free hit
counters
Tesla 'Insane' mode - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bee

Tesla 'Insane' mode

Doctors salaries eh! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

At least they are all at work!!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Don't laugh....but

The wife's got a Nissan leaf - and frankly it's fantastic. Charges at home - we've got 8kw of solar - so in the spring/summer it's almost free to run

She's done 22k in it in the last 12 months - and never ran it flat.

It's very nice to drive - and I've gotta work hard and get a tesla!!

The future is here already - how the national grid will cope when everyone's got one I don't know

Only here once

Which hospital is that?

Are you asking for a transfer and a pay rise? :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Ha!

Just heard we will get a pay drop next!! Thanks for that.

No, I'm going to send the image to my managers so they feel guilty and install some more chargers. We have 1 that doesn't work.

Obviously if its a private hospital........

It was in knutsford town centre close to the mclaren dealer, i used the car park to do a u-turn and couldnt believe my eyes, ill get s picture of the signs on my next visit, no major hospital im aware of so could be private or maybe even a plastic surgery clinic in cheshire ha ha

Picked up my new i3 on Sunday

20150505_164102_zpsj6vxbcjp.jpg

I'm just amazed at the acceleration. Its obviously not a P85d but its faster than anything else I have owned.

Top speed is...well I dont know but I didnt reach it on the way back from Warwick to Oswestry.

This is also one very clever car. The multimedia/nav/connected packages are well integrated and they seem to have thrown alot of effort in keeping these things running - clearly would not want the bad publicity of a broken down one at the side of the road.

Having looked through the charging networks, seems that most are currently free. Nice.

I filled up the range extender fuel tank yesterday for the grand sum of £9.

So, I feel I now have a nicely balanced pack. Gas guzzling S3 offset by the greener i3. But both are great fun to drive.

Unfortunately, I also had a drive out in the i8.........that is one nice car....

20150503_135402_zpsu6d4027c.jpg

The drive-by noise is a little disappointing though considering how they look! 

• Like 1

Evora NA

Well, its funny.

I put the i8 into 'sport' mode or whatever they call it - essentially engaging the petrol engine. Sound inside was great - deep throaty and mean growl. I was convinced there was a large v engine back there.

Turns out its just a 3 cylinder 1.5L. How do they do that? Was the noise false? Didnt feel it.

Well, its funny.

I put the i8 into 'sport' mode or whatever they call it - essentially engaging the petrol engine. Sound inside was great - deep throaty and mean growl. I was convinced there was a large v engine back there.

Turns out its just a 3 cylinder 1.5L. How do they do that? Was the noise false? Didnt feel it.

The noise inside is synthetic!  Yes, it really does come through the loudspeakers.  :help:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Ha!!! Got me totally. 

Glad I didn't know.

The drive-by noise is a little disappointing though considering how they look! 

Agreed. It was totally silent cruising through the town centre. Very weird.

• Full Forum Account
  • FFM.png
  • 5,256 posts
  • 84 topics
  • Joined 19-July 05
  • Name:John Douglas
  • Car:Lotus Esprit turbo 1982...plus Viv-theVolvo V40 diesel
  • Modifications:Upgraded front brakes

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Solar panels....for a car roof....hmmm. Jolly expensive things, still. Also the output from them varies hugely with the incident angle of the sunshine...square on to the panel is best, and the output decreases away from the optimum. Then you have to fiddle with voltage to get the right charging voltage...and the current output is probably not enough to make much contribution to the charge state of the batteries. If you left it parked in strong sunshine all day, then it might help a bit; but I don't think solar panels would be cost effective. The have raced solar powered vehicles across Australia.....Wiki has a good article:

New fleet of buses in Aberdeen running on Solar power, what the % is of solar I dont know, but seems to be plenty of them.

Just to bring this thread back to life, Tesla have replaced the Insane mode which gives 0 to 60 in a rather leisurely 3.1 seconds with the Ludicrous option that drops this to 2.8 seconds. 

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/7/17/Tesla-s-New-Model-S-P90D-Hits-60-MPH-In-A-Supercar-Stomping-2-8-Seconds-7728152/

On the Tesla web site you have to select the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade option on the car configurator.  Love that they actually call it that. 

My son has several cars with batteries in them. Nice toys. Enough said really.

