free hit
counters
Introducing the Lotus Exige S Automatic - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Introducing the Lotus Exige S Automatic

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does anyone know if they changed the gearing for the Exige? 5th and 6th on the Evora IPS are so long, that they are great for mileage, but useless on track or elsewhere.

240 ms upshifts sounds good, but the GT3's PDK is under 100ms. That alone makes for 0.15 seconds on 0-100 Kph times.

Don't know for certain but looking at the acceleration times and top speed I would say it's a lower ratio.

Trevor.

Same as the Evora S IPS.

I'm reviewing it on Monday next week :)

It won't take long to 'pay off' the £2k option price with the lower tax bracket.

Not for me though, I like a manual box.

It's such a shame they haven't thought of a better name than "automatic" though - it really doesn't fit on a sports car, IMHO :( It needs a "TLA" - perhaps we should have a competition?!

However, it's good that the option is there, and I'm looking forward to a test drive to see how it performs. (Jamie, I hope you're reading this ;) )

Phil.

However, it's good that the option is there, and I'm looking forward to a test drive to see how it performs. (Jamie, I hope you're reading this ;) )

Me too!

I agree that Exige IPS sounds much more interesting and generally less pony, I haven't heard of an 'Automatic' since the 80's and even then it wasn't exactly a bye-word for excitement! Heck even the Excel auto was an 'SA'. 'Paddle shift' would have been better and sounded more up to date. However, it's called that for sales, especially outside the UK, where being cryptic doesn't help you sell cars.

If it helps 'shift' more cars then they can call it whatever they like.

By all accounts so far it doesn't sound like any kind of update on the Evora IPS box. I have driven that and its definitely one of the best shifting torque converter autos out there. Given it's only on the Exige because they can and should offer it, I wouldn't expect it to be any real improvement over the manual from a driving point of view - that is, apart from city centre driving. I'm sure it will be easier to drive on the track for those new to track days but my guess is that it's an auto version of a great sports car in the tradition of the Honda NSX Auto. The rest of the car will still be great but it's more of an Exige for those don't like or can't drive manuals. Happy to be proved wrong of course. I look forward to the reviews.

I should add though that the paddles look great and losing the gearstick in a cramped interior space would have its advantages!

Nice to see The Scotsman keeping up with developments at Lotus. But their picture researcher needs a good slap  :thumbdown:

IMAG0630_zpssynmwm4b.jpg

Doh! :mellow::hrhr:

You beat me to it for the photo very poor of the Scotsman paper.

Probably for the best they renamed it automatic.

I have a friend who's really interested in a new Porsche, I said "why not an Evora?", and he replied that he has to get an automatic due to the wife... Had no idea the Evora IPS was an automatic.