free hit
counters
Tesla 'Insane' mode - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bee

Tesla 'Insane' mode

Okay, I now want every new Lotus to come with an 'Insane' button ...

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So after 3 minutes of video he probably has to recharge the batteries.  :help:

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Some truth in that - if you drive carefully you can get close to the quoted range (302 miles) in a Model S but drive with a heavy right foot and its more like 180.  Thats doing flat out pull aways from every junction, lights etc which you will do as the acceleration is so addictive.  

I dont think this is any different though from a petrol car.  As a comparison I borrowed a BMW M5 a while back and drove it the same way and got 7mpg / emptied the fuel tank in 100 miles. 

Charging time depends on the charger used.  The Tesla superchargers give a half charge in 20 mins which is OK when on a long trip, by the time you have a coffee its pretty much full.  A charge from empty on a 32A charger (most common type at home) takes about 10 hours for the Model S and 6 for the Roadster from empty.  Its rare however to take this long as I drive about 70 miles / day so its just topping up.  You actually spend far less time charging an electric car than filling up a petrol one - it takes about 5 seconds to plug in.  The car is then charging when you are at work or asleep at home.

I keep wondering about this optimism on electric cars. I'll admit I could do about 80% of my travels with one, surely the daily chores. But, longer trips on the Autobahn wold be most aggravating. Even if I get the 180 miles from a full charge, after a 20 minute supercharge I'll have to stop again after 90 more miles.

Additionally, in the cities few people have their own garage where they could install a charger. Most potential buyers park their cars on the streets and you would have to plaster the sidewalks with chargers. Whilst we have a shared garage there isn't even a power outlet available per parking space.

So, what might work in LA suburbs likely never will work in London, Hamburg, Berlin, or NY.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

So, what might work in LA suburbs likely never will work in London, Hamburg, Berlin, or NY.

I think it is already working pretty well in London.

I been thinking about getting a small electric car for my wife. She commutes about 25 miles each way per day. Something like the leaf can do over 100 on a charge. We could charge over night. Maybe 4 or 5 times per year we drive to london etc. We could just take my Zafira or if we plan the journey could even do it in an electric car.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I don't understand why the roof isn't covered in solar panels. While I know it won't charge the car much, it's got to help! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Or get it very hot in there! Lol

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Solar panels....for a car roof....hmmm. Jolly expensive things, still. Also the output from them varies hugely with the incident angle of the sunshine...square on to the panel is best, and the output decreases away from the optimum. Then you have to fiddle with voltage to get the right charging voltage...and the current output is probably not enough to make much contribution to the charge state of the batteries. If you left it parked in strong sunshine all day, then it might help a bit; but I don't think solar panels would be cost effective. The have raced solar powered vehicles across Australia.....Wiki has a good article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Solar_Challenge

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The beauty of tgat drag race is AMG Merc spent £30 on petrol, tesla £5 electric and still 120 mile left in the tank.

If i had 80k in the bank doing nothing and a horendous company car tax bill id be placing an order,opting out of the car scheme and getting pence per mile back to run my tesla, the depriciation is off set by the savings in road tax, fuel and maintenance but boy will it go through tyres.

Well i would have to spend 2k having a power outlet installed in the garage (plus 3 months negotiating with the landlord), which would cover 80% of my trips. Once a week I would spend at least a half hour looking for a charging station (and another half hour to get to my actual destination by public transport). I would also have to double or triple the time when visiting family in southern Germany. Oh, and those great trips through the Alps would also need an immense logistical planning effort. 

OK, for a quarter mile electric power is great, but my life isn't on a drag strip. Fortunately!  :smoke:

Ha ha i take your point, for me with a 70 mile round trip commute to work and 65 mile round trip once a week to take the little un to see his grand parents i would be £80 a week better off just in fuel.

Tesla came up with a battery swap at fuel stations, they swapped a battery of some sort for a fully charged one faster than you could fill your fuel tank. Problem obviously is that this would cost money but the idea worked

Now if Tesla can do that battery swap on the Col de la Bonnet (or within 25 km thereto)   things might look different. 

I'm definitely noticing more electric hook ups being installed now. Multi story car park in Plymouth last week and even two Electric hook up in Sainsburys car par in Exeter put in last week - great big TESLA signs over the top.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm very near to buying a BMW i3. When I test drove it, I  was most impressed by the pull away acceleration. I just kept expecting it to stall! Very nice car. 

I'm planning to buy it as a company car - no corporation tax! No road fund. £5000 gov grant.

The home charger installation is 'free' because there is a £900 gov grant to the installer. I am planning to upgrade to a 7kW charger at £95.

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Its good for the company as well - you can write off 100% of the value against corporation tax in year 1 then for you there is no benefit in kind.  As well as no road fund there is also no congestion charge in London (you do have to register for this).  If you install a charger (or just an exterior 13A plug) at work then you will need less charging at home.  Watch that the benefit in kind does change next year through (5% I think).  I am luck to have has 5 years tax free.

Are you going for the range extender version - if not the 22kWh battery pack will limit you to short journeys.  Heard good feedback from a couple of owners on the i3.

Range Extender - takes it to 180 mile range - on paper that is. Good for resale too.

Hows the i3 compare to the tesla on price? Surely the tesla has a better range by the sounds of it?

Retract comment....i mistaken an i3 for an i8 (googled it after typing)

Hows the i3 compare to the tesla on price? Surely the tesla has a better range by the sounds of it?

Retract comment....i mistaken an i3 for an i8 (googled it after typing)

The i3 compares well with the Tesla on price, with the i8 its the other way around, the Tesla is cheaper & faster.  Below are base prices in order of 0 to 60 (I like acceleration :-)

BMW i3

Price      £30,680

Range    81-100 miles

0 to 60    7.3

BMW i3 range extender

Price      £33,830

Range    150-186 miles

0 to 60    7.9

Tesla S60

Price    £50,880

Range  240 miles

0 to 60   5.9

Tesla P85
Price   £58,300
Range    310 miles
0 to 60    5.4

BMW i8
Price   £104,540
Range   310 miles
0 to 60   4.4

Tesla P85d
Price   £78,700
Range    300 miles
0 to 60    3.2

How does the Evora S fit in price wise?  I know the 0 to 60 is 4.4 & you can not really compare range as you can just fill the tank.  I looked on the Lotus site for prices but they seem well hidden.

Seems like funds are draining as fast as their batteries. 

My i3 now on order. 14 week delay has evaporated to just 7 over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Odd?