free hit
counters
Fuel lines spec on 88 NA - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
brianc

Fuel lines spec on 88 NA

Does anybody have the spec on the sizes of the fuel pipes and connectors for the fuel lines which run from the inline fuel filter to both Dellorto carbs?

Mine are looking a bit sorry and I'd like to replace them before a possible leak occurs.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Brian,

Did all this on my Turbo last year, below is an extract from my blog entry on this, hope it helps.  Make sure you diarise to re-tighten the hose clips after a month or two...

Fuel filter - Mann Filter WK830/7 about £6
Fuel pump - This generic lookalike from Ebay, £40 and works fine
Balance pipe - alloy tube 25mm diameter, I think it was 55cm long, but I had to cut it down a little about £15 I think with the beading added
Balance pipe grommets - 38mm diameter £pennies
Hose clips - JCS Hi-Grip stainless £1.40ish each but worth it
Hoses - a few different diameters and grades, all nitrile and SAEJ30R9-or-higher compliant:
Tank to balance pipe 25mm marine reinforced fuel hose which is very heavy duty and hard work to bend to fit. Not totally happy with it to be honest, but it is secure and does the job. The alternatives I could find weren't as ethanol proof, but I probably could have looked harder.
Tank to pump 12mm
Pump to filter 7.6mm
Filter to fuel pipe 9.5mm. This one could have done with being narrower at the filter but I couldn't get the 7.6mm to fit onto the pipe. The larger pipe is secure at the filter.
All the rest are 9.5mm

Thanks Neil, just the sort of info I was looking for.

I was hoping not to have to replace the actual unions and it sounds like this is the case following on from what you've said.

I assume that the nitrile hoses are ethanol resistant?

Yep, no need to replace the unions going into the carbs.  There's a sealing washer in each if you feel the urge to replace every bit of rubber in the system.  All the hoses I bought were nitrile and ethanol resistant - I got paranoid about the old hoses rotting from the inside and clogging up the carbs.  Only ones I missed were the fuel filler hoses, which don't get constant exposure.

good luck!

Good info Neil,

Anyone know if the same specs apply to an 82 n/a?

TIA

Dave

Thanks Neil.  I've decided to replace the fuel filter as well as the pipes and use high quality clips.  The current pipes just seem to be a push fit on the connectors.  I'll probably order up the sealing rings as well just to be on the safe side.