free hit
counters
Driven: Elise 220 Cup - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Driven: Elise 220 Cup

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Stunning pics from MF once again.

:clap:

interesting info on the downforce, does anyone have any figures to compare to the standard Exige V6 set-up and also the Exige V6 CupR?

Mr Google doesn't seem to know.

In line with what looks like a new naming policy, this car is now the Elise 220 Cup :)

Anyone driven one yet or placed an order? Looks the nuts in black :D

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/lotus/elise-s2/new--elise-s-cup-in-starlight-black/3677370

user647_pic54066_1345008328_zps57b731ef.

Drove one last weekend at Oakmere, back to back with an Exige V6 on the same roads... happy days.

I was temped with the Cup but have opted for an S, on road it felt no different to the S (to me at least) be interesting to drive them back to back on track to see if there is a noticable difference.

I also think they look damn fine in Black.

Here's my brief comparison against the V6 Cup around Goodwood. The car was Bell and Colvill's demo being driven, very respectfully, by a well known ex-Lotus employee. Not mentioning any names but he was taking it very easy. As was I until about 3.30 in. You can see for yourself what happened then. To be fair to the Elise it is £20k cheaper and Goodwood is one of the fastest tracks in the country but the Exige was had it for breakfast down the straights, as it should with 125 more bhp, much wider, stickier tyres and so on. Regardless, the Elise looked absolutely awesome in the bright spring sunshine. Toxic Green really suits it.

I didn't get a chance to drive it unfortunately but I bet it was a riot.

• Like 1

You don't hang about around there :huh::thumbsup:

Jonny, I'd be interested in the top speeds at the end of the straight, just before Woodcote, for both cars. Do you know yours, perhaps?

Of course your Exige would be more than the 128 mph in my Elise S CR, just before braking, but my thought is that the Elise Cup would be noticeably slower than the CR given that it tops out at 140 rather than 145 for the CR.  And would have noticeable slower acceleration at all speeds over say 100 mph.  It wins around the corners of course, particularly the fast Goodwood ones, but down force doesn't come for free!  Comparative lap times for Goodwood, linking the two factors, on the same tyres etc, or on any similar circuit would be interesting. Not been done?  (I don't count numbers at Hethel - has long "fast" straights - with numbers by Lotus, but no detail that I have come across.

The Exige V6 exceeds 145mph there. Not sure by how much, my eyes were preoccupied with hitting the braking point! However, the Elise was being driven very respectfully as mentioned. I'm sure a flat-out lap would set a very impressive time but Goodwood definitely favours the Exige.

I'd love to try the Elise Cup back-to-back with the CR, that would make for a really interesting comparison. Hopefully the opportunity will arise before too long.

Thank you Jonny. I know what you mean about the braking point and I had however many tenths more to think about it than you!

Silence about any independent and same tyres Cup/CR circuit comparison may become a baby elephant in the Lotus marketing suite soon!  It won't matter to those who just like the look of the Cup though.

I'd love to try the Elise Cup back-to-back with the CR, that would make for a really interesting comparison. Hopefully the opportunity will arise before too long.

I'd like to see Elise Cup vs CR vs S would be very interesting around the same track on the same tyres straight out the box as it were, the above would also be very interesting, in fact I'd love to try that be a good day out that :)

As it happens I just drove a 220 Cup today, thanks to Jamie at B&C and I have to say I thought it was really quite special. The steering is even sweeter than the V6 Exige and communication even more detailed, the damping beautifully judged and I thought it was impressively quick too, pulling hard to the cut-out. I thought I'd miss the 8500rpm of the older Toyota four but this was a really convincing supercharger install with perfect glitch free fuelling. There was a lovely balance to all the elements, steering, braking, power, grip, all combine for a very rapid and extremely tactile delight. Of all the current range I think the 220 Cup is the first car someone new to Lotus should drive. It distills everything I like about the Lotus approach to going fast into one very cool, compact package! Pure magic!

I know they are expensive for the bhp on offer and the relative proximity in terms of price to the basic V6 S makes the 6 cylinder car a no-brainer for most but the 220 Cup is a real gem. Best Elise I've ever driven by some way. B&C have a matt black one in the showroom that looks worth every penny of the asking price. Very cool thing.

• Like 1

That looks absolutely fantastic.  If you could have a word with my OH too - although she may struggle to pull the Horse Box with it.

We took it to Spa this weekend, I did not miss the V6 for a second. The 220 Cup was beyond perfect, cornering ability, balance and responsiveness was just unbelievable. The confidence it inspired was like nothing I've ever driven. Watching back videos we were lapping 2 up with traffic at 3:06, only a second slower than my best in the V6 last visit in similar conditions (although I am way off the pace there I know). I am pretty sure there quite a lot more in the car.

In the wet however the AD048 were lethal. 

There ought to be a lot more in that time... Given an Evora NA did 3:06s :lol:

Remember it was still just a dry line when we were forced to finish early due to inappropriately trying to catch a Yellow Evora!

Edit: I thought your evora was an S - respect!

• Like 1

As you can tell I really liked the 220 Cup. In a world where people didn't care about horsepower and only cared about pure driving pleasure there would be a long waiting list for them. Just such a peach of a car.

An Elise 220S must be an absolutely stunning road car too but the 220 Cup is definitely a bit special. There's a lot more to it than a fancy aero package. I will always have a soft spot for the Toyota 2ZZGE engine but I think I prefer the new one to the old supercharged engine (in 220 form). I wasn't expecting that but it's definitely more torquey and sounds good up around 7k. Driving the Evora 400 up the same stretch of road less than an hour later reminded me you'd have to work one very hard indeed to pull away from a 220 Cup on the road.

I'll ask B&C what David Pittard did in the 220 Cup around Spa. He'll have certainly got the best out of it!

• Like 1