free hit
counters
How much in the flow? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

How much in the flow?

I need to fit the temp sensor in the pic into the ally plug then into the silicone hose. How much if any of the end of the sensor needs to be in the coolant flow so I can reduce the side  pipe and ally plug  accordingly?  The hose is going between the pump housing and the inlet manifold. 

post-1261-0-68882700-1423996073.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An interesting point. First thing is to ensure that the sensor is in the coolant, and there isn't an air bubble trapped in the pipe. The whole shebang will reach a steady state, so the temperature indication overall ought to be OK whatever...but the more of the plain bit of the brass sensor sticks into the fluid flow, then the more rapid the indicator should respond, I think. I assume the aluminium plug and sensor fits into the side pipe coming out of the top of the main one in the photo? Things to consider....the plug has to stay in the pipe, so cutting it short might affect it's grip on the inside of the pipe....a strategically placed hose clip should help. The length of the silicone side pipe could be reduced, and the plug cut back too....I think getting the sensor to the point where the end of it is level with the inside of the left hand pipe, and unshielded by the plug, would be my solution....gets the sensor nicely in contact with the flow without obstructing it.... but I don't think it's going to be critical.

Can you fit it rotated through something close to 180 so the sensor assembly and the side pipe  is at the bottom of the main pipe? No air pockets that way.

Yes the small pipe is where it will go and it will sit horizontally so shouldn't have any air pocket.   I think by reducing the length of the ally plug to just over the thickness of the jubilee  clip I can get a maximum of 5mm of the sensor clear into the flow of the main 38mm pipe. Hopefully that will be enough.  I will also bore out the unthreaded part of the ally  plug to 18mm to allow as much coolant as I can around it.

The plan is by fitting the sensor  here I can leave the thermal ignition valve  in the middle of the inlet manifold. Thereby   making it quick and easy to change back to dizzy operation if needed or a future owner wants to.  Plus the tiv and the sensor had different threads which was going to make it a load more work to do.

Thanks John and Colin.

Finished result.  The end of the sensor is 2mm inside the side pipe so almost flush with the inner bore.  The pipe clip is over the ally plug but it does compress the hose hopefully enough to stop it coming off.

post-1261-0-55537000-1424464135.jpg

post-1261-0-03248200-1424464155.jpg

post-1261-0-98973300-1424464182.jpg

Looks good to me......