free hit
counters
Front Bumper stone chips refurb - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
auRouge

Front Bumper stone chips refurb

I use my Evora everyday. 25% in town 25% A -Road and 50% motorway... The inevitable has unfortunately taken it's toll on my front bumper. When I bought the car with 11,000 miles on the clock it looked almost perfect, just a few minor chips but after almost 1.5 years and approximately 15k miles with me it looks pretty bad :(

Safe to say in my experience if you have an Evora or are going to buy one and use it on the motorway definitely get it protected!! I procrastinated over it as it was another £450 at the time to get it done, idiot! I was already £2k over my budget and it already had a few chips that I wasn't sure would look like under the clear foil! I was also a bit suspicious of how it would look on the front bonnet. Didn't realise you could buy just the bumper foil as an individual item!

So I'm having if fully restored this week and the car detailed. No blemish will be left untouched and all war wounds from everyday use neutralised!! :)

After it's been sprayed I'm having the original Lotus Front bumper (only bumper bit) foil fitted (Part No B132X0021F - £134 + VAT foil only) fitted. Hopefully I won't have this problem again... I will report back in 12 months!

Tried taking a before shot but the chips are too small to show up on a regular photo. Here's a shot of the bumper being prepped though.. You can see how much impact damage they endure..

post-15194-0-10962600-1422607551.jpg

Most of the damage is at the large intake edges and the corners. I've only got one or two on the bonnet so not bothering as I don't like the white line that will form over time.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got the full kit on mine and wouldn't be without it. I only have 2 stone chips on the car that missed the film. One on the door that sounded like someone shooting at it - bloody passing car! I also dropped a can of beans on the edge of the boot that the film protected, leaving only a dent in the film and not damaging the paint or car.

I don't have any white line at the edge of the film but do keep the car very clean. I also don't think it's that noticable, unless you look really close.

Jaws,

Thanks for heads up. My next car will definitely have the full protection kit from the start. Thanks for the heads up on the white line not showing. I've been using a wax with a yellowy tinge to it, it's a nightmare on all edges! The body shop will detail the whole car and clean that crap off, will then find something else less powder/residue leaving! Maybe Mer or Comma body polish.. Any recommendations welcomed...

Is yours the Lotus part or an aftermarket product like Paintshield .. Armourfend ..??

I'm also having both side sill foils replaced, they are looking a bit scruffy! Rear arches in front of rear wheel like somebody had been sandblasting them! The foils doing their jobs well.

The LH/NS sill foil is B132X4003H £110.78 plus VAT = £132.94

The RH/OS sill foil is B132X4004H £110.78 plus VAT = £132.94

I get 10% off at B & C to lighten the "impact", no pun intended!

She should look good as new :)

I had the full factory fit ventureshield protection fitted.

As for detailing products; on the paintwork I use either Sonax or AG polish followed by Dodo Juice Supernatural wax. However, on the ventureshield I just wash then use Armorall Shield as it's a liquid wax and less likely to damage/discolour the film? I then top up the protection and shine all over with Meguiars Quick Detailer if I can't be bothered with the works. Couldn't say if this is the best method but it's worked for me over the years.

Speaking to film suppliers you are better using hard waxes than soft ones or sprays. The softer waxes and spray waxed contain more solvents which can degrade the film. I use dodo juice hard wax

I'm also having both side sill foils replaced, they are looking a bit scruffy! Rear arches in front of rear wheel like somebody had been sandblasting them! The foils doing their jobs well.

The LH/NS sill foil is B132X4003H £110.78 plus VAT = £132.94

The RH/OS sill foil is B132X4004H £110.78 plus VAT = £132.94

Have you thought about putting the barge boards on, they take most of teh punishment off the cills and because they are flat you can't see it. A guy in Kent is doing Aluminium ones for c£200 posted, powdercoated gloss black:

DSCN3244.jpg

And a gloss black set (which I picked up for another S3LOC member).

DSCN3250.jpg

DSCN3249.jpg

• Like 1

Was going to send by email, but he posted this on SELOC, so will just copy and paste:

Hi, found this thread and am pleased those of you that bought the boards had No problems fitting.
I have another 5 pairs being polyester powder coated in gloss black.
If anyone is interested I can do them at £185.00 delivered.

E-mail me at, [email protected]

Was going to send by email, but he posted this on the playground, so will just copy and paste:...

Cool, thanks Colin. I guess they are straight forward to fit and mount to existing holes?

They mount off the 2 bolts that secure the bottom of the front A panel and a rear bolt in front of the back wheel. The middle is bonded. There are also little prongs that slip under the undertray to support the inside.

The bonding and a longer bolt for the rear fitting is included as are instructions. It is 100% reversible unlike the Motorsport ones, which require drilling. Takes about half hour for the first one and 15 mins for the second. It is best then to leave the car for a day or two for the bonding to go off.

Edited by Colin P

Thanks for the suggestion Colin but I like my tucked in "coke" bottle waist!

(and my daughters would wreck them by standing on them getting in and out!)

They do look great ;-)

My cars been with the body shop now for over a week, lots of blemishes from day to day running being addressed. Can't wait to see it!

Thanks Bibs, car looks stunning once again. Really pleased with not one blemish. It's factory fresh!

One thing that happened though was both the windows weren't doing their auto blip up after shutting the door.

Have you tried the window reset?

Turn iginition on

hold window switch down and when it reaches the fully open position, keep the switch held down for about 5 seconds.

The hold the switch up and when the window is fully closed keep holding the switch up foe a 5 seconds again.

that generally resets the window.

If your battery gets very low at any time (too low to start the car) when you open the door, the window drops slightly - and when you close it again it does not go back up, but stays dropped.

After the battery is recharged, the window will still stay dropped until you do the above reset procedure.

cheers

p.

10 seconds later and she's working normally, my sort of car DIY!! Thanks Beady, saved me a call/drive/time waisted going to the paintshop!

Love the TLF for this sort of thing. A novice like me can be involved and potter with my car without the fear of breaking anything!

Wish the Sat NAV was that easy to fix!!

• Like 1

I believe the GPS is an external unit to the head unit and can come unplugged. Might be worth pulling the stereo out and checking it's plugged in ok?

Bibs,

My NAV screen just says "Loading..."

Stereo and Reversing Camera all ok.

In a moment of enthusiasm just spoke to Alpine in Coventry who said they will try and reboot it with new software.

Shall I still pull the whole unit out?

Cheers,

Brij

If you have the Alpine IVA-W520R you are looking for one of these...

productpic_NVEM300P_01.jpg

Which you will find here....see item No 36

17_27.gif

BUT if your head unit looks something like this then you have the earlier Alpine Blackbird unit  :ouch:

picture_php_pictureid_27688_38cddb1c3181

Internets,

Thanks for the gen.

It's the Blackbird unit. I'm sending it to Alpine, let's see what happens.

Would it be fair to say this isn't wear and tear it's faulty / dodgy equipment right?

Given it's lack of reliability I'm surprised Lotus didn't do a recall for all of them??