free hit
counters
Removing rear wheel bearing from rear shaft - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
langleytw

Removing rear wheel bearing from rear shaft

I have this spare drive shaft that I'd like to use (it has a better thread). I think it's been in a box of bits for years and the inner bearing has welded itself to the shaft. There isn't any real purchase for pulling it off and it's right back with no room to lever either.

Any ideas?

All I can think of is to drill or grind a groove in it and try to fracture it with a cold chisel.

Any more refined ideas?

I tried heating it but I still have no purchase for getting it off.

Thanks,

Tom.

post-17180-0-18286000-1423044616.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd do exactly as you said - grind and fracture it.

Agreed grind (you will not drill it ) and split use a 1mm disc if you have them.

1mm discs are really good for this sort of cutting. Be careful not to cut into the shaft!! I have a bearing puller...this sort of thing...

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht253-mechanical-bearing-separator-

that I use to remove this sort of stuck bearing inner...clamped around the race recess, and then I wound it off. Alternatively, one could make a couple of pieces of steel plate to fit into the race recess, clamp them so they will stay there and support them on a hydraulic press and pres the shaft out.

Just put "bearing separator" into Ebay or Amazon & you'll see the full range on offer from £20. :thumbup:

Going to go with a bearing separator tool (as I haven't got one) and see how it goes. I don't want to damage the shaft, not with SJ's selling them at £160 a pop!

Thanks for the advice.

I can't quite believe it came off so easily with my new tool!

Just bolted it up and used my bench press, first to push it forward, then to press it off.

Excellent!

post-17180-0-48292300-1423490168.jpg

post-17180-0-44438100-1423490200.jpg

Wow. I have pulley pullers, but this is a new one for me. Splendid information and excellent pics!

For those of us who may encounter an identical situation with rear wheel bearings, do you think you might give us information about the bearing separator (i.e. name, part number, eBay store you purchased it from, etc.) to help speed things along for those in need? 

Thank you!

Cheers,

Scott

Always nice to have the right tool for the job....it's taken me 50 years but I now have nearly everything....(!)

I can't seem to post a link. Help!

But a search on EBay for 'US PRO 15 piece Gear Pulley Steering Wheel Bearing Separator Assembly kit' should find it.

Not the cheapest but then I don't have to worry about destroying it in a single use (hopefully).

Literally had that seized bearing off in 60 seconds.

post-17180-0-15349000-1423500853.jpg