free hit
counters
Air box cover. - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Air box cover.

Airbox cover that is the part that goes over the air filter and connects to the turbo inlet pipe. Mine has some kind of black heavy deadening material on the outside of the plastic. Guessing its some kind of heat protection? Anyway the bit thats riveted on the bottom has fallen off.

Anyone had this? 

Anyone have a new one in great condition....Nope? thought so!

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure this helps you, but I'm sure I had one somewhere, but where is the problem!

I'm sure that its for resonance/sound deadening rather than heat soak protection. The later cars from memory didn't have any. Fairly positive mine doesn't, but the other one I had/have did.

Not sure this helps you, but I'm sure I had one somewhere, but where is the problem!

I know where yours is...on my car you sold it to me! hahaha

Its been fine just a bit broken where it fits the pipe and the deadening. Just if I could get one in better order I would.

Cheers

Buddsy

Now you mention it...a bit too much I mean its broken on the end a bit and the deadening has come off! 

Hahaha

Buddsy

sale of goods act? distance selling? :getmecoat:

photos?

Hi chaps

I see SJ do a replacement which at £54.00 plus VAT doesnt look too bad. The one I bought from Simon has served me well but as the induction system is under quite a bit of strain under load I was looking at this again. Mine has a damages section where the pipe clamps to and was thinking about a repair. The SJ one looks like it will be easier to buy then to repair. 

My old one the bottom bit of deadening? fell off. There is a bit on the top but the SJ one looks not to have it on. Below is a pic of the heavy plastic fabricy stuff. Im not sure if its for sound proofing or what?

IMG_20160503_223732849[1].jpg

IMG_20160503_223750374[1].jpg

IMG_20160503_223817210[1].jpg

IMG_20160503_223825721[1].jpg

Buddsy

Ok so I spoke to Steve at SJ who told me that heavy old material was sound deadening to reduce the intake sound. The early cars didnt have this. As mine had lost the bottom deadening and the glue was braking down I removed the top bit too. removed the pop rivets and filled the holes. Re glassed the broken section and a couple of coats with a rattle can and it looks much better!

IMG_20160525_205924975_zpsjxdd812g.jpg

IMG_20160526_074546532_zpstwtsx3rj.jpg

Buddsy

Looks great under there, nice and clean. Give me hope for my project to come up nice looking. Is that silver mat on the walls of the bay I see? Something like Dyna Mat for sound deadening???

34 minutes ago, jcslocum said:

Is that silver mat on the walls of the bay I see? Something like Dyna Mat for sound deadening???

The stuff I removed was painted black and very thin...I used turkey foil from my local supermarket. Some one on here used gold reflective insulation foil.like the McLaren. Later I found its purpose is to suppress interference for the radio so if I was doing it again I would go for the trukey foil or maybe not even bother?

Buddsy