free hit
counters
Car won't start - baffled - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TomE

Car won't start - baffled

Car ran fine a week ago, parked in the garage and back on the trickle charger. On Sunday it wouldn't turn over, so used MrsE's car and decided to look again when had more time.

A bit of investigating tonight. Ignition comes on but just getting a click rather than engine turning over. Battery is fully charged and electrics all working. Fuses all appear intact. Fuel OK, fuel pump priming. Immobiliser turns off. Inertia switch checked and isn't triggered. All the dash tell tales come on and go off but MIL is staying on. I have no means of reading any fault codes.

Any ideas? Starter motor?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A Bluetooth ODB scanner is only a fiver or so, get an ELM327 and you'll see what is keeping the MIL on...

In fact, I'll be passing your area tomorrow if you'd like to use mine...

Had this happen in different cars over the years. Sometimes starter motors get jammed. Put the car in 4th gear, handbrake off and rock the car backwards and forwards. Back to neutral and try starting car again.

Edited by DJW

Thanks Bibs, unfortunately I'm in Edinburgh today. I'll see if I can track down a scanner to use over the weekend.

I have also had ground wires go 'bad' seemingly over night. Check resistance from the battery negative to the body of the starter motor. Cleaning up the grounding points can help.

Very strange - got hold of an OBD scanner and there are no fault codes logged. Scanner is definitely working as I'm getting other data. So why is the MIL light on? I'll take a look at earthing tomorrow and try the 4th gear rocking.

Clicking is indicative of the solenoid not energizing. How old is the battery? Voltage may be fine but current for cranking could be affected if it's got damaged cells through cold/old?

It's the original battery so will be 4 years old in March, so could be that. It sits on a CTEK conditioner all day and that's not showing any errors. I could try jump starting it to see if it'll start off the family barge. With the scanner connected it was showing 12.5-12.7V with the ignition on and dropped to 11.7V when I tried to start it. That didn't seem like a major drop to me.

I had my Lexus isf battery hooked up to an optimate that said it was ok but it drained quickly. Like yours was 4 years old. Got a new one and problem solved.

3-4 years seems to be the limit for the Evora battery. Mine failed after 3 1/2 years. 

Tried a jump start, no joy. RAC came out and battery is fine but looks like the starter motor is jammed. He thinks it'll probably bump start but getting it out of the garage onto a suitable length of road is going to be a challenge.

So I now have some tricky logistics to solve to get it to B&C or BOT while I'm in Scotland this week.

Does a starter motor failure on a 3-4 year old car with 15,000 miles and always garaged seem reasonable? I know it's out of warranty but it seems poor lifespan.

Unfortunately although unreasonable in terms of life expectancy the fact is it's out if warranty so any help will be goodwill I would think.

Trevor.

Good thing is that you can tryto get a replacement starter from Toyota, which should be a lot cheaper than from Lotus. 

Thanks Thomas, good point - do you have the part number or can you point me in the right direction?

Tom,

When I traced the ac compressor the lotus part numbers didnt correspond to the toyota numbers. It was off a US only 3.5l Rav 4. I got the compressor off ebay for a LOT less than lotus. So ebay would be your best bet for saving some money.

Gav

Assuming your car is a manual, I see the starter is £283+VAT. The IPS is twice that for some reason.

Trevor.

Judgeing by the linked thread on LT it is possible the brushes are just stuck so a strip and clean may be easy and all that is required.

Trevor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHQJDhxZc0

Looks like a potential DIY project depending on how handy you are, it's location and if you've got some tools.

If you haven't maybe search for a decent mobile mechanic "Edd" from Wheeler Dealers!! and do it in your own garage?

I'm going to talk to a main dealer about a goodwill repair even though it's out of warranty. If that gets turned down then it'll probably go over to BOT.

Do you mean middle button on the fob, to disable the immobiliser? Yes, done that. I think pressing the logo just locks the central locking?

Tom - is there a build up of grime/grease on the key fob - my starting issues disappeared on cleaning the fob thoroughly.