I honestly don't believe they will be a long term viable option.  With the recent nuclear deal with Iran, there will be a huge influx of new, cheap hydrocarbons coming on to the market which will depress the price of fuel further for the next 2 - 5 years. Add to this the latest range of small cars with small ultra efficient engines that are delivering 80mpg+ and it will be hard to justify the price premium for pure electric, even more so as the Government purchase subsidies end.

I think the tech will jump forwards in that same 2 - 5 year timescale and we will see an increase in the use of fuel cells such as Hydrogen and the electric car will eventually go the way of the Sinclair C5 and become a novelty / niche product.

There are a large number of logistical problems with electric cars, specifically their charging points, that ALL motor manufacturers and governments have ignored. In most of Europe for instance, the electricity grid is over 50 years old in design and it does not have the capacity at the local sub-station level to manage large volumes of charging points in a small local area (e.g. a street or avenue). This is changing, but it is and will be a very slow process. Also, the energy companies (Shell, BP etc) have a large and vested interest in their retail assets and they will be looking for ways to ensure that these assets remain relevant for many years to come.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

The National Grid is going to be under severe pressure to simply keep the lights on this coming winter, let alone become a power supply for many millions of vehicles.

BBC Clicky

Don't forget the actual refining process uses lots of energy. Couple that with transport and distibution of the liquid....... Electric is easier to move about.

The grids in most countries are near capacity and frankly not being invested in properly. This is great for the oil companies.

Electric is the way forward - but not probably for years and years.

I'm sure we will see the movement away from grid based dependency soon enough. It's nearly achievable now with solar and battery storage etc. there will be some very interesting developments in the next 10 years. It will come to a price point where electric companies make it cost effective not to be reliant on them........

My leaf charges for free in the spring and summer off 8kw of pv

Only here once

There was an interesting comparison on the German car show "GRIP", where they took the Tesla an put it against a Dodge Challenger: http://www.rtl2.de/sendung/grip-das-motormagazin/video/1442-vergleiche/24715-dodge-challenger-hellcat-vs-tesla-model-s/ So, in a sense a comparison between useless and worthless.

Obviously the Telsa won the 1/4 mile drag race and the economy test over 100 Km . But, it failed miserably on speed over 100 Km and on 2 laps on track. Batteries overheated within one lap and in the end the car was crawling at 80 Kph.

What use is a car that can 0 to 100 in under 3 seconds, but takes over 2 hours to cover a distance of 200 Km?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

The Tesla is a contradiction. Its trying to be this green technological halo car. In reality it isnt, there arent enough charfing stations, and then you have to wait 90 minutes to charge it up again. But what I want to know is:- 

1) how long the batteries last with this Ludicrous mode switched on?

2) how many miles a new fully charged Tesla can go in mormal mode?

3) how many miles a three year old Tesla thats done 40K miles can go on a full charge in mormal mode?

4) Imagine we all had one, what would they do with all the old batteries once they were knackered?

Don't forget that you must be able to stop that >2 tonnes lump once you get it going. Almost got a Dutch Tesla S embedded in the rear end of my Evora the other day. I don't fancy any car driving to close behind me on the highway. And certainly not a 2,400 kg battery pack. The fact that you can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a few seconds doesn't automatically give you the response time of an F1 driver. One major issue here is that you all of a sudden give people that are used to BMW 5-series/Audi A6/Mercedes E-class something that behaves completely different.

• Like 1

It doesn't really feel that different surprisingly. Acceleration phenomenal, braking feels good too. It feels very intuitive, and is very easy to drive normally. I was surprised. It also is the safest car yet built apparently. The technology on board should make it very difficult to not be aware of driver stupidities. Lots of sensors working all the time.

The battery pack has an expected life of about 15 years, after which it still has >80%(I think) capacity, and they can drop an new pack in, and use the old ones for less stressful applications like home power packs. Recent technology advances in manufacture can halve the production cost per unit, and increase energy density by more than double. By the time a new battery pack is needed, technology will have made this even better.

A full recharge from a Tesla charging station is about an hour. It can do Bristol to Edinburgh(600km) with one charge up on the way. More charging stations coming online rapidly.

Running costs consist of tyres and brakes. NO servicing costs needed otherwise for first 8 years of warranty, but they do suggest occasional checks, but not mandatory.

It is becoming a no-brainer in terms of cost of ownership vs other conventional cars.

