free hit
counters
Head Condition. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
langleytw

Head Condition.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far in this rebuild. It's been a great help.

I'm now looking at the head and trying to decide whether it's ok to refurbish and re-use.

The guides need replacing and I may as well get oversize valves as the stems of the original valves are borderline. Seats look good, it's nice and flat but there is some pitting in the coolant exposed areas. After a lick with some 400 grit wet'n'dry I'm left with this:

I don't really want to put money into a crappy head, and I can't tell if the head's been skimmed already (I understand that it's not recommended in the manual). Is the pitting a concern if it's not at a sealing junction?

The only marks on the gasket are '17' and the part number. Would this be an oversize gasket?

I'm sure others have been through this dilemma. Any advice would be gratefully received.

post-17180-0-03320300-1423480829.jpg

post-17180-0-15425500-1423480865.jpg

post-17180-0-35916300-1423480899.jpg

post-17180-0-15475100-1423480944.jpg

post-17180-0-77662700-1423480957.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

New guides will be reamed to fit the individual valves so don't replace them unnecessarily. :thumbup:

Hi Tom,

My head had the exact same surface pitting.

I did have it skimmed very very little, so after I received it back not all marks were disappeared.

You can see some on the left. Most was gone.

I did grind the valves manually with paste . You should at least take some time to do that now its open.

Make sure all valves stay at the same position.

IMG_20140928_142836_zps756520d8.jpg

Edited by gvy

That's an original coopers gasket - so the engine has not been rebuilt for a while.  Head looks fine.   The actual surface where the gasket/top of the liners clamps looks good 

Thanks gents. I'll see if I can clean the face up further and go from there.

I agree with Steve & Geert, the sealing area is fine, the pitting is from corrosion when not enough anti-freeze was present.

It's possible to further clean the head by placing a large sheet of wet & dry paper on a sheet of glass & moving the head back & forth over it.

Clean the valves by spinning them in an electric drill & using an old file as you would a chisel & a lathe. :thumbup: