free hit
counters
Tyres for Turbo Esprit - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Tyres for Turbo Esprit

I know there is a thread about tyres but as it runs from quite while ago I thought its time for a new appraisal of the current options.

Original spec was for

Good Year Eagle NCT

195/60 VR 15

235/60 VR 15

A few year later when the NCT was unavailable Lotus update the spec to.

Pirelli P6000

Dunlop SP Sport

195/60 VR 15

225/60 VR 15

At the moment the front are fairly easy to get

Good Year Eagle NCT are approx. £50.00

Dunlop SP Sport are approx.£50.00

The reviews I have read are not as good as the 

Dunlop Spot BluResponce which is about £55.00

At the rear

Pirreli P600 are approx. 235/60 VR15 £180.00

Vredestein Sportrack 5 225/60 VR15 approx.£80.00

The reviews I have seen for the P600 are not great.

The reviews for the Vredestein are not the best although slightly narrower its much cheaper.

Vredestein do a Sportack 5 165/60 VR15 for the front.

Is it ok to mix makes from front to back?

On Chirsj's recommendation I was going to go with the Vredestein all round but am wondering if I use those on the rear with the BluResponce on the front? Its the fronts that do the steering and the rears the put the power down right?

I could go;

Vredestein all round for £240.00

Vredestein Rear Dunlop BluResponce front for £250.00

Pirelli P600 Rear and Dunlop BluReponce (or Good Year Eagle) for £460.00

At present I have Good year Eagles on the front and P600 on the rear...although they are 30 years old I think its time for something newer.

Thoughts would be most welcomed. 

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I went for Continentals - matching front and rear (although rears are 225) and have been very happy. not sure if they are still available as this 3 years ago or so. 

I put Vredestein Sportrac 3s on mine, some years back. No complaints....and the 225 on the back doesn't seem to have had any deleterious effects. Can't say anything about Sportrac 5s.....too new!! 

ChrisJ said the Vredestein's seemed to fill out to 235 after about a year anyway. Also they have Giugiaro written on the side wall which is pretty cool

Buddsy

The 235 rears definitely look better to me but if I were more interested in driving much further and much faster I'd probably give the Vredensteins a go.

I've gone for new rear P600s and front P6s. Feels fine so far but use to date is very limited.

I've actually been in contact with Goodyear about doing another run of NCTs but the chance of it happening is very small and virtually zero for it happening soon. Apparently the moulds are in Germany but the hard bit with such a big corporation is finding the right person to speak to. It would never be a very commercial decision for them but I'm trying the marketing and branding angle - given that we'd all be writing 'Goodyear' in white it could make a nice PR story for them.

• Like 1

I went with firestone firehawks all round, first on the Na then the turbo.... im a fan

• Like 1

I've actually been in contact with Goodyear about doing another run of NCTs.

Thanks for your thoughts Jonny. Is the above for the rears as I think the fronts are available?

Buddsy

Last time I contacted Goodyear about the rear NCT 's,  which was some time ago, I was told in an email that  the moulds had been destoryed.

I my view I'm not sure if this was the case or if they just wanted to get rid of me. The email did seem genuine at the time.

I dont know how good these older tyres would be even if they would make them? For the fronts last thing I could find was Lotus had recommended Dunlop SP Sport 01. The reviews of the newer BluResponce seem much better so is it better to go for something newer anyhow?

Buddsy

It's worth considering what the tyres you're looking at were intended for in the first place. I had a nasty experience with some Falkens, a brand I thought was well respected and with modern rubber would be fine on the S2. I scared myself pooless on a couple of occasions after loosing all grip on a roundabout (in the dry!). I emailed Falken and got a phone call from a very helpful chap who said that the tyres were designed with modern 4 door saloons in mind and not a car that only weighs a ton. The problem was not the tyres but the fact the car was not heavy enough to make them grip which makes a lot of sense. Plus I only had 160hp and no turbo to worry about.

Just some food for thought to ponder. Hell knows where I'm going to get replacements for mine but it looks like the Michelin XWX at £250 a pop for the rears might be the only way forward, if only they did the correct size on the front too. Then you get the period look to boot.

Pete

At the moment Im leaning towards the Vredesteins all round. I respect Moley and ChrisJ opinion. If money was no object I guess Id think about the Pirellis.

Im thinking having the same make front and back may help with the overall balance of grip?

Buddsy

As with John I've got Sportrac 3s all round and for day to day running run have them at the pressures in the manual - 23/25, and they are fine on the road.

I also take my Esprit on the track a couple of times a year and have had no issues with grip - although I am probably going too slowly :)

• Like 1

Much thanks! I bought apparently the last set of fk452 in the US for my Saturn wheels but have not yet decided to mount of sell all. Had me worried I bought the wrong tires, again. lol.

• Like 1

I have received my Vredesteins and just had them put on. If anything the 225 rears look to be wider than the old Pirellis which were 235. Could be as the Pirellis are off the rim now but at any rate the new ones feel softer than the old hard ones!

IMG_0292_zpsq2or1l8x.jpg

IMG_0294_zps1dl4yuqu.jpg

Buddsy

• Like 1

Vredestein's technical dept. told me that they recommend running the tyres at a higher pressure than that specified for the old Goodyear tyres, to stabilise the tyre walls. I've been running mine at 28psi at the front and 32psi at the rear, and I'm very happy with them. I found their technical query department very helpful.

Thanks Moley.

I will set them to that and maybe give em go tonight!

Buddsy

I got the Vreds too, you will probably find them quieter than your old dried ones too. Altough I have the sportrac3, you seem to have the 5.

I had the pressures up over the recommended ones on the Pirellis and couldn't believe how much lighter the steering was when manoeuvring around. Felt a lot better generally with a bit more psi!

I havent checked what the PSI is yet kinda forgot last night. Im going with Moley and Chrisj who say they run a bit more.

Buddsy

I run the pressures in the manual - except when I go on a track day when I put a couple more in.

Chris

Oh ok so

I run the pressures in the manual - except when I go on a track day when I put a couple more in.

Chris

Oh sorry I mis under stood you. I just checked the pressures that I went out last night.

Manual say 

Front 21 psi

Rear 25 psi

Just checked I had 35 psi all round! Seemed ok....well at least better than my old hard rubber. I have dropped to the original recommendation and see how I go but may think about what Moley does and go a few psi more.

Buddsy

Hopo,

It appears that I will be going with Firestone Firehawks on my 91 Esprit Turbo SE.  My question to you is how are yours doing on your car?

Thanks,

Bill