free hit
counters
gearbox rebuild - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mikeeech

gearbox rebuild

For my restoration I brought a 5 speed box from a low mileage car being broken on eBay. I am taking it to a place in Enfield on Tuesday for on overhaul since, to put it in only to find it needs work would be a pain. I have taken the top off and all looks good so I was think oil seals would need changing as a minimum but I have heard that the oil seals are impossible to get and the case will need machining to get newer seals to fit (I can't be more specific I'm afraid).

Does anyone have any advice on what should be checked and/or changed?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First and second synchro rings tend to get destroyed, I was told.

I dropped it off today and the guy is going to take a look and get back to me. He says he's done 5 or 6 of them in his time but I may need to help him source parts. I'm hoping its all in good shape internally speaking. The case will be bead blasted to clean up the Ali and will take 2-3weeks so fingers crossed!

Do you have an update on this, Mike? I'm considering doing this next winter. First and third synchros are gone and it whines badly.

Thanks,

Scott

No although it has been a while. I took it to a place in London for rebuild in the end. A place full of gears, smelling of oil with a rebuilt lotus elan gearbox ready for collection. I did say I wasn't in a rush for it but the guy that was going to do it has been out of the country for a while and will not start on it until the end of this month. I will update when I get it back

The Lotus gearbox in my 1978 Elite has excessive play in the rear sleeve bearing (leading to lots of vibration), apart from dodgy synchro on 2nd and a whine in 5th. So I am looking for somebody to reliably rebuild it. Any recommendations?

Alan Voigt in Birkenhead, Merseyside has a very good reputation for old lotus transmissions.

The 5 speed box in the elite was also used in the elan 130/5, so expertise in these transmissions stretches a bit further than Elites/eclats.

Personally, I would buy a 2nd hand one from a parts dealer like LB. If its guff, then they give you another one. Plenty of them around.

D