free hit
counters
Finger in the air time... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stuno1

Finger in the air time...

So a question you knowledgable bunch may not be able to answer.

When ish will the 2012 Evora s onwards hit low £30k???

I'll be looking to buy late 2016 ish. Not sure that depreciation would be sufficient by that point.

Stu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've been monitoring these for a while. The proper MY12 models rarely come up for sale. There are usually a couple of previous models with 2012 registrations available in the high 30's, but MY12 still start in low 40's.

Maybe there will be more MY12 S examples up for sale when the warranties start to expire during the course of this year. Low 30's may be a long wait though, since 5+ year old NAs are still in that ball park. Also the shots of the potential face-lift car on the other thread don't look to be more than a dab of eye-liner to be honest, so the introduction of the Mark 2 may not have much impact on Mark 1 residuals.

Really?!  :huh:

As Michael said early N/A cars are only just at £30k and that's 5 years later, generally for a higher mileage car with less toys, and for now they seem to be holding there. Keep saving! 

I guess the reception of the new model will depend a lot of whether folk want to make the jump. Also as you say, warranty coming to an end should see some more come on the the market. I realise they are rare and residuals are good but there are some up at 39k so 4k loss over the next 2 years is not that unrealistic I don't think.

Stu

Are you sure they are MY12's?

Trevor.

S1 exige prices hardened when the S2 came out

S2 exige prices hardened when the V6 exige came out

NA prices have hardened since the S came out.

I was told last summer "NA start with a 3 and S start mainly with a 4" and some 9 months on that seems to still be the case. 

2010 NA's are finding lots of homes at £30k and i can't imagine that changing much for a good year or two.  They haven't moved in the last 18 months / two years so can't see why that would change going forward. 

That being the case the S will stay high too. 

EDIT : Remember the facelift cars will be around £70k.   If you were in a £40k S would you really want to jump?

Edited by LazyDonkey
  • Like 1

All good input. Also, as we all know, advertised price is not sale price. Going on what I have hear there is 2k ish wiggle room in some of there prices.

Be interesting to keep tabs on them.

Stu

Bang on Martin. There are few actual MY12's around, and most seem to be IPS cars. Early MY12 IMO start around £43k, from what I have seen in the last few years the cars loose around £10k per year in the first 3 years or so then values seem to hold. Case in point I was looking at a 2010 N/A car just over 2 years ago and recently its appeared back on the market at the same price as it was back in 2012!

Maybe the car you have seen was the one @ £39,950 in Dorset? That was actually a MY11 on a 2012 plate, have seen several 2012 registered cars that are actually MY11 but some advertisers forget to mention that fact!

Be aware there were several pre MY12 cars sat on by an ex dealer that were registered years later, in fact I saw one on PH recently that was on a 2013 plate but was an early MY11 model, someone had even made it look like a Sports Racer!

Thank you for that chap. When it comes to it I'll drive a MY11 and MY12 and see if there is enough difference to justify extra money.

I'll post on here for this sort of invaluable info on the specific cars.

Stu

All good input. Also, as we all know, advertised price is not sale price. Going on what I have hear there is 2k ish wiggle room in some of there prices.

Be interesting to keep tabs on them.

Stu

I paid £500 less than sticker on the evora i bought.   I'd been using the dealer for servicing for the last 3 years and had a really good relationship with them.   My mate got a similar discount when he bought his, again after using them for his elise for 8 years. 

In a few case i know what the owners got trade in and i know what their car retailed at - at Murrays i can be 100% confident when i say there isn't a chance in hell of a £2k discount. 

Not saying you're wrong and there isn't a car somewhere where there is a big discount to be had but i think you're massively underestimating how strong the prices are on the cars.   Somewhat ironically if / when you do become an owner you'll be pleased with that situation. 

As a MY12 IPS owner (car actually registered in 2011) I remember that Lotus was in 'mid purchase' in 2011 and so very few cars at all were made. There just aren't many Evoras around, let alone MY12 cars, iirc there is something like 500 in the UK and that will keep prices bouyant. I don't see the updated making any difference for you, particularly given the impact new models had on old models as stated above.

I paid £500 less than sticker on the evora i bought.   I'd been using the dealer for servicing for the last 3 years and had a really good relationship with them.   My mate got a similar discount when he bought his, again after using them for his elise for 8 years. 

In a few case i know what the owners got trade in and i know what their car retailed at - at Murrays i can be 100% confident when i say there isn't a chance in hell of a £2k discount. 

Not saying you're wrong and there isn't a car somewhere where there is a big discount to be had but i think you're massively underestimating how strong the prices are on the cars.   Somewhat ironically if / when you do become an owner you'll be pleased with that situation.

