free hit
counters
Quality HT leads - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
basalte

Quality HT leads

Hi,

I am still having trouble getting the Elite 2.2 to run when hot.  Replaced all the usual suspects including fuel pump. New lumenition. Cleaned out the carbs. Still splutters and stalls when hot. Been like that since Nov 2013. Starting to go round in circles with any solutions.... :( 

I put new HT leads on it but they are bog-standard and continuing spark problems indicate that better leads are needed.

Would anyone recommend a particular brand and specification ?  Also looking to re-replace the dizzy cap and rotor arm.

Thanks

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Magnecor are supposed to be very good, when my car was playing up it was a shot dizzy cap, i'd swap that out first.

Thanks Chris have ordered these. Tried to order from Magnecor themselves and it was all a bit, well,crap. They managed to think I had a Turbo Elise when I told them it was a non-turbo Elite. They seemed surprised to hear that an Elite is not mid engined. They were surprised that it had the same (ie 907/912) engine as an Esprit .

And (ok, they were trying to be helpful) took my email to email me for me to send engine bay photos

- then rang me to ask why they had taken my email !

....I am not impressed with Magnecor sales even if their leads are good...

Oh dear they will probably send you a set for a v12!

Then you just need to find something with a nice V8 to fit the spare leads to. :-)

Can't you use the NGK ones which go on the Esprit - seem to be good to me? (they might not fit an Elite?) I tried normal ones once and binned them about an hour later, they were utterly useless. 

Ordered Dizzy cap and rotor arm from  SJ, Magnecor leads  from QEC (?)...they arrived today, the moment of truth approaches (again).

The reason I ask is that some engines DO NOT like the use of both suppressed leads and resistor plugs... use one or the other.

This may be a complete mislead for you here BUT at the cost of 4 NGK BP6ES plugs being around a fiver with postage included I would definitely explore this avenue for increasing your spark strength.

My Rover v8 detests resistor plugs with KV85 Magnecor leads.  It loves resistor less plugs and there is no ill effects on EMI or RF interference.  Happy days - a set of 8 plugs for under £12 :D

I ran the Bosch super 4s and soon dumped them - the sales hype for this is a lot better than you think.  A spark will take the easiest route when it comes to jumping a gap... If the spark chooses the smallest gap and that happens to be 0.6mm instead of the recommended 0.8 - 0.9mm then you will have lost spark strength.

Don't give it the option, pre-set your gaps on a single electrode plug and they will stay in range for a good while.

I also found the heat range on the super 4s somewhat suspect.  Tried them in 4 classic cars... never found one that truly likes them... especially when giving them some heavy right foot.

Suppressed leads are typically between 6000 and 9000 ohms

Resistor plugs typically 5000 ohms resistance

My preference would be using suppressed leads as these are draped all over the engine bay and the use of non - resistor plugs to increase spark power.

I am curious to see your findings if you do go this route.

All the best

Kieran

Thanks Kieran, much appreciated...I miss being able to drive the car without bursting into a cold sweat after a few miles...any solutions most welcome !

Dan

I have a ht problem,looking up in workshop manual it says to only use NGK leads with NGK plugs,I am going down this path as other leads give weak or no spark on longest lengths ie no 1&2 cylinders