free hit
counters
Silver Essex Spec Turbo Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tocus

Silver Essex Spec Turbo Esprit

I didn't take Tocus seriously, seemed pretty clear to me he was joking.

Funny thing about the Essex though, not many inside Lotus share our reverence for it. The association with Essex petroleum quickly became a bit of an embarrassment at the time. The original owner of my car wanted the Essex stripes without any Essex logos for that reason. Some ex lotus people I've spoken to are surprised at how much more sought after they are now. I think it's a completely iconic look but doesn't work at all in any other colour for me. The white one is obviously an object of fascination but it I think it looks pants next to a blue one.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tocus, were you serious about painting it blue?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Jonny

Agree! The white one is not for me.

An Essex in all the correct livery and white lettering on the tyres........................Well the most beautiful machine ever created.

And me Buddsy............ Another ironic Essex note is how every single Motoring Journo at the time referred to livery as 'Garish' ..........Yet its so brilliantly retro-cool today 

Edited by nello

20hrqk1.jpg

here you see that there been produced only Essex cars inside 1980...

2z7jv9u.jpg

and here you have the A= 1980 and B=1981

my car is a A so its a 1980...

and there where no normal esprits sold in 1980...

okay its not a bleu essex car,

and YESS i was joking about respray, if i keep her for my own, i would respray hear maby,

i love the essex colours, but its right now orginal, and its a rare car because its the first essex specs

other coloured car...

maby there are allready some interested people out there, i also have a monaco white S3 with red leather interior,

so i would think about a swap with a copper-red one, then i have both bond cars, and the onwer of the copper-red gets a very rare overhauled essex silver dry sump car...

Game on!

Very interesting if its a 1980 car and in 1980 they only made 57 Turbos which were Essex cars. I wonder what your car is? Its not an S2 or S2.2 and there are no other turbos listed for the year 1980...other than Essex cars. Very strange.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

They didn't make 100 Essex cars (57 in 1980 and 43 in 1981) as that publication suggests.

It's worth remembering that pretty much all the cars are unique. I've just had a certificate of provenance from Lotus that says my black dry sump Esprit is the only one with full black leather and no air con. Not sure that this adds value but it's nice to know. Given the range of colours and options available together with small numbers produced it's not really surprising that no other identical one was made with a dry sump engine.

Whilst it's of course a personal choice I think that it would be a pity to try and make a fake Essex out of the car which looks fantastic in its own right.

Just to clarify Tocus, do you run your Lotus cars activities as a business?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

No its not my business, its just hobby, selling parts of elite/eclat/excel models,

for owners how are searching for parts and just help them (i break down a couple of cars for parts)

(also 907 and 912 engine's)

and sometimes i buy a car, make it done (so overhaul it..) and do some service and then sell it again,

i also have a 340r i just dont wanne sell it again, its a great car, just as the esprit!

@ topic:

the car stays grey, and i will overhaul the engine, it needs a new crankshaft and yess i have enough of them,

so no worry's for me,

No its happend here inside holland,

but i am the right guy to make this car again running,

otherwise i put the car inside a garage, and just keep it there,

I am picking the car up tomorrow, so i can upload some more pictures tomorrow!

its a long drive, but then i have it, a great essex specs car!

Can't wait to see more pics Tocus - always thought this was a very special Turbo especially with the Tobacco interior!!!

Edited by stephenwhyte

2zfv22x.jpg

k3829g.jpg

made from a picture to a picture again...

• Like 1

Gotta love that interior - so dated but just so cool now as it was back when it was new in 1980

Edited by stephenwhyte

I WANT that interior!!!  :w00t:   What a cool car!!!  

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

The car also gets his stripes back Stephen, also the Turbo esprit on the front,

and i also LOVE the interior! and also still more and more the silver painting on the car,

monaco white look better, but, i also have a monaco white (its now at the paint store)

Sounds like you know exactly what you want anyway!!

One thing I did notice is that the side Turbo Esprit decals are positioned slightly lower than normal -they would need removed to fit the stripes I reckon. Maybe the original order was placed to have no stripes? Andy Graham at Lotus would probably be able to confirm.

14taet0.jpg

4h2qz9.jpg

2nsw09y.jpg

501qnn.jpg

here some pictures i made yesterday

I have here inside the netherlands a sticker company that has allready the orginal sizes of all stickers,

they have done it before on a friend of mine his esprit, and i need 2 sets also for my other esprit,

• Like 1

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can really see the extra puffed up padding in the seats in those pics - I'm starting to think the very first Essex cars and the few like this one that were produced in 1980 had more padding in the seats.

I see you've no exhaust pipe.......

Is the car a keeper or are you going to sell it?

Edited by stephenwhyte

yess thats why i also think the early cars had thicker leather interior, (or maby only seats)

but it looks really beautiful!

the engine and gearbox are out, it needs overhauling, so thats why there is no exhaust...

here the never polish wheels:

117r6yu.jpg

the sticker is still on the wheel, when it left the factory! great thing!

and i also have a bag in the back, never seen before...

1z4hbiq.jpg

there are also 2 sets of keys, with the car and i have a essex manual very funny!

so yess its the first off car after the essex cars,

the history that i have from this silver esprit goes back untill 1985

and i also have all the old MOT papers, and bills just a very complete 51.000 miles car,

i dont know if i sell it again, i start to love it more and more!

29e6og6.jpg

3162fyd.jpg

10gcr5f.jpg

its all essex colours, and its as new, because there is a copy of it inside the car,

so this one stays clean!