Indeed, there is plenty of scope in the budget if I can swing it past her ;)

Agreed re wanting the car to hold its value once purchased. There are just over 200 Lexus isf's in the uk and they have gone up in value since purchasing mine for rarity as well as other reasons.

Stu

And per Ross' point, Lotus changed the scheme for management cars around the same time so there were far fewer ex-factory cars too. Whilst there are obvious interior differences between MY11 and MY12 I don't think you'd be disappointed with the interior of a MY11 car and the handling and performance is almost identical - you'd be hard pressed to spot it. Not that MY11 prices are softening much either, but it gives you a few more options.

Just be patient and wait for the right car - took me 6 months to find mine.

Indeed patince is always important when looking for cars like this. There do seem to be a lot of changes for MY12 onwards that would seem to make a difference. Better quality leather and stitching seems to be key as I have read a number of threads with seats coming apart/wading quickly, changes to the gear shifting and (appreciate cables can be added) access to more revs and slicker shifts, improves head unit etc. They seem fairly key?

Stu

I have a registered in Feb 11 S ex. factory car so MY11 I guess.  On leaving factory it had a complete new rear end of oily bits of engine/ g'box/ exhaust etc. in Jan 13 so the latest MY13 bits then but with older seats etc. although it has a one off factory interior other than the seats that isn't leather but some sort of pleather.  (Told those 2 things will make little or no difference to a dealer at resale other than mileage done) Properly painted up to look like an SR and with all the right badging, wheels etc. externally.  Last month in for its annual Service and MOT and I was asking what it's worth and was told they would retail it at about £40+K which pleased me knowing what I paid for it 18 months earlier. Good for me like others have said but not so good if buying. 

I wouldn't be put off a MY11.  At least go and look at it.  I stuck another ICE system in it professionally done and this car has the new gear change cables which I think (but maybe wrong ) all MY11's do. (My earlier ones didn't at first so I do know the difference in feel) The black interior in older leather is fine IMO although I wouldn't have the Oyster again at least in the older quality.  Also if the car you want is missing any of the packs just about every one of them can be back fitted by dealer.  This car was a packless one from factory (apart from the Sports pack which is standard) and I knew which bits of the other packs I liked having had 3 so had the required bits fitted before I took delivery.  In the big scheme of things to get the car I wanted not that expensive.

Thank you for your reply. Of the options do you know what can not be fitted after purchase?

Stu

I don't think it is a case of what can't be fitted (apart from the Sport pack stuff which is already fitted anyway) but more a case of how much you will think reasonable for any given part. 

In my case I was having a  Pioneer double din head unit fitted to replace the single din bog standard part and I got a reversing camera with that but didn't pay for the reversing proximity sensors and audible parts for example.  Easy enough back fit but superfluous IMO with camera. The rear venturi is actually designed for them with obvious spaces for them to be drilled out.  I didn't get all the interior lighting pack either as again didn't feel justifiable, but got some. 

Unfortunately offshore at the moment for 2 more weeks to give ball park figures for parts and to check what I did get (!) but I did get the TPMS, remote mirror control (A Mondeo part already in other threads), cruise control I think (well I have it fitted and I don't think standard) a centre arm rest and other various bits of trim and badging. The S came with heated seats which I think is standard which my wife had whinged about being missing in previous cars so she was happy!  Sorry not more help but it was an easy deal I did dealing with Craig at MMC over the phone with all this unseen until collection!

Indeed patince is always important when looking for cars like this. There do seem to be a lot of changes for MY12 onwards that would seem to make a difference. Better quality leather and stitching seems to be key as I have read a number of threads with seats coming apart/wading quickly, changes to the gear shifting and (appreciate cables can be added) access to more revs and slicker shifts, improves head unit etc. They seem fairly key?

Stu

You are over thinking it.

Go to a lotus dealer, drive both models and make a decision on which to buy.

I'd be prepared to wager that you would jump in my car and if I told you it was my11 you'd believe me. Maybe even my12.

These cars are unique and id be prepared to bet that a well sorted my10 is likely to drove the same or better as a my12. My car has done 38k and there's no evidence of trim coming apart......

I've heard of some bolsters on the early cars fading quite quickly but certainly not of trim coming apart. That's not really an Evora problem... 

Appreciate I need to try them both just reading up and getting owners views so I go in eyes open when the time comes :)

:thumbup:

Come along to our big meet in May, there could be 50+ Evoras there :)

I'll have a look in the meetings thread to see if I can make it. I'm based in Essex so would need to be close ish.

Stu