free hit
counters
Bolts to hold the cooler and cowl? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jacques

Bolts to hold the cooler and cowl?

HI everyone,

I am loosening as much as I can to take it Down, but from the drawings, I cannot see, which bolts goes through the front and into the front compartment?

So, is it for example two bolts? Or 4 bolts incl. the cowl?

Or are the bolts sticking into the spare Wheel compartment ?

Or are the somewhere under the lightpod motors?

I think I would like to just loosen the cowl and take the primary watercooler away, together with the fan arrangement.

Later on, the lot.

Depending on how the are (not leaking), is it a good idea to buy a new watercooler and a stainless frame? Or is that completely foolish?

Or should I take the plunge and order the big set from alunox, now that I am anyway doing it?

Only thing is, I don't like to cut into Things, and I understood, that something has to be cut, to make the big set fit?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

okay, 4 hours later, I managed to undo and take off the left side oil cooler duct.

Now, it seems, I only miss to locate the two mysteious long 135mm bolts (if they exists on a SE).

And I also miss to undo the wireing for the fans.

The cowling an rear watercooler is still totally stuck.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: what a total cr.p system. How on Earth can someone design that?

answer: the were totally and utterly stoned, while listening to the song "Because I got high", just in a special Lotus version like: I was going to fix that fan, until I got high"...  :smoke:

okay, managed to take off the remaining two oil cooler ducts, 4 in total. So now the oilcoolers are "free" to be worked on, below. I guess that I should focus on loosening fittings below first. No way they will give. I heated them up, plenty of anti rust screw fluid every day for three weeks.

The fitting hex on the oil coolers themselves, I cannot measure for sure how big they are, so does someone know the size for surwe, before I buy some more wrenches?

The fitting from the oil cooler hoses (below) seems to be between 28 and 29 mm. Are they inches?

I had some big adjustable wrenches, but it was clear, that if I used more force, I will just break the oil coolers inside.

Can new original ones or similar with the inlet and outled correctly placed, still be had?

As many described, I need to loosen them to swing them away to be able to get the three radiators and the big cowl off the car.

The top nut on the underside of the oil coolers seem the be the half hight type, and any wrenches I have are too fat, so they grip the hose fitting as well.

Any tips?

I am at a loss of how to attack them.

Also taking off the double aluminium Water tube for the charge cooler near left hand front Wheel, is a bit corroded. Soed it still exist to be bought new?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I'll post a couple of pics, when I get home. 

Here are the offending oil cooler lines...

HELP!

Kind regards,

Jacques ;)

post-1034-0-44263200-1424622014.jpg

post-1034-0-49310200-1424622073.jpg

Hi Jacques.i have been working on my oil coolers se turbo.i bought two setrab oil coolers with top feeds.Probably no better off.But I feel for you....Now in the process of fitting oil cooler ducts back on .Now need some new fixings .But nearly there.....Hopefully ...Mike se turbo .Hope you can sort it......

Thanks for the advices Guys.

Travis: Yes, I've sprayed them with WD40 each day for a week. Then I tried a bottle of Caramba rust loosener each day for a week, and finally I used a bottle of Wera screw loosener fluid each day for a week. To no avail.

I cannot buy the PB Blaster here. Sounds effective though.

Meanwhile i also heated it many times with a heatgun on max for some minutes, say 5-7 minutes. Didn't loosen up anything.

Then the next thing is: what do you use to counterhold the flat welded nut on the oil coolers themselves? A normal wrench is too thick. Are there some special thinner wrenches? I spent a small fortune in buying big mm wrenches, that doesn't fit ;(  (28mm, 29mm, 30mm).

Maybe if there is some sort of wrench that is enough flat and fits (size ?), I might have a better chance of loosening it? Or maybe it's just totally corroded on the thread.

I just don't understand how it's meant to come off....?

Another thing is: why on Earth did Lotus make the shape of the big cowl to fit under the two oil coolers? It would seem to be enough to bolt it on and having the shape of the cowl go around the oil coolers, not above?

It would be awfully nice to have it all off, before I go on vacation at the end of March.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Bicycle wrenches are thin. Maybe you could grind one of those to the correct size for the nut on the cooler.

Good idea, I'll ask a friend tomorrow morning in his shop. Hmm... I really don't have time for going to job with all this ;)

Thanks,

Jacques.

Mike: I think I say someone having a new oil cooler set, if all crashes, with the correct placed inlet and outlet. I think they had press on aluminium fittings in blue and red. So one could cut the hosed's fittings and slide them over the new ones and double fasten them.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Okay, no heatgun, flamethrower, cooling spray, penetration fluid, rustdissolver, special made very large tools and general pursuasion could loosen the oil cooler fittings. So both oil coolers died today.

I will moan them for the rest of the day, and send Lotus a nice thought of how to assemble a car.

I will find a mini cutter and cut the remaining fittings apart and try the acid to dissolve the aluminium inside the thread in steel on the oil vooler hoses, so they can be reused.

More later.

At least I managed to get the light motors off, and get the long oil cooler pipe in the fromt compartment off, with out any damages.

7 hours spent today on something that should take max ½ hour incl. light motors. I'll take those apart and clean and regrease them plus maybe give them some better gears.

Now, the question is this: should I spend a full alunox set, or just two copies of the oil coolers? Does it all get leaking easily? I mean after 25 years, something can look good, but be close to the edge of leaking. It would be nice if I didn't have to do it all over in a years time or so.

What did the rest of you guys do?

Cheers,

Jacques.

Don't use acid.  Use sodium Hydroxide to dissolve the aluminum part of the oil cooler out of the oil line fitting.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/52966-oil-cooler-removal/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/66605-oil-cooler-problems/

All right, read about it, and will use that. I'll be wearing Chemical gloves, mask and filter and eyeprotection ;)

Got to wait untill the weekend though. And I have to dremel my way through the top and bottom fittings first.

Thanks,

Jacques.

Hi Jacques.i have had a lot of hassle fitting new oil coolers .I bought 2 setrab oil coolers both with top oil feeds.looking back its been a lot of hassle.And it would have been easier to have bought the same figment as on the car.i know you can still buy the lotus fitment through sj sports cars.Good luck .Mike

Pity the oil coolers died Jacques. When I was working as a mechanical fitter,using two hammers across the flats of the nut would sometimes loosen them. Not much room under the front of the car though. :(

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Guys ;)   I'll learn from your experience Mike, and look for the correct oil coolers or eventually an alunox set. Depends on how the three watercoolers/aircon cooler are, when I manage to take them off the car.

I think I'll call them right away and hear some more.  ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

Okay, to update on this for future use, I did this:

I cut with a Proxxon (like a dremel) through the nut and washers, and broke off the oil cooler thread, which then wer stuck in each of the two oil cooler lines.

Then I submerged these into two glass jars with a weak sodium hydroxide mix. I mean weak or your Health will be damaged. Read carefully on the web first!!! Wear correct clothes, gloved, glasses and active mask.

Voila, no broken thread iside the steel fittings.

New oil coolers, the correct setrab ones, can be bought from almost all dealers, as a non-Lotus part, for under half Price.

New nuts ans washers, and copper grease or wera ceramic paste.

Hope this will be of help to future Esprit owners.

Cheers,

Jacques.