free hit
counters
TPMS - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

1 hour ago, phil flash said:

I deliberately ignored what I consider a stupid idea ..  

It’s a very good idea. The system is so unreliable and inaccurate that I’ve had it turned off for years. 😜

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful with the SAAB sensors as discussed elsewhere on the forum I bought a set of these and they didn't work at all with my car. I ended up buying Autel sensors and the machine to program them.

God, I'm an 'old school' Engineer but you're sounding like a proper Luddite.  First, let's talk in psi as it provides more precision. In round figures you get 1.5 psi for .1 bar so increments are

Buy the cheap Saab/GM ones from the USA. Mentioned earlier in the thread. 

Posted Images

Anyone brave enough to try these direct from China at £45 for four delivered? (Evora and other Lotus cars listed in the full description too...)

💰 Look what I found on Wish! I'm giving you £4 off your first purchase with code: lknczcr

https://dl.wish.com/4B5pj

4 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

It’s a very good idea. The system is so unreliable and inaccurate that I’ve had it turned off for years. 😜

Mine isn't. I checked mine when I first got the car and 3 of them agreed with my tyre pressure gauges, the 4th was so gummed up I couldn't get air in or out. Once replaced it's worked faultlessly for over two years of my ownership. I rely on mine when driving, for confirmation of correct pressure and that I haven't got a puncture ..  if I had I'd be putting air in before it got soft enough to overheat and damage the structure.  I'm wondering if you've experienced the 'cheap Chinese' variety ...

Phil           Leave me alone I know what I'm doing - I think. 

On 23/11/2020 at 22:38, Bravo73 said:

Nope. Only Lotus OEM/GM. Still rubbish though. 

I could go into the detail of why the TPMS is on the car and who it is really aimed at. But I won’t. 😉

Go on then ... as a Member of The Institution of Engineering and Technology I'm always interested in a well considered opinion, but have a low tolerance level when it comes to bullshit...😜

tpms.jpg

• Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what I'm doing - I think. 

Oooh, get you. First, let me find a suitable emoji: 👜

Secondly, as an esteemed member of the blah de blah, you will be aware that the TPMS is fitted because of a regulatory/legal requirement: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system (2008 for the USA, 2012 for the EU). The system is primarily aimed at those sorts of drones who do not, or cannot, check their tyre pressures themselves. So they need to the car to do it for them.

Unfortunately, the system that Lotus chose to implement on the Evora is a) very unreliable and b) quite inaccurate. The system produces so many erroneous warning messages that the driver would be de-sensitised to an actual ‘sudden under-inflation event’ (ie blow out). Additionally, I’ve experience indicated pressures which can be 0.2-3 bar away from actual pressures.

I would hope that any self-respecting Evora owner checks their tyre pressures reasonably regularly (even visually) and that if one of the tyres did lose pressure quickly, they would feel and/or hear it whilst driving. If they couldn’t do that (and they needed to rely on a TPMS), then I would question if an Evora is really the right car for them.

• Like 1
On 01/11/2020 at 15:12, exeterjeep said:

Have you tried doing this for the later post 2017 cars with part A132G6017F  my maxitpms does not read/recognize the sensors in my evora (they are fitted as the come up on the cars display) and the evora options on the machine only have the older part number referenced in its display. I have to the latest version, only really bought it to program via cloning a set of black wheels for my wife's RR evoque, and it worked well for that. The reason I ask is that if i bought a spare set of wheels for the evora i thought i get the tpms working to keep the car happy..

keith.

Thought I would update what I have found out. The new lotus sensor is an alligator sensor  that can be programmed with the alligator programmer (and is also a lotus part T000T1543F), but it needs the software to be downloaded from the lotus cars dealers web site - not lotus techcentre. Found these details on a lotus tsb 2019/02 - downloaded from a USA website

The maxitpms / autel programmer is unlikely to support the new sensor as I emailed them and there response was  

We checked this model year, it has very little market share, sorry currently we have no detailed schedule to cover this.

So this also means that the later elises and exiges will not work on the autel programmer.
I have a new lotus sensor and at the moment I do not know if it has been programmed or not, so will have to try it one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for a run today after fitting a spare wheel/tyre with the new sensor and the car picked it up automatically after a few miles - the original 3 were shown within  a couple of hundred yards. . Have ordered another sensor to fit to the next wheel I have. The guys who fitted the sensor supplied a suitable stem and including fitting it was £10 cash.. (lotus stem cost over  £30 + vat.