free hit
counters
front of car not level - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
bens4s

front of car not level

Hello,

I've been going crazy adjusting my suspension up front trying to make the nose level. I have noticed many s4 on the picture thread that look just like mine. Front nose is a little lower on the driver side, while wheel arch is same. Is this normal? Any info would be great. I think I'm fighting a battle that can't be won.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

By driver side, I mean right side if you're standing in front looking at the car.

Does the reverse apply to LHD cars?

Settlement over time perhaps, as I guess most often there's no passenger?

Correct, no passenger. All of the gaps seem even. Its as if the body mount is slightly lower on the right side. It wasn't obvious until I lowered it. Is there a body mount /rest up front that possibly collapsed over time? Sorry if that sounds ignorant.

It's only about 3/4 inch. With all the work I've done, I'm kinda wanting perfection. Can caster /camber play a role?

BTDT. (three times on Esprits)

It is not uncommon for the springs to settle towards the side that is always weighted.  (Drivers side, varies by country, heh-heh.)

That said, the bodies are NOT symmetrical. Spring sag should be measured on each side of the front frame crossmember near the suspension pickup points. IIRC, spec is 170MM to the ground. Measuring to the wheel arches is NOT accurate.

+++++++++++++++

If you do not have an adjustable suspension, and decide to correct for spring sag, it's not too difficult. The front suspension can be swapped side-to-side without special tools (the spring/shock assemblies do NOT need to be taken apart).

In the rear, you need a spring compressor to compress the rear springs to get them off the seats top & bottom. It can be awkward the first time (compressor hooks need to be placed in certain positions) but it is not too difficult once you figure this out.

Edited by CarBuff

That said, the bodies are NOT symmetrical. Spring sag should be measured on each side of the front frame crossmember near the suspension pickup points. IIRC, spec is 170MM to the ground. Measuring to the wheel arches is NOT accurate.

my wheel arches are out by about 8-12mm!

Don't forget about the rubber pads the springs etc sit on on some coil over set ups,

I had different thicknesses on each side of the car.

Interesting, I had new spax suspension installed. Ill have to check the pads. Ive adjusted to get it level, but I'm not happy about it. It was level before the new setup.