free hit
counters
oil pressure warning light - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cor

oil pressure warning light

I think i have seen a post on this but cannot find it.

Normally when i change oil and filter on a car i tend to pull the spark plugs out

and turn the engine with the starter motor until the oil light dies so i know there is oil

pressure.

Then the plugs goe in again and the engine is started.

Whith the esprit i cannot get this oil light off by turning the engine with the starer motor???

Last time the body was not on the car so i pulled of the timing belt and turned the oil pump 

with my drilling machine until i had oil pressure.

How do you guys normally do this??

Thanks Cor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On a later car 88 I was told the light won't go out until it's started or has higher revs than the starter will do.

I

I've never managed to get oil pressure by simply cranking on my 82 Turbo, but it always comes up just after starting. Like you, I always prime the oil system if I have the engine out of the car.

The oil warning light tends to stay on for a few seconds after the car is started.

The oil warning light is related to RPM. More info here. http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/14704-low-oil-pressure-reading-intermittent/?p=230966

I don't think you'll be able to get it to go out with such slow cranking.  I know it's nerve wracking, but it's not an issue after an oil change, since you still have oil in the lines, and you would have just poured oil in the cams, as long as you wait for most of it to drain down to the sump.

This is really only an issue if the engine hasn't been started for a very long time, or was completely drained and cleaned, as in during an engine rebuild.  Then you do have to take apart, and pack the oil pump with something like vaseline to help it develop initial suction, and the engine rotating parts are coated with assembly lube containing Moly.

Many thanks t o all,

travis, that was the post i was looking for!