free hit
counters
Oil in the carbs... - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Potter

Oil in the carbs...

So I've got the turbo plenum dismantled at the moment while my alternator is rebuilt and I replace the aircon compressor, and have noticed some oil pooling in the top part of each carb. 

Need a picture at this point, but if you imagine the gaskets between carb and plenum backplate; two of the gaskets have an extra, larger hole in the top.  That leads into this part of the carb, like an extra chamber at the top corner.

Carbs were spotless when they went back on the car about 1500 miles ago, and it runs well.

I've got the crankcase breather directed to a filter, not back to the airbox, so I'm guessing the oil is coming out of the turbo.

Anyone seen this before and does it suggest the turbo is on the way out?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems odd. The only place that oil could be coming from is the air going to the plenum, if you have removed the connection of the crankcase breather to the turbo inlet, then I'm surprised that oil has got in. With the normal arrangement, you will always get some oil. The turbo seals are of the labyrinth type and seal by dint of the shaft rotation....so it is possible that small amounts of oil might leak through when the engine has been stopped whilst hot. If the engine isn't using oil and not blasting out great quantities of smoke under acceleration, I wouldn't worry!!

My 1988 carb turbo accumulates a small amount of oil at the bottom of the plenum. I havent noticed anything in the carbs but then again I havent stripped them down. I am told its a small amount of leakage around the turbo seals which is fairly normal, although an expensive rebuild should prevent this happening.