free hit
counters
Seat belt anchorage - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My seat belt light flickers on and off but is fine if I hold the clip tightly against the anchorage bolted into the central tunnel. It was picked up on an MOT. I need to remove the drivers seat and undo the bolt holding the short bit of seatbelt clasp into the central tunnel to investigate. 

My question is does the bolt simply anchor into a threaded part of the chassis or is there a plate inside the tunnel which will then cause all sorts of problems getting back into place.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've removed mine, I don't have a photo apparently, but I don't remember having to hold a wrench to the other side. They are easy to remove. Most likely the wire to the seat belt receptacle needs a new crimp.

Thanks Travis. Many a time I have attempted a seemingly simple job and ended up with hours of work.

This one is easy, but do yourself a favor and just remove the seat first...  They are super easy to remove and will just make everything easier.

Here are the receptacles and the suspect wiring.

IMAG0212.jpg

If you try and loosen the bolt, and it just spins... then obviously there is a nut between the chassis and the body that I forgot...

IMG_0486.JPG

Does the wiring require you to remove the centre console? I have a new set of belts for my SE which I intend fitting in a few months time.

Thanks!

Ian

depends on where the fault is.

If the fault in the wire is near the receptacle, then no, if it the part that goes under the carpet, then maybe yes.

If the fault in the wire is near the receptacle, then no, if it the part that goes under the carpet, then maybe yes.

There's actually no fault with mine other than cosmetic appearance. I was just wondering where the normal connections were.

Cheers

Ian.

I've just started fitting a seatbelt to the driver's side (RHS) of my SE. The kit came from DeRoures, but the some of the parts look a little different (The belts are supposed to be equivalent. The DeRoures one supersedes the old one). Here are the anchoring components near the driver's door (old and new):

http://www.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/Lotus/SeatBeltAnchorComponents.jpg

I assume the stepped spacer (A) replaces the white plastic thing (E), but the orientation may be different.

The combined thickness of spacers (A) & (B) equals the thickness of spacer (F), not including the narrow part of (A).

What's the function of the wavy washer? Does it stop the seat belt rattling?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian.

Update: According to Lotus, the new seat belts are fitted to the V8's as standard (Europe/Australia). The V8 parts manual is no help, however. The parts diagrams are identical to the 4 cylinder cars (with only 2 parts shown)

I'm making enquiries on the V8 forum.

It looks a bit similar to how they did it on the Elise.

SeatBeltAnchorComponents.jpg

I would think it goes.

A

Seat Belt

B

D

C

Bolt

On the elise

it looks like this

IMG_2618.JPG

Thanks, Travis. Good suggestion. I see your logic.

Unfortunately, I've hit another snag. Whoever suggested the newer belt as a replacment for the old one hasn't done much testing.

The stem on the female part of the belt is simply too short. Here's a shot of the seat fully aft.

SeatbeltFemale1.jpg

With the seat fully forward, the belt will disappear behind the seat back.

Here's a shot from above:

SeatbeltFemale2.jpg

With the belt sandwiched between the centre console and the seat cushion, it becomes a lot more difficult to push the release button. I see this as a potential safety issue.

Thankfully, I was only changing the belts for cosmetic reasons. Unfortunately, as I've already cut the electrical plug off one of the new seat belts, I can't return it for a refund.

Cheers

Ian.

Travis, when I put the old seat belt back, I put the pieces back in the order you suggested. However, the seat belt rattles like crazy.

The gap between parts A & B is too large. The seatbelt metal part is too slim and moves about between A & B. It needs the wavy washer inbetween them.

Cheers

Ian