That said, I also took an Evora S for a test drive the same day, and loved it. So involving, and entertaining. I would like a Tesla and an Evora, but I dream.

Interesting comments here.  I have had a Tesla Roadster for 5 years and my better half has a p85 model S.  We do not have these cars for any green reasons, they are simply nicer / more fun to drive.  I doubt either of us will ever buy a petrol / diesel or hybrid car again.  I still do like using my Esprit but now as a classic car not a daily driver.  

The low running costs / company car tax advantages are just a bonus so not worried if petrol / diesel costs drop further.  They are a performance bargain if you like acceleration.  I have not yet driven the P90d (0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds) but the P85d with 3.1 seconds is totally addictive. 

To answer a few questions above, after 5 years / 60,000 miles the capacity in my Roadster has dropped 3 miles.  The 1 year old Model S (15,000) has not dropped.  It also has an unlimited mileage / 8 year warranty that includes the battery pack.  

As for the national grid, most owners charge at home at night when demand and prices are low but I accept upgrades will be needed to the grid if use of electric cars becomes widespread.

Charging.  I have saved loads of time compared to filling up at petrol stations.  At work and home it takes about 3 seconds to plug in vs say 5 mins to visit a filling station (I also end up buying less junk food).  The few times I have needed to do a trip beyond the range of the car I dont mind driving 250 miles then having a 20 min charging break at a supercharger (whilst I have a coffee) to give me 150 miles more.

Small, ultra efficient petrol engines with 80mpg are a great step forward but I love acceleration so they are probably not for me.

Hydrogen seem like a non starter to me - for a start the production of hydrogen currently comes from electrolysis meaning its far less efficient than a pure electric car (remember hydrogen cars are electric cars).  The tanks take up a lot of space, the fuel cells are expensive, performance is limited, there is no charging infrastructure where an electric car can charge from any mains socket in the world. 

In the real world both Tesla's are very fast cars from A to B.  Much faster than my Esprit or Audi A8.  Every junction / lights you can do a flat out 0 to 60 with no noise / penalty other than tyre wear.  Overtaking is effortless.  Only once have I managed to get the car into a power limit mode due to heat, its almost impossible to do this on a UK road.  I accept that its not an ideal track day car though.  The model S can cruise on the autobahn at 250km/h which is fast enough for most people.

Max range is quoted at 310 miles, its probably more like 250 in real world driving in the UK (again flat out on an autobahn it will be less).  Enabling Insane mode (earlier cars) or Ludicrous mode (new cars) does not drop the range as such it just removes a limit on acceleration.  Some people dont want this level of acceleration all the time - when you floor it acceleration is >1g so things like iphones fly backwards and smash on the rear window!

Using the maximum acceleration does burn up the range,  If you push hard it will drop below 200 miles, but bear in mind when I swapped the Model S for a day with a friends BMW M5 I got 7mpg so I am talking about driving it like it was stolen (ahem, borrowed).

Braking - the Roadster sits between the Elise and Evora weight wise and as it has Elise brakes they were a bit lacking.  The main problem is that you dont use the mechanical brakes much as the motor does most of the braking.  When you do use them they are cold and the first time you use them on a trip is not brilliant.  Fortunately changing the pad compound to one of the carbontech ones solves this.  

Model S braking is at least as good as any high end German saloon, the combination of regenerative braking and normal brakes makes up for the extra weight (about 15% more than most competitors).  The very low centre of gravity helps the handling as well.

I realise I am on a Lotus forum sounding like a Tesla fan boy here, but I have done well over 200,000 miles in different Lotus (Elise, Evora, Esprit) and 60,000 in Tesla's.  Whilst a Tesla will not suit everyone (range, price, charging etc) if you like acceleration give one a try.  

• Like 1

Alan,

Good post. I'm going to buy one at some stage. Love the design and innovation. It's going to be useless to some and brilliant to others.

A chauffeur drove me to Bristol last week in a beautiful brand new S-Class...

We got chatting about cars, Tesla did an event for them trying to get them to swap.

My driver had them speechless and umming and ahhing in seconds. Can it drive from London to Manchester in a morning there and back... No.

His cars do 4000 miles a month... How much do the battery packs cost etc etc.. Not viable.

However for me doing 62 miles a day... With that acceleration, looks and interior.. Come home plug it in... Tempting to be different!