free hit
counters
Driven: Exige S Automatic - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Driven: Exige S Automatic

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very interesting write-up and the first one on the web too.

Very impressive seeing as you only drove it on Monday!

I hope it does well for Lotus.

Better pics from TLF :D but a very similar opinion...

The response from the pressing the paddle to the gear engaging seems really slow...

Lotus make the best of what's available to them but everyone knows the Toyota auto is the weak link in their current offering. A true DCT solution will need to be found to remain competitive in my opinion.

That's not a bad write up from PH. An Exige Auto isn't for me and in Tour mode it does sound a bit average, but in Sport mode things seem to improve significantly - and lets face it, if you're pressing on, you're going to be in Sports mode.

Obviously it's no DCT, and DCT isn't an option available to Lotus at the moment. There is no such thing as the perfect car (not even from Porsche) - they're all compromised in some way - even if fitted with a sublime DCT box, the car may be hampered by a duff chassis, or duff steering etc, etc...

If for whatever reason you don't want the hassle of a manual gearbox, the Exige Auto gives you access to possibly the most sublime chassis and steering in the world. If it sells more cars for Lotus, good luck to them.

Thanks for the write up, been interested in hearing how it drives. Hope it helps sell cars for people who dismiss the Exige because they want paddles.

The response from the pressing the paddle to the gear engaging seems really slow...

After making the same observation on a test drive of an Evora S IPS, I was hoping some witchcraft could make it better for the Exige. However after watching the video posted on PH it's embarassing how long it takes to engage the next gear from the paddle being depressed. So wrong for this kind of car :(

However if it helps increase sales in other countries then that's got to help.

Unfortunately in the UK I feel it gives the wrong impression for Lotus vs lets say Porsche moving forward with the likes of the recently launched Cayman GT4 that seems to have people clambering for their chequebooks at base price of £65k ( although more a Evora competitor).

Edited by DJW

Bibs did the Exige have the same hesitance the Evora displayed sometimes when downshifting, especially when quickly downshifting two gears?

the response time of the paddle shift seems very very slow. But if this response time is always the same you can learn to use it. If the response time changes then I will be really disapointed.