free hit
counters
Crankcase breather valve (Green Thing) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mikesprit

Crankcase breather valve (Green Thing)

Hey guy´s,

i´ve been searching for a crankcase brether valve (green Thing) for an Esprit SE 1992. Does anyone know where to get it or an alternative ?

Thanks

Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to others, No need to buy new.

The CBV (Crankcase Breather Valve) is easily disassembled for cleaning. It contains a few screens inside.

Its a very basic unit - not a valve at all. Just dismantle and clean out the discs inside, as simple as that. 

There is a stack of metal filters inside. Mine all fell out at once during disassembly. I'm not sure if the orientation is important.

Ok, I'm sure I'm starting to drive everyone crazy with all the questions. My crankcase breather has a check valve before the green thing. I removed it and it only allowed air to be sucked in. I flipped it around and my bov is much louder and fluttering is gone. What's going on!! Is it supposed there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g3uo7jd8g0l8o5/2014-12-27%2012.34.00.jpg?dl=0

The check valve is just below the chargecooler, in shadow, but if you zoom in, you'll see it. It looks like the white side it towards the breather. I imagine that is the right orientation, as my car was running ok beforehand.

Thanks, that's what makes sense to me. Mine was backwards.

The direction is important, you don't want high pressure manifold air getting into the crank case, you do want the occasional vacuum pulling air out of the crank case.  So that valve is installed so the flow is towards the manifold, and not back towards the crank.

Same thing with the check valve on the front of the engine, between the manifold and the charcoal canister. You wouldn't want the boost pressure to go back towards the charcoal canister.

Screens inside.

P4240206.JPG

Bringing this Topic back to life.  :sleeping:  But, just to report on my own findings...

Basically, I'll confirm that this item IS supposed to be a valve.

On mine, what looks to be the rubber o-ring at the top-right of Travis' pic, was actually a "flapper" valve. It had a rubber bar or "bridge" across it's diameter...with rubber flaps that were torn/disconnected from it. :whistle: There were locating bumps on this rubber bridge, that fit into the two small holes in the plate in the upper left corner of Travis' pic.

I'm sure that when new, these flaps worked to release crankcase pressure in one direction, but prevent back-flow in the other. Of course, using rubber in an oily environment led to their demise. :P Both flaps were stuck open in my car; one was completely detached and the other was stuffed/stuck in the CBV's outlet.

I simply removed the flappers (they weren't doing anything anyway), cleaned the goo out of the valve, and re-installed. :queen:

Edited by CarBuff