free hit
counters
Original S1 Door Mirrors - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Does anyone happen to have any of the original S1 door mirrors just sitting around in their garage looking for a good home ????? :)

They are the ones that are sort of pod shaped and they fit onto the triangular plastic trim at the base of the 'A' post not the ones that are fitted to the doors.

Thanks

Gordon

post-237-1165249681.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought one of these for my S1 from our favourite auction site:

e8_1_b.JPG

I'm fairly sure it's what was used on the S1 (it's certainly close enough for me not to be too worried about it) and was called 'Sebring Mach 1'.

They do seem to be the proverbial rocking horse poo!

Thanks guys....

I do actually have a Mach 1 but as you say its close but the original one was more square in profile and had a different shaped pod.

I did have one on the car but some midless yob kicked it off about 20 years back and i without the aid of places like LEF it was pointless trying to find the real thing.

Anyway i live in hope and if any one has some original mirrors that they want to donate to the original car then i will be glad to hear from you :)

Cheers

Gordon

Sorry Gordon, I dont have the mirrors you want , but I know who originally made them. :)

They were made by a British company called Alexander, and were sold as an accesory in the 70s.

Hillman also used them on the early Avenger Tigers.

devavenger_18.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg
Sorry Gordon, I dont have the mirrors you want , but I know who originally made them. :)

They were made by a British company called Alexander, and were sold as an accesory in the 70s.

Hillman also used them on the early Avenger Tigers.

devavenger_18.jpg

Hi Wayne... thanks for the info... didnt get the first image ??? do you have a URL????

Any ideas of stockists .... i assume thats a no but you never know?

Cheers

Gordon

devavenger_18.jpg

dont know whats happening lately, sometimes you can see them sometmes you cant :)

anyhoo, this is the pic :(

[edit] bugger i can see them now :):(

oh, they've gone again :)

Edited by dodgy154

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

devavenger_18.jpg

dont know whats happening lately, sometimes you can see them sometmes you cant :)

anyhoo, this is the pic :(

[edit] bugger i can see them now :):(

oh, they've gone again :)

Yup no doubt about it thats the ones... now all i need to do is find out where to get a couple ... Thanks Wayne

Cheers

Gordon

Yup no doubt about it thats the ones... now all i need to do is find out where to get a couple ... Thanks Wayne... sorry .. Dave.. well both of you actually ... i now have 2 options an Esprit S1 mirror or an Avenger mirror :P

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Wayne... thanks for the info... didnt get the first image ??? do you have a URL????

Any ideas of stockists .... i assume thats a no but you never know?

Cheers

Gordon

Sorry about the its there it isnt photo :(:)

Alexander also used to make and supply Lotus with steering wheels for the Elan/Cortina etc. in the 60s, and I also know they made a steeringwheel under the Springalex name (used on Reliant Scimiter and the Avenger Tiger)

We used to sell the mirrors in a car accessory shop i worked in as a kid.

I cant remember where there company was located though :)

Maybe a hypnotist could get it out of me! :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg
Sorry about the its there it isnt photo :(:)

Alexander also used to make and supply Lotus with steering wheels for the Elan/Cortina etc. in the 60s, and I also know they made a steeringwheel under the Springalex name (used on Reliant Scimiter and the Avenger Tiger)

We used to sell the mirrors in a car accessory shop i worked in as a kid.

I cant remember where there company was located though :)

Maybe a hypnotist could get it out of me! :)

Look in to me eyes..... deep into my eyes... not arround my eyes but into my eyes...3,2,1 and your under

OK I gave it some more thought, and I think Alexander became or merged with Cosmic Accessories in the late 70s. Cosmic were on Mount St. Walsall, made wheels, wheel flares, locking wheel nuts etc.and I believe they are still going now under the name Cosmic Racing (Importing crap tuner stuff fron China thats sold in Halfords).

The company was run by a fine fellow called Brian Wakefield.

Here ends my recollections from 30 years ago! :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg
OK I gave it some more thought, and I think Alexander became or merged with Cosmic Accessories in the late 70s. Cosmic were on Mount St. Walsall, made wheels, wheel flares, locking wheel nuts etc.and I believe they are still going now under the name Cosmic Racing (Importing crap tuner stuff fron China thats sold in Halfords).

The company was run by a fine fellow called Brian Wakefield.

Here ends my recollections from 30 years ago! :)

Way to go Wayne......well that gives me somthing more to work on... think its unlikely that there will be any on the shelf but who knows :)

Thanks again

Cheers

Gordon

• 4 years later...

Has anyone made any progress on this, or is it a dead end?

I also found the Sebring Mach 1 on Europa and a similar item on classicalfa but as pointed out, they are close but not identical to the original S1 mirrors. I'm happy to use them instead of the nasty stalk mirrors that are currently on my car, but obviously would prefer the real deal.

Bill

1976 S1

Give Nick a call he will help you out

http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/

Matt

1976 Esprit S1 123G Red Tartan, 1976 Esprit S1 170G Orange Tartan, 1976 Esprit S1 192G White Tartan, 1976 Esprit S1 228G Yellow, 1977 Esprit S1 564H Blue, 1978 Esprit S1 329G Now White, 1978 Esprit S1 336G Blue, 1978 Esprit S1 728H Development car , 1978 Esprit S1  378G Silver,  1981 Esprit S2.2 0991 Blue, 1997 Elise S1 Blue. Trying not to buy any more...