free hit
counters
Help to free trapped Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TomE

Help to free trapped Evora

Complicated situation. Car has a jammed starter motor so won't start and can't be jump started. It's in the garage nose first, and towing eye is on the front so can't be used to pull it out. All four callipers are seized to the brakes from when the car went away wet two weeks ago.

RAC are here to try and help but are nervous of dragging it out backwards, as they can really only attach to the rear wishbones. This would be OK to pull it out if it was rolling but will put more strain on the wishbones if the brakes don't pop off.

Any ideas on how to extract it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How large is your garage? You may need to remove the wheels of the offending callipers so it can be rolled out.

Stu

Dollies are a possibility but garage is at top of a slope so RAC are worried they will lose control of it once it's halfway out. Trying to free the pads is our next step I think.

Yep, just give the brake pads some minor attention with a screwdriver or lever.

Use a breaker bar with a length of pipe on the wheelnuts to free the brakes.

Glad to hear it Tom, swearing always works!!

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. My callipers stuck after leaving it for a week at the airport carpark.. The front skidded for six meters before freeing as the ground was wet and cold.

I've started chocking and leaving in gear while the weathers like it is. Get some of these, only £5 (or use a brick).

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-steel-wheel-chocks-x2

Good result Tom, I felt for you!

Let's hope for a cheap speedy fix now, where's the car going?

I never apply my handbrake on the drive, but brakes can still bind after washing the car or a drive in the wet.

Other cars I have had, didn't have the issue. It must be a lotus characteristic.