free hit
counters
Brake Caliper Overhaul. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

post-15056-0-77667900-1423003064.jpgpost-15056-0-81919500-1423003084.jpgpost-15056-0-90164100-1423003106.jpg*I decided that the winter project for this year was an overhaul of the brake calipers (standard set-up). These seemed to be working fine although they did have a tendency to pull to one side slightly but centralised very quickly as more pressure was applied. They had passed 2 MOT's so they didn't really need doing did they? To be fair on the last MOT they did say that generally the brakes were a bit 'sticky' and not very well balanced at the front. Worth doing? It absolutely was. What I found was a wee bit scary.

Maybe a bit of history first. When I acquired the car and indulged in some spirited driving I didn't suffer brake fade (Mintex pads) but the pedal ended up on the floor and needed a lot of pumping to get me home. I assumed it was a faulty master cylinder and contacted SJS to get a replacement. Having explained what had happened they said:'We are quite willing to sell you a master cylinder but you have probably just boiled your brake fluid and a bleed should cure it'. I switched to high temperature racing blue fluid, fitted a couple of braided hoses, bled the system and all was well. I have to say having got such honest advice from SJS I have since mostly used them for any parts (and advice) needed.

FRONT. I fitted new seals, greenstuff pads, 2 new pistons (the old ones weren't leaking but were badly pitted) and one new hub oilseal. I think the hub had been overpacked with grease and the seal was starting to weep oil and get near the disc. What I did find was that one of the stainless clips had been incorrectly fitted putting the pad at a slight angle. This had resulted in the thick metal backing plate being bent and the friction part starting to come away (see pic).

REAR. These were binding quite badly so I fitted new seals and green pads and together with a handbrake adjustment they were sweet again. What I did find was that the last person to work on the rear offside caliper had forgotten to replace the locking pins. These pins stop the retaining plates locating the whole caliper on the bolted frame from moving. The retaining plate was half way out! Whilst this would probably not have led to a crash it may have done a fair bit of damage to the caliper and rim had it let go, (see pic).

The brakes are now good again (still bedding in the pads) considering I didn't think they needed any attention!

Any tips? Not really. Do one side at a time, any problems you can check the other side. It would probably be difficult to remove pistons without an air compressor, but you could always take the caliper to your local garage and get them to blow them out. If you are not confident, even with a workshop manual, draw loads of pictures to make sure you are happy with the finished job.

What did it cost? Doing all the work myself around £245--parts, delivery and VAT. £115 of this was green stuff pads so standard pads would be cheaper.

PADS> I did some research and took advice. I intend to do one track day this year. I liked the look of Ferodo DS2500 but couln't find anyone who stocked them for my model. The choice really was EBC. Anything above Greenstuff (ie. yellow or red) would appear to eat the discs so I shall be interested to see how the Greens manage the track day.

As the man said'If you want track brakes then you basically have to upgrade the whole system'. Fair comment. Roy.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice! My car sat so long at shops (two years +) that the brakes do not release enough to roll down slight inclines when stopped at a light so this hits home for me. I suppose the pistons are rusted and not freely returning but when fairer weather returns I hope to get them looked at.

Looks good

My only observation is that unless I'm mistaken, the retaining plates are fitted the wrong way around.

I'm pretty sure the locking pins should be outboard and not inboard.

Thanks Brian, I checked and you are right so I have swopped them round.  I was in panic mode thinking that I had not locked the plates in correctly.  Fortunately   it doesn't affect the brake operation or security but does make it a lot easier to tap the retaining plates out when the next pad change is due. Cheers Roy.

hey good job.well spotted brian.iv bnow gotta refit mine as they were also fitted inboard too !!! steve

Thanks.

The only reason I know is that I've recently refitted my rear offside calliper after a refurb and wasn't sure myself so ended up looking it up in the workshop manual.