free hit
counters
Evora Automatic? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Evora Automatic?

http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/our-cars/current-range/evora-ips

I was under the impression that the Exige was so named as it's expected to be sold in the far east and other places where 'automatic' is much more accepted and understood that acronyms.

Looks like the Evora is up for a name change too from that page! 

Evora-automatic-masthead.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For our german members:

"Yps"

would have been a solution too...............;-)

(Explanation: yps was a Magazine for Kids that presented a Special tool with every issue, for example: "the machine that create rectangular eggs"...)

• Like 1

IPS always did sound a bit weird.....

I was wondering why you would pick a name which could all to easily be mistaken for an unpleasant Stomach complaint. 

But the that might just be my dyslexia striking again. :-)

I think automatic works better for the Evora but IPS is better for the more sports orientated Exige IMO.

I really want those wheels! 

Edited by Frimley111R

Aren't they the diamond cut alloys which is an optional extra?  On the SR I think it is the same wheel but all gloss black and lacquered. At least mine are but they were bought as an extra to make the car look authentic SR'ish.

http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/our-cars/current-range/evora-ips

I was under the impression that the Exige was so named as it's expected to be sold in the far east and other places where 'automatic' is much more accepted and understood that acronyms.

Looks like the Evora is up for a name change too from that page!

Evora-automatic-masthead.jpg

I actually am on my knees with respect to the person who decided to come out and do this :)

No big way from IPS, to  normal_JPS_one_site.jpgand so... back to the roots.

I actually am on my knees with respect to the person who decided to come out and do this :)

Agreed; Automatic is what it is. Intelligent Precision Shift was always pretentious nonsense to me.

I liked IPS it sounds more sophisticated than Automatic... 

mmmm

I prefer IPS as that's what it is......

Intelligent Paddle Shift

I think of the IPS more as flappy paddles with an auto option.....

rather than say the Mercs which are auto with a flappy paddle option

ah well......

why not keep IPS for Europe/USA and Auto for RoW.....altho' Im guessing that our antipodean friends would also want IPS

Im guessing the brochures are printed in the different languages so its not infringing on printing costs.....

In a world where dual clutch gearboxes reign and are called pdk, dsg, dct, or else it was maybe a bit overdoing on Lotus side to give the slush box the IPS designation. So, at least Automatic is honest.

But the Evora is an automatic, end of... Torque converter and all the old school auto transmission rubbish.

It's nothing special to deserve its own designation, they've just played with the shift points and change speed.

It's not a high tech automated manual which may well be justified in using some poncy initials.

Didn't the 'P' stand for precision, not paddle?

Ultimately, if it comes with an automatic badge on the back, peel it off and your mates in the pub won't know any different.

If it doesn't come with a badge, try no to loose any sleep over it :)

they've just played with the shift points and change speed.

And it detects lateral acceleration, steering angle, brake and throttle position and speed hence the 'Intelligence' of IPS.

IPS and the paddles to your average buyer suggests something like PDK in a Porsche for example.

IMO this actually does more damage to the brand than good because if you make a suggestion and the critics say it not very good compaired to the Porsche then what have you achieved?

It's like Aston's play with Sportshift, look at what's happened to those residuals!

The market has clearly been moving away from manuals so Lotus is right to offer a non manual option. I like the decision to market what they have "Automatic" option and it's been tuned such that it is that faster around a track than the manual but have ditched the IPS strategy and not tried to dress it up to be a double clutch.

The cars are special and good enough without the "smoke and mirrors" nonsense!

I always understood that an auto box was fitted because there is no DPK box which would fit on a tranverse V6 installation and there are no plans for one in the future. The auto box is also lighter and more compact than a DPK. Whilst the Auto might have a slower change than a DPK, it would still change gear much faster than you could with a manual. 

I have never had a problem with the principle of an automatic Evora. I know some keep harping on about manuals, but if the automatic is half decent in auto mode, and changes gear quickly with the paddles (the paddles need a positive feel), I would seriously consider it.