hit
counters
Exige Luggage - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TonyKL

Exige Luggage

Ok, following on from the Evora luggage thread.  Does anyone have any neat solutions to the Exige V6 boot?  I've got some old sports bags that fitted in my VX and S2 however it's probably time I updated them.

Don't fancy spending the £500 of the Lotus luggage in the shop but wondered if anyone had found some nice solutions that it better than squashable carrier bags.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Exige boot is pretty big, bigger than the Elise and Evora. You'll have a lot more choice I think :)

• Like 1

The Exige boot is pretty big, bigger than the Elise and Evora. 

Oh, I thought it was going to be smaller than the S2

Not the best shot to illustrate but it will give you an idea :)

2012_Lotus_Exige_S-21.jpg

At first it'll seem cavernous compared to what you're used to in the Sprint, Tony. To be fair, the opening aperture in the S2 gave the impression the space was smaller than it actually was, as it extended all the way back to the inner wall of the rear transom, but the V6  luggage compartment doesn't do this.

Edited by Arun_D

Firkin ace! 

:wub:

• Like 2

Oh, I thought it was going to be smaller than the S2

I think it is smaller - it's been 3 years since I had my Elise (2003 vintage with washer bottle in the front), but it certainly feels like it's shallower in the Exige, plus on the Elise there was space around the battery, which is all used up, and "boxed" in on the Exige.

For euro trips in the Elise, I could get a trolley jack, a sports bag full of tools, crash helmet, shoes and other sundries stuffed into the gaps plus another good sized sports bag of clothes in the boot. It doesn't feel like I could get all that into the Exige.

Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised to get both a wheeled laptop bag and large carry-on suitcase into the Exige boot (as was Mrs S, as otherwise it was going to be at least one on her lap :) ):

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-verb-span-expandable-rolling-brief.shtml

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-verb-pilot-carry-on.shtml

Phil.

Edited by PhilS

Cool, I do think the entry is wider however the overall space is more limited.

Yes, I think you're right. Not that it's an issue for the coupe, but for me, the padded roof doesn't help, either - because now I think about it, I also used to get the Elise roof in there as well! The Exige roof seems to take up half of the boot on its own!

The folded roof fits behind the seats nicely.

Thanks, I've not tried that - I'll give it a go!

This was the case with my VX however it wouldn't fit in my S2.

On 1/30/2015 at 12:32, PhilS said:

Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised to get both a wheeled laptop bag and large carry-on suitcase into the Exige boot (as was Mrs S, as otherwise it was going to be at least one on her lap :) ):

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-verb-span-expandable-rolling-brief.shtml

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-verb-pilot-carry-on.shtml

Phil.

This sounds rather impressive. Any chance it is possible to confirm how does this work? Reason being I'd be superhappy to be able to fit standard small carry-on (55cm*40cm*20cm) in the boot, but so far the only confirmed view that I've got (big thank you goes to @Jamie-BellandColvill) is that it won't fit since the dimensions are roughly 72cm*32cm*26cm. Please share your experiences. Thank you!

5 hours ago, vd9 said:

This sounds rather impressive. Any chance it is possible to confirm how does this work? Reason being I'd be superhappy to be able to fit standard small carry-on (55cm*40cm*20cm) in the boot, but so far the only confirmed view that I've got (big thank you goes to @Jamie-BellandColvill) is that it won't fit since the dimensions are roughly 72cm*32cm*26cm. Please share your experiences. Thank you!

I'm away at the moment, so limited in what I can show you, but the smaller of the two goes in first, then pushed right over to right hand side into the corner of the clam, then the larger one goes in at an angle so you can push it under the lock towards the rear of the car. I might have a picture on my phone - if I do, I'll add it to the thread in a moment. 

• Like 1

Thank you, @PhilS!!! This is supremely helpful and pretty much concludes my deliberations. Very kind of yours to bother with digging out the photo, thank you!

Happy to help, and no problem at all. 

Out of interest, having just completed a 1600 mile round trip over 2 weeks in the Exige, I've found there is more room in the boot than I thought. We normally use very soft collapsible overnight bags that will squash into odd shaped corners but I also carry a few odds and sods such as a compact tyre compressor, additional tyre goo, torch and various other things that all take up space.

Pulling off the battery compartment cover, I found I could get all these things behind, round the left hand side and on top of the battery. Obviously you need to make sure there aren't any metal bits against the terminal but I used to do this with my old Elise and just thought this area was now unusable on the Exige, but no, you can still use it.

Friends I travel with always look at the opening and assume you can't get much in the boot but then can't believe just how much I manage to stuff in there. You just need to be a bit inventive, like rolling up fresh keks in a plastic bag and shoving them into the passenger footrest. :) I even managed to get a top hat (don't ask) in the boot along with everything else and we never needed to wear the same thing twice, apart from shorts and trainers etc.

I hadn't thought of looking in the battery area. The boot is notably smaller than the vx220 boot so am struggling, especially when a spare fuel can and 2 helmets are needed.

Found a compact AA tyre inflator the other day at a BP garage that is very small and does the job so I will keep that in there all the time now.

Martin S