free hit
counters
Which brake fluid/pads for fast road/track? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Which brake fluid/pads for fast road/track?

I'm going to do some trackdays this year in my Elise and wanted to know what brake fluid people recommend?

Also need to upgrade the pads but I'll be getting Pagids, or perhaps Carbon Lorraine. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I thought you would go Green stuff? I know you are such a fan!  :hrhr:

Buddsy

• Like 1

Can't say I've much experience of many others but I've always been really happy with mine & wouldn't plan to change,

Doing lots of road miles & lots of trackdays so good varied use....

Castrol SRF fluid

Pagid RS14's

Others have recommended Pagid RS42's to overcome the problems with 14's though I've never felt I had any problems with them!?

Did try some Performance Friction pads a little time ago & though they were great I'll never forgive them for what they did to my wheels..... More recently I fitted some std Ferodo 2500's up front (I have the big break upgrade on my S2) as the 14's I thought were in the garage had vanished & I can now understand why others may have issues with the 14's but for me I'll soon be back in the garage popping some 14's back in.  

Just my thoughts/observations on my S2 hope they help.. 

Firstly:

Buy pads based on temp rating for the track.  Raybestos (Alcon) makes some really nice race pads if you buy the correct compound.  If you ask a proper racing distributor they ought to tell you what works best with your application.  If you are using one piece rotors you will have to compromise on the pad aggressiveness or else you will crack the rotor due to excessive heat.  

All good track day pads dust heavily although I have heard PFC pads can down right leave a lot of muck!

Brake fluid you want you should frankly use for the street as well.  There are a few products that are based on a very good formula and tested with serious race teams.  NOTE: you want the highest dry and wet Temp ratings!

The torque I know very well.  It is used on some high HP heavy cars and does not fail.  The highest rating really but overkill for you application...

https://www.google.com/#q=Torque+RT700+brake+fluid&tbm=shop

The Brake Man Extreme 6

http://www.tbmbrakes.com/racing_brake_fluid

You can buy direct from them.

AP Racing:

http://www.apracing.com/drawings/APR%20600%20-%20DOT%205.1%20-%20%20English.pdf

That should do it!.

BTW:   NO SILICON!

Advice on brakes depends on what you use the car for.

Some general rules are:
Discs – For road use genuine Lotus discs are OK but I like Ultimax Turbo discs (EliseParts, made by EBC?) I’ve achieved an amazing 40,000 miles on the rear including lots of track days. I’m not a fan of drilled discs (apart from cracking, they only improve cooling if you routinely clean out the holes which is quite tedious).

AP racing or Performance Friction floating discs are obviously the ultimate but not needed unless you are racing seriously.

Pads. Always bed in new pads (and fit new pads if fitting new discs). The usual method is to find quiet roads a few miles from home, brake from 60-70mph firmly at c. 50% maximum, drive c. 1 mile to let everything cool, repeat at 75% maximum, repeat, now brake at 95% and drive home slowly trying not to use the brakes. Park in gear with the handbrake off.

Pad options – lots of personal preference & I’ve tried most. For road use genuine Lotus pads are OK. An excellent compromise for working from cold on road & being good on track with good feel & bite is Carbone Lorraine RC5+. Performance Friction  are even better but need a firm initial application. My opinion of EBC pads is not really printable. Mintex are very hard on discs & produce lots of brake dust. Pagid are excellent but noisy & wooden on road, so really only to be recommended for track work.

Calipers. The standard calipers are fine & well balanced, especially the rears with a powerful  handbrake – sticking cables are common but easy to change. Fitting adjustable brake bias isn’t necessary & just gives another variable to add to the confusion.

Brake fade & disc warping.

Even for a pure road car use braided hoses, racing brake fluid (ATE blue racing brake fluid or similar), & change it every 1 – 2 years

General rules for looking after your brakes on track days include:

Always do a cooling down lap at the end of a track session, medium speed, minimum use of brakes. Park in gear with the handbrake off & let the car roll slightly on stopping so the pads release properly. If you can be bothered, roll the car a foot every 5 minutes until the brakes have fully cooled.

Braking later and firmer than you would on the road reduces heat build up – braking gentler & longer is not good on track.

As ever this is my personal opinion but based on tens of thousands of track miles.

Fluid - Motul RBF600 (please don't get Castrol SRF, expensive and can cause issues when mixed with other types of fluid)

I've used CL RC5+ for a few years now and think they are fantastic although they have had a problem with them breaking up which is less than ideal :o but I personally have three sets and performed brilliantly. If I was to change I would go Pagid RC14 or maybe the Brembo Sport Pad (but have no experience of the Brembo)

Standard discs and calipers are fine mate :)

Bibs, on a standard car and discs my suggestion would be just some fresh std Castrol Response Super DOT 4 and Pagid RS 4-2.

If you're willing to compromise a wee bit on road characteristics and are feeling particularly heroic try Pagid RS14.

I use Motul RBF 660 and CL RC6 on AP rotors...which may be overkill for most.  